News   Jul 16, 2024
 128     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 284     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     3 

Transformation AGO (5s, Gehry) COMPLETE

$100,000!? Jesus, I could design something like that (and most likely better) yet here I am working an irritating kitchen job. I need to get back into design.

I don't presume to be a better designer but I came up with this in 10 minutes:

picture2hz4.png

I followed the principles in Matthew Teitelbaum's description of the AGO's new unveiled logo

The logo captures both the stability of the century-old institution and the forward-looking energy of the new Gallery.

In the 10 minutes I gave myself to do this, I was inspired by the tears in the AGO's new Dundas glass façade. I wanted to follow the principles above so I kept a conservative and solid looking font but added a little twist – just as the new AGO itself.

The link to the virtual exhibit of logos/names in the AGO's history was very interesting. It went from the "Art Museum of Toronto" to the "Art Gallery of Toronto" to the "Art Gallery of Ontario". Personally I think one of the old ones redone up would have been cool. Like the one that used the archways.

I kind of like the new AGO logo actually, though I do have some doubts as to how well it really represents (or will represent) the renovated gallery.

^I agree. It's interesting if slightly seizure inducing. To me it seems like a museum of contemporary art circa the year 2000 but maybe less representative for the historical collections or contemporary 2008.

I hate anything written in "Comic Sans". First because I can't take anything written in that font seriously. Secondly, I've been traumatized by it since my high school chem teacher wrote all her tests in that font... and I was never good at chemistry.

City Logos Board

Re: Logos. I've always thought Toronto should establish a "City Logos Board", which would bear responsibility for reviewing and approving all logos for public institutions in the city, so that not only do they represent the institution, but that they agree with each other and present a coherent and recognizable image of the city, to be used on all signage consistently.

The board could issue a series of guidelines and issues papers, have public consultations on issues like font-appropriateness, conversion to braille, multiple language comprehension, and use of colour for those who suffer from Colour Vision Deficiency. Once that is done, we would issue a report and begin the long and messy work of the logos themselves.

Then again, I'm a bureaucrat. Bureaucrats do it slower.

Back