News   May 17, 2024
 2.8K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.9K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Transformation AGO (5s, Gehry) COMPLETE

This project has some interesting elements but overall it seems like an incoherent mish-mash. Fortunately, from the street, you only see one part at a time and you don't appreciate the incoherency as much.

The visor looks awesome. The box is kinda neat, but could have been more interesting and it doesn't relate to the surroundings all that well. I agree with Jarrek that the ROM shouldn't have penny-pinched and splurged on the titanium. It makes for a nice cladding.

2907444051_003635d2e3_b.jpg

Ouch! Expensive mistake...

An observation: it looks like an anchor point where the streetcar wires will be attached to, rather than having poles dot the front of the AGO. Good move.

Thanks for the pics i42 and MisterF - love how the "bar" reflects the streetscape along Dundas.

Metro:

It's been reported ages ago by Hume (I believe) that the facade of the AGO will incorporate measures for the streetcar wires.

AoD

Very European and makes alot of sense. For example, in many European cities I've been to, I've enjoyed how they string their street lamps between buildings, not from the typical poles like in North America which create clutter.

This is looking amazing. Wow! I love the box, in a way it complements the OCAD tabletop nicely. It gives the Grange an eclectic vibe, which fits the neighbourhood perfectly.

I agree. The colour is beautiful and will be welcomed on grey Toronto winter days!

The aerial picture above shows that the whole area will be spectacular. Please bring on those renovated gardens and some decent streetscaping and this will be a corner of Toronto not to be missed!!

...(edited)that ugly apartment block is a bit of a scab on an otherwise beautiful face. Lop it out! :)

It's been reported ages ago by Hume (I believe) that the facade of the AGO will incorporate measures for the streetcar wires.

AoD

Yes. As it had been reported by the same source that the Four Seasons Centre would incorporate those same measures... and didn't.

It's good to see it actually go ahead in this case because as we can see from the temporary poles now there, they would scar the beauty of this iconic structure. I'm looking forward to all the hoarding coming down, the sidewalk being given back to the community and the poles being removed. November can't come fast enough.

Oh, this is slightly off topic but wasn't the green space under the OCAD tabletop supposed to be an extension of Grange Park? Anyone know why that little parking lot is still there?

i think it is currently being used for parking by bigwigs of either the AGO or OCAD (pretty sure it is the former), and the plan was for it to eventually become park to link butterworth and grange parks. i don't know what the delay is.

I'm curious to see what treatment those metal supports and the attachment to the concrete are going to get.

I'd love to see them wrap them in glulam wood to appear like the other supports.

I'm a fan of this. Though of course we'll have to see how it works on the inside, after the ROM experience. Goes to show the power of cladding, especially next to the unfortunate OCAD, which lost the plot in the final act when they applied corrugated skin that looked like it would do better on a storage shed and hope nobody would notice when they painted it funny.

The sidewalk so far is just concrete with the typical Gehry 'earthquake' pattern (just a staggered grid) as seen with the titanium, bathroom tiles, etc. etc.

Nice. I was walking past it one day and didn't think much of it since I'm sort of used to it. This tourist was standing there just looking at it. After staring for some time, he said, "damn, looks like a f'kin spaceship landed!"

Back