News   Jul 30, 2024
 971     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 658     0 

Transformation AGO (5s, Gehry) COMPLETE

In these latest pictures, the blue colour of the titanium does look good. It's unfortunate that their actual colour isn't the same as what appears in these pictures.

Just thinking a bit about Grange Park - I think something like the Musee Rodin in Paris would be a stunning and perfect way to include the park in the AGO scheme. We could even turn it into a sculpture garden just like theirs (hey, we copy everything else other cities do. I don't think we've copied Paris yet) The main difference is that since the Musee Rodin garden pretty much is the museum you have to pay to get in. Ours wouldn't need to have the large wall of trees along each side, but it would at least give it a sense of place and solitude.

View from the Museebalcony
2361505982_2a6062416b_b.jpg

A corner of the park
2361505646_a63fdc792c_b.jpg

Symmetrical and well manicured
2360673145_7946940309_b.jpg

View of Musee
2361504948_5bd803260a_b.jpg

Been there, done that - Rodin's Adam used to be on display outside the front entrance to the AGO until the 1974 reno.

They were mocking up the interior signage today. Can't say I liked it; the bilingual thing forced all the signage to be way too big and obtrusive, and they really went overboard with the donor naming thing (it seemed like every flat surface in sight had a donor's name on it, the So-and-so ramp, the Whoever Staircase, etc). The final signage may very well be completely different tho, so who knows.

Not that my opinion would count for such things, but I actually kind of wish they did away with the signage altogether. The interior configuration of the building lends itself so well to random exploration that it's really more the kind of building you'd want to wander through and enjoy, not a place where you'd have a targeted list of destinations you were trying to hit.

And if Gehry's use of space imparts the logic of the building's layout to the visitor as directly as possible there may be even less need for signage than that.

Just thinking a bit about Grange Park - I think something like the Musee Rodin in Paris would be a stunning and perfect way to include the park in the AGO scheme. We could even turn it into a sculpture garden just like theirs (hey, we copy everything else other cities do. I don't think we've copied Paris yet) The main difference is that since the Musee Rodin garden pretty much is the museum you have to pay to get in. Ours wouldn't need to have the large wall of trees along each side, but it would at least give it a sense of place and solitude.

I agree with you jn12. I think a formal 'art' garden would compliment the museum and be a nice addition to the city. We have informal parks all over the place it would be nice to see something a little more manicured in the city. I think it would draw people to the museum too.

the city does need some art gardens instead of places were hobo's hang out at night....

I wonder if the landscaping care devoted to that one park in Paris exceeds the entire effort we devote to our park system as a whole?

We have some nicely manicured and maintained areas, like the Music Garden and parts of southern High Park. However, these are exceptions to the rule. Prominent parks, like Grange Park, Queen's Park and Clarence Square, deserve a lot more love.

Good point Bob. The Music Garden though benefits from having much of the landscape 'wild' which does not require a lot of maintenance. It also benefits from a surrounding community that takes active care and concern (literal care) above and beyond what the city does.

I believe that the Music Garden is one of the featured gardens that the city supports at a higher financial level. There's funding for the music concerts that take place there too. The apparent "wildness" of the Garden is pure artifice, the result of careful maintenance of the many and varied plantings that have matured over the years.

I'd love to see the future AGO expansion take place beneath Grange Park, with views down into it.

The comparison of public parks in Toronto with that one park in Paris is misleading; The "park" forms part of the grounds of the museum, and is therefore only open to the paying public, and closes after 6:45. For this reason, it's not really a park at all, but part of a private space within the Museum.

If I recally correctly, most Parisian parks contain what seems to me like acres and acres of gravel - they seem inordinantly fond of it. Though they are tidy enough.

The point stands, however, that our parks in Toronto need more TLC.

... and the fourth and fifth floors have been turned over to the AGO for tenant outfit. A lot of tenant work has already been done through the rest of the building too, light fixtures and doors and tiling and such.

The 5th floor has not been turned over to the AGO yet. That should happen in April. The space has to go through 4 weeks of HVAC trials before it can be installed with art. The 4th floor will be turned over after the 5th as it is further behind.

Back