313     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
If Eglinton is going to be fully grade-separated, don't you think it'd make more sense to have it a fare-paid area rather than POP like the other new LRVs?

If Eglinton is going to be fully grade-separated, don't you think it'd make more sense to have it a fare-paid area rather than POP like the other new LRVs?

I agree. Although Eglinton would be the perfect place to implement automated fare payments. Use it as a test run for the rest of the system, so that they can gradually eliminate the need for booth fare collectors.

You could do both - like they do in Vancouver. And still don't have staff or gates.

Personally I like the way they do it in Boston. They have the Charlie Card machines at every station, and at busy stations (or stations near major tourist attractions) they have an attendant there to help people purchase the tickets (Airport, Government Center, Aquarium, etc). At the minor stations it's just the machines.

So for Eglinton, have the major stations (Black Creek, Eglinton West, Eglinton, Science Centre, Kennedy) manned during operation hours to help with people, and the rest are all just machines.

Personally I like the way they do it in Boston. They have the Charlie Card machines at every station, and at busy stations (or stations near major tourist attractions) they have an attendant there to help people purchase the tickets (Airport, Government Center, Aquarium, etc). At the minor stations it's just the machines.

So for Eglinton, have the major stations (Black Creek, Eglinton West, Eglinton, Science Centre, Kennedy) manned during operation hours to help with people, and the rest are all just machines.
I'm sure that Eglinton would be a combination of staffeded and machines even under the current design. No one is saying there wouldn't ever be a ticket office.

The issue I think is do you have 100% staffed stations like the subway, and do you have turnstiles, or just POP and a fare-paid area like Vancouver.

How does Boston do the stations? Do they all have gates like New York City, or open access like Vancouver?

I'm sure that Eglinton would be a combination of staffeded and machines even under the current design. No one is saying there wouldn't ever be a ticket office.

The issue I think is do you have 100% staffed stations like the subway, and do you have turnstiles, or just POP and a fare-paid area like Vancouver.

How does Boston do the stations? Do they all have gates like New York City, or open access like Vancouver?

It's an interesting gate, it's two waist-high (well, waist high for me, I'm 6'4", haha) clear plastic pieces that slide open when you put your Charlie Card through.

Yes.

Interfacing between PAYE and POP is awkward because people transferring from POP to PAYE need to have their fares checked. Given that all the routes connecting to the Eglinton-Scarborough LRT use PAYE, it would make sense to use it on the LRT too. POP made sense when the LRT was above ground (and it would be difficult to build effective fare gates), but it doesn't any more. Although PAYE would slightly increase the cost of most stations, it would make the Subway interchange stations simpler, more convenient and cheaper to build. It would likely be more profitable too.

On a semi-related note to all of this, I'm headed off to Europe tomorrow, going to visit Berlin, Nuremberg, Munich, Vienna, and Prague. From a transit perspective, is there anything interesting going on in these cities (recently opened projects, etc) that I should check out and maybe take a few pics of? Suggestions welcome.

On a semi-related note to all of this, I'm headed off to Europe tomorrow, going to visit Berlin, Nuremberg, Munich, Vienna, and Prague. From a transit perspective, is there anything interesting going on in these cities (recently opened projects, etc) that I should check out and maybe take a few pics of? Suggestions welcome.
Get a taste of what could be coming your way in Ottawa and the GTA except Toronto.

There a lot of thing you will find in those cities to take shots of once you start using the systems.

Have fun

Get a taste of what could be coming your way in Ottawa and the GTA except Toronto.

There a lot of thing you will find in those cities to take shots of once you start using the systems.

Have fun

Thanks! And yeah, it'll be nice to get a feel for different transit systems. I think Berlin is a really good example of what can be done around transit, because entire districts of the city have been rebuilt from scratch with transit as the focus of the district.

Back