342     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
I'm not sure why one would think it's anything more than that ... and perhaps some queue jump lanes at 2 or 3 bad traffic lights. Clearly there isn't the $ there to start building wider roads, and no one would suggest we take a lane away from the existing road.
I wonder if the TTC hasn't experimented with a near side stop dedicated for unloading passengers only at a red light, and a far side stop for loading and if the bus went through a green, unloading also. It can have some sort of improvement of efficiency during rush hour periods when buses come in herds and only a couple get through the green and the rest are at the amber/red light

He was against LRT because it was "taking away roadspace from cars" AND because they were "streetcars". Let's not forget, he also wanted to replace streetcars with buses. This BRT project meets one of his two criteria. The question is, which one is more important?

Also, he was willing to do "enhanced bus service" on Finch, which would presumably involve taking away portions of lanes for traffic. So clearly he's not against buses.

Not because they were streetcars... because they were getting in the way of cars. He wanted to replace the streetcars with buses so they would pull over to the stops and let cars pass more easily.

I have never heard of BRT referred to as "enhanced bus service" so I think it is a huge stretch to think that it means taking lanes of traffic away. The fact that it isn't labelled as BRT likely means it is NOT BRT. He is not against buses, but he is against obstacles to cars or lanes being taken away from cars. Enhanced bus service likely means exactly what it sounds like... more buses assigned to the route and a 36E bus.

Not because they were streetcars... because they were getting in the way of cars. He wanted to replace the streetcars with buses so they would pull over to the stops and let cars pass more easily.

I have never heard of BRT referred to as "enhanced bus service" so I think it is a huge stretch to think that it means taking lanes of traffic away. The fact that it isn't labelled as BRT likely means it is NOT BRT. He is not against buses, but he is against obstacles to cars or lanes being taken away from cars. Enhanced bus service likely means exactly what it sounds like... more buses assigned to the route and a 36E bus.

Which honestly may due the trick. An express bus that is.

I don't know if there is a thread for the Pan Am Games, but not only are we not seeing any plans to enhance TTC routes by the next election, I don't see any lasting City transport infrastructure projects by 2015.

When Ford announced his Sheppard plan, didn't anybody ask whether Ford had promised Sheppard would be ready by Pan Am? Oops, I guess it doesn't really matter.

Now, in the benefit-of-the-doubt department, Ford did have a series of transport planks to his platform including filling missing links in the road network. Is the Public Works and Infrastructure Committee working on implementing these, and will there be anything like a updated city-wide transport plan that could go out for stakeholder input?

I can't see a lot happening, considering the budget hole -- along with promises to decrease the backlog of road reconstruction work.

Sigh again.

As for a Finch "Express" in mixed traffic... if that would do the trick, TTC planners would have done it already. We're talking about a need for serious, marked improvement in trip times and reliability here (and along any other route that is subject to increasing congestion effects). I think Christopher Hume reported the Finch West route handles 15 million trips a year. The Spadina extension might eventually boost that?

-ed d.

Last edited:
We're talking about a need for serious, marked improvement in trip times and reliability here (and along any other route that is subject to increasing congestion effects).

I've no idea how to really get that without dedicated lanes, which I honestly think will never happen under the current administration.

Anecdotally, I recall that congestion and gridlock seem worse on the outer 416 arteries than south of Eg. If true, adding buses that get stuck in gridlock will be little more than a band-aid solution here.

And the "remedy" will be unsatisfactory to pretty much all of us.

I wonder what the citizen presentations will be like, whenever they start the Environmental Assessment for the changes/amendments/new plans for the Ford brothers' transportation city plans. Or will they not do any, because they already know what is right and don't have to listen to comments from the general public?

I, for one, will definitely be altering any of my appointments to see any presentations they might make.

I wonder if the TTC hasn't experimented with a near side stop dedicated for unloading passengers only at a red light, and a far side stop for loading and if the bus went through a green, unloading also. It can have some sort of improvement of efficiency during rush hour periods when buses come in herds and only a couple get through the green and the rest are at the amber/red light

This is a great idea. Unfortunately, TTC is unlikely to adopt it, since some of the patrons will get confused and start complaining (that they were not allowed to disembark at a near side stop, or not given enough time to disembark at farside).

Finch West bus

A Finch West express that uses the hydro corridor busway between Dufferin and Keele, might slice 3 - 4 min off the rush-hour trip time since that section of Finch tends to be congested.

