321     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
You're right, that was crass. What I should have said was if Toronto keeps thinking York Region is just a grain of sand in Toronto's Rod Ford-sized aquarium, Toronto will be forced to accept a Yonge extension without a DRL.

Toronto never puts up a fight to support a DRL -- I've never seen it discussed seriously by city council and the TTC aside from "studies". The only time I see the DRL being discussed seriously is on message forums. I would absolutely love it, as an advocate of transit, to see Toronto have the nuts to say "Hey listen, if we're expanding up to Richmond Hill, help us expand downtown; where we're starving for transit." But it will never happen.

Toronto/TTC won't be "forced" to accept the Yonge extension, they'll be elated that someone is giving them money to build a subway.

"Yonge extension? If you give us money, we'll build it!"

Please, I'm not trying to start a war here and maybe I've misinterpreted your quote (correct me if I'm wrong), but stop trying to pander Toronto's problems on York Region, it's getting very tiresome.

Please, I'm not trying to start a war here and maybe I've misinterpreted your quote (correct me if I'm wrong), but stop trying to pander Toronto's problems on York Region, it's getting very tiresome.
You're wrong, and your comments were dead on.

I have no beef with York Region. My complaint is with Toronto being reactive to York Region (or not reacting at all) instead of being proactive regarding the DRL/Yonge.

You're wrong, and your comments were dead on.

I have no beef with York Region. My complaint is with Toronto being reactive to York Region (or not reacting at all) instead of being proactive regarding the DRL/Yonge.

YAY!!!! A discussion/argument that was settled in less than one page!! :)

Try this on for size ... might make you feel better about it. There's a relatively decent demand as far as Steeles West.

At the ends of the major subway lines (Kennedy, Kipling, Downsview ... not sure about Finch, always seems fine the rare occasion I'm there) the subway just crawls, waiting for trains at the end to clear back into service; always seems to take to ever to go to the last couple of stops. Wouldn't it be great if there was another couple of stops unused stations east of Kennedy, and west of Kipling, so that service to those Kennedy and Kipling was better? Well, now at Steeles West, that problems is solved. :)

Or you could loop the line (YUS) or the terminal (bubble), and not have the issues with trains leaving the station delaying those coming into the station

Or you could loop the line (YUS) or the terminal (bubble), and not have the issues with trains leaving the station delaying those coming into the station
A circle line would make things better? Really? A circle line might well function well with 4, or maybe even 8 trains an hour. But the YUS line is already over 25 trains an hour, and they want to increase it to over 30.

Anyone who ever used the former Circle line in London was well aware how badly it functioned compared to the other tube lines. And I don't think it ever was scheduled for 30 trains an hour. After a half-century or so they finally gave up trying to make it run, and instead no longer run it as a loop, instead just a simple line with two terminals.

Certainly improving the terminal design would improve most of our terminals ... but I was trying to help find a silver lining, for those who can't see any positives.

I don't think a loop at the end of the line or to link the ends of the lines is required. A tail track with three storage tracks plus ATO should provide plenty of time to turn around a train. I can't imagine why it would take more than 3 minutes to shut off one cab of an electric train, walk to the other end of the train, and activate that cab.

I don't think a loop at the end of the line or to link the ends of the lines is required. A tail track with three storage tracks plus ATO should provide plenty of time to turn around a train. I can't imagine why it would take more than 3 minutes to shut off one cab of an electric train, walk to the other end of the train, and activate that cab.

Given the fact that both the guard/driver will be at each end of the new TR, if you can't have a train ready to move in the opposite direction within a minute, they need to be replace with crews who can and be relocated to the surface routes.

If you are wanting to give crews a break, then you do the stand down where the inbound crew is replace by the 1st or 2nd crew from the train in front of them. It can be done under a minute.

I know. I don't understand the argument for loops to improve service at all. It doesn't take more than 1.5 minutes to switch a track and have a train clear the switch and the headway planned is 1.5 minutes. There is plenty of time without building a loop.

Anyone who ever used the former Circle line in London was well aware how badly it functioned compared to the other tube lines. And I don't think it ever was scheduled for 30 trains an hour. After a half-century or so they finally gave up trying to make it run, and instead no longer run it as a loop, instead just a simple line with two terminals.
I always got a chuckle out of the "Circle Line", but to be fair it was built by 1884 and was rebranded the Circle Line in 1949. It didn't have much exclusive track, so the headways between Circle trains were constrained by other trains inbetween. ATO signalling currently being installed will allow the track to handle 32 trains (combined Circle, Metro, and Hammersmith) per hour by 2018.

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news/c...or-must-convince-council-to-kill-transit-city

I've heard various discussions on the topic, but no concrete conclusion to a very straight-forward topic: doesn't (or shouldn't) the city vote on the cancellation of the Sheppard LRT before going ahead with the new plan?

That said, if anyone is a lame duck, I'd put my money on McGuinty. Seeing as the province and feds already have spent money on the project, he should have said that the city has 3-6 months to find the funding for Sheppard, otherwise the old plan goes ahead. Instead, he played a hail marry by caving in to Ford in hopes of gaining some right of center votes, and not only did he not get those votes, but he has lost some left of center votes as well.

I was reading through the memorandum of understanding (MOU) and wondered about that. Just when will this have to go in front of council? Is it still possible for council to reverse this now since it has become apparent that Ford's private subway is nothing more than unicorns?

The tide seems to be turning at City Hall. Perhaps after the provincial election if the Liberals get back in, they'll put the screws to Ford?

Memorandum of Understanding said:
4. APPROVALS

The parties agree that they shall each independently seek all necessary approvals from their respective authorities and governing bodies as required for any agreement resulting from this MOU.

Toronto will be solely responsible for securing necessary approvals from Toronto City Council and the TTC.

Metrolinx will be solely responsible for securing necessary approvals from its board of directors and from the Province of Ontario.

I agree Id like TC reinstated. I was always hoping that at election time MCginty would "find" some extra money to promise the Eglinton Line make it all the way to the Airport and for Finch to make it all the way to Yonge. But at this point Id just like it started so somewhere down the line it could be finished. Starting a Subway though or extending one is just repeating the Sheppard Stub mistake since there wont be enough money in the future to significantly lengthen the line. Reinstate TC with further stop spacing.

TC is officially dead and will NEVER get resurrected no matter who is in power at City Hall or Queen's Park.

TC is officially dead and will NEVER get resurrected no matter who is in power at City Hall or Queen's Park.

Officially, it's mostly dead.

princess_bride_280.jpg

[video]http://youtu.be/xbE8E1ez97M[/video]

Last edited:

Back