News   Jul 16, 2024
 213     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 474     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 595     2 

Transformation AGO (5s, Gehry) COMPLETE

On the subject of size, I am not sure where it stands now, but won't the Weston gift for the western end increase the total further?

The Weston Learning Centre is a renovation of existing space, not an addition, so it won't add any area to the total.

Lest we forget once again, Toronto's original barnacle staircase, in the dome of 999 Queen--no longer with us, but immortal to all who've thumbed through Toronto: No Mean City

1001dome.jpg

I payed the AGO a visit my self today!

I'm not into art per say ... let's just say I have no sense of what's good or bad :)

So ignoring the art for a second ...... it was Amazing!!

Actually I really liked the art to for what it's worth. More so the way it was displayed.

The space they've built seems to work really really well with all the pieces.

It's something we can all be very proud of to say the least!

The sad part was I was only able to see the first 2 floors. There's also a very interesting tour in the Grange of some artifacts they've uncovered there.

To sum it up I don't find it as extravagant as the Rom but it actually worked! That is to say some parts of the ROM just don't seem to show the material off as well as they should. No problem of that here what so ever. I absolutely love the wood and how it's the central theme.

OCAD Gehry

This intersection is becoming very important architecturally. I'm sure we'll see the old boxes replaced soon enough. OCAD's 'red building' could be redone like this by Gehry:

450px-Hannover_Gehry-Tower.jpg

It would fit right in and is simple enough to be afforded by OCAD.

Here's a crude paste in...
3031522146a535809f2ebsy8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
MetroMan - nicely done!

...but it is always best to credit copyright holders when reposting and ask before screwing around with their work!

Savvy billionaire Ken Thomson got an excellent deal by piggybacking his collection on the AGO, rather than building his own gallery. Half of the items on display there now are from his bequest. He's enriched their collection by adding depth to their Canadian 20th Century ( Milne, Kurelek, Group of Seven ), First Nations, and 19th Century ( whoa! hold the Kreighoffs ... ) and European holdings.

Although it's too late to declare 'one room too many Krieghoffs' because that's just not going to change, I am now hoping that the AGO will continue to grow so that the Thomson Collection ends up as a smaller percentage of the total gallery space. I'd like to see a reworking of the Sam & Alaya Zacks exhibition galleries, the loading docks below them, and the parking lot between the AGO and OCAD completely reworked next. Significant space could be added in that area - not that I would expect anything for another decade.

I like how the Lawren Harris gallery has been laid out. The large paintings on the north wall are geometric and semi-abstract - alternating shapes dominated by rising peaks and downward shafts of light; on the south wall are smaller sketch-like paintings that are softer, more painterly.

I have been able to spend more time in Thomson's Harris gallery now, and while my appreciation for it has grown, I still like the more varied presentation of Harris's work in the AGO's Canadian galleries better.

I don't like those wooden hand rails in the Morrice and Krieghoff galleries, but I fear we'll see more of them installed in due course. I think they're intended to keep the great unwashed away from the art rather than allow people to get up close to look at the brushwork and details.

Well, you and I do not agree on that. The only thing that I think the elbow rails hinder someone from doing is licking those paintings. Otherwise I found the rails inviting, and took them time to gaze deeply into some of the works while propped up in front of them.

I like the fact that the Thomson galleries provide information about the paintings in small booklets rather than on labels beside each work. It encourages the primacy of forming a direct emotional connection with the art first and foremost.

It is a similar situation in many galleries there, and I agree that it is better not to have people crowding up to the side of the painting to read the labels: having a guide in hand is much better.

The Thomson ship model gallery isn't connected to the Inuit Visible Storage area - though you can see the one from the other through large plate glass windows. You have to go back upstairs and then downstairs again to move from one to the other - which is absurd.

Well, the two aren't thematically connected, so does there have to be a direct path between them? The Inuit Visible Storage area is outside the "Fare paid area", so connecting the two would be difficult. Maybe the Inuit sculpture will all be moved during my next expansion phase, as mentioned above...

Hope so. Why taunt visitors with the idea of easy access ... only to deny them? The nice Ship Model security guard who opened the verboten double doors for me called it "a design flaw" and I tend to agree. It's as frustrating as the ROM's Weston Exhibition Hall and the Food Studio being on the same level without access at that level.

I enjoyed spotting the concrete ceilings here and there in the shell of the Parkin galleries.

I think there has always been some sort of conflict between OCAD and the AGO over the DMZ at the north east corner of the site. Perhaps a future phase of expansion will also happen along Beverley? Or under Grange Park, which the Gallery owns - especially if they prime the community for more change by doing a nice job with the park overhaul?

Last edited:
Under the park? Nah. Let's patch up things with OCAD and go up again!

Meanwhile, more recent pics:

Workers on the Barnacle Staircase
3045571344_2f47bb3f0c_b.jpg

Gehry Chair backs
3045574296_094f714dfb_b.jpg

Sculptural Stair View
3044740621_830f6c20ea_b.jpg

Fire Escape
3044742655_de754ebb6a_b.jpg

Night View from Grange Park
3044745695_12f4b4e8b8_b.jpg

OCAD and the Financial Core
3044746707_7a3dd6cae9_b.jpg

Lovely pics. - especially the Rear Window thing with OCAD, and the naughty peek up the skirts of the seductive Walker Court staircase.

If I can't hear Glenn Lowry's talk at the ROM tonight ( I'm on the "reserve" list in case someone dies ... ) I'm back at the AGO - which he used to run.

The inside walls of the barnacle were already a bit scuffed when I went. Like the Crystal, I suppose, some structures invite a tactile response. A lick of paint now and then will fix that.

I would love to see a picture of the Galleria lit up at night from the outside. If anybody has a shot I'd love to see it :)

I would love to see a picture of the Galleria lit up at night from the outside. If anybody has a shot I'd love to see it :)

800px-Still_shot_from_YEARS_AGO_movie_und1080.jpg

This was on wiki. Also on wiki, how did someone make this?
800px-Five_year_long_exposure_of_AGO_construction.jpg

Gorgeous! :D Thank you so much! I can't wait to check this place out in person when I come to TO for New Years!

Back