Other than that, a mixed-traffic express is unlikely to help much, because of congestion.

This is a great idea. Unfortunately, TTC is unlikely to adopt it, since some of the patrons will get confused and start complaining (that they were not allowed to disembark at a near side stop, or not given enough time to disembark at farside).
For the first problem, I can give you a vague depiction of an unloading stop compared to its regular counterpart. Some stops need stickers slapped on since there are already some near + farside stops.
ttcbusstopposterp228192.jpg

For the second problem, it may be the fault of the rider that doors don't wait forever for them, unless the driver passes a green signal and utterly refuses to unlock the back door

i was thinking of a new idea...

why not make a new route from Humber College to Downsview station?

If we are coming from the west, the Bus route will follow finch from Humber College up to Sentinel Drive...

1. At Sentinel, the buses would turn left and then right onto Murray Ross Parkway up to its endpoint at Keele...
2. Buses would then continue along the Busway and follow the route of 196 University Express up to Downsview Station.
3. Buses could then travel down Sheppard, like the 196 B, towards Sheppard-Yonge Station...if it makes any sense to do so.

What you have then is a completely new "rocket" that goes from Humber College in the west to Downsview Station which
helps to get a rough idea at how many trips could be diverted to the Spadina line from the Yonge Line.

It could cost absolutely nothing because the entire route is already built...it can be put into service as soon as possible!

It may not be a Finch West LRT but i think it will certainly do something...

For the first problem, I can give you a vague depiction of an unloading stop compared to its regular counterpart. Some stops need stickers slapped on since there are already some near + farside stops.

For the second problem, it may be the fault of the rider that doors don't wait forever for them, unless the driver passes a green signal and utterly refuses to unlock the back door

I do not contest the fact that most of riders, who pay attention, can easily handle the arrangement you proposed.

The point is that a few riders do not pay any attention, will mess themselves up, and then will start complaining to TTC. TTC wants to avoid complains, therefore a few stupid riders carry more weight then the silent majority that would benefit from the more efficient bus operation.

i was thinking of a new idea...

why not make a new route from Humber College to Downsview station?

If we are coming from the west, the Bus route will follow finch from Humber College up to Sentinel Drive...

1. At Sentinel, the buses would turn left and then right onto Murray Ross Parkway up to its endpoint at Keele...
2. Buses would then continue along the Busway and follow the route of 196 University Express up to Downsview Station.
3. Buses could then travel down Sheppard, like the 196 B, towards Sheppard-Yonge Station...if it makes any sense to do so.

What you have then is a completely new "rocket" that goes from Humber College in the west to Downsview Station which
helps to get a rough idea at how many trips could be diverted to the Spadina line from the Yonge Line.

It could cost absolutely nothing because the entire route is already built...it can be put into service as soon as possible!

It may not be a Finch West LRT but i think it will certainly do something...

There used to be a Finch West express bus that ran to Wilson subway (terminus of the Spadina line at that time). It was cancelled due to low ridership.

Although, the demand patterns could have changed since then.

There used to be a Finch West express bus that ran to Wilson subway (terminus of the Spadina line at that time). It was cancelled due to low ridership.

Although, the demand patterns could have changed since then.

That would be the dearly-departed route 118. It stupidly got deep-sixed just before Downsview station opened, which I have a hunch would have made it considerably more attractive. In light of the ridership numbers on Finch, I have a hard time believing it wouldn't be viable today.

That would be the dearly-departed route 118. It stupidly got deep-sixed just before Downsview station opened, which I have a hunch would have made it considerably more attractive. In light of the ridership numbers on Finch, I have a hard time believing it wouldn't be viable today.

32 Eglinton West also had an express bus, but was cancelled due to the narrow road made it useless. Even without an express branch, Eglinton West is getting a rapid transit line of some sort (at least east of Black Creek). Also a proposal for a widening of Eglinton West in Etobicoke for an reserved bus lane was rejected by the residents.

Last edited:
32 Eglinton West also had an express bus, but was cancelled due to the narrow road made it useless. Even without an express branch, Eglinton West is getting a rapid transit line of some sort (at least east of Black Creek). Also a proposal for a widening of Eglinton West in Etobicoke for an reserved bus lane was rejected by the residents.

This bugs me. It's already an arterial, why are they opposing bus lanes? I would understand if it was a local street. It's in cases like this I wish the City would just say "Objection noted. We're doing it anyway. STFU."

Back