News   Jul 16, 2024
 260     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 377     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Transformation AGO (5s, Gehry) COMPLETE

Damn, I went to AGO for the first time in a decade tonight, and must say I was very impressed! (Need to buy a membership now.:))

Other than the incredibly attractive gallery goers, and of course the art, I was super impressed with the view:

dsc00127t.jpg

Oh, and the gallery renovation/addition: wow!

Last edited:
Love that kind of excitement Urbandreamer. Now that is distinctly different than boosterism!

Renovated AGO is wetter, quieter than expected

Posted: March 09, 2009, 7:16 PM by Rob Roberts

Perched in the basket of a zoom boom high above Dundas Street West, two workers used putty knives today to wedge lengths of black rubber weather stripping into the spaces between the huge panes of glass that cover the front of the new Art Gallery of Ontario.

On the other side of the glass, four young men, naked from the waist up, stood in provocative poses on step ladders in the Galleria Italia, as part of a $500,000 shoot promoting Canada’s Next Top Model.

It was just another day at the AGO.

Frank Gehry, the Toronto-born architect, opened his Transformation AGO in November. Today it appears that, similar to George W. Bush’s famous 2003 “Mission Accomplished†pose early during the Iraq war, Mr. Gehry’s ribbon-cutting here was a bit premature.

The AGO is still under construction. Every time I go by on the Dundas streetcar, I see scaffolding, cranes and workers. And now they have issues with condensation.

Among 500 double-paned windows on the building’s new façade, each about 2 X 3 metres, eight had some sagging, which means one layer of glass is touching the other layer, causing moisture on the inside.

And two spiral staircases at rear of the AGO, sinuous marvels in curved glass, have more serious condensation problems in cold weather.

“The problem is not with Ellis Don,†Manny Rodrigues, a construction worker with the company, told me today, when I met him in back of the gallery. “We just put what Mr. Gehry says. The fabricators don’t make double-glazed, curved glass. So it’s all single-pane. It’s cold on the outside and warm on the inside, so you get condensation. They will have to figure out the solution in Los Angeles [where Mr. Gehry has his studio].â€

Mike Mahoney, senior project manager for the AGO redesign, said today there is no design problem.

“In the first year of any new building, you go through tweaking and fine-tuning,†he said.

Asked about the condensation on the spiral staircases, he said, “We need to rebalance the air and add some more heat. It’s like, you hop in your car, turn on the defroster at high speed to remove any condensation on the inside of the glass.â€

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 2007 sued Mr. Gehry, alleging serious design flaws in its Stata Center -- for which it paid him US$15-million -- over what the school called persistent leaks, drainage problems and mould growing on its brick exterior. Mr. Gehry’s office in L.A. said he was not immediately available for comment.

Asked about problems with other Gehry buildings, the AGO’s Mr. Mahoney said, “I won’t go there because I don’t know other Gehry projects. I’m not familiar with those issues and there is always two sides to every story.†As for condensation at the AGO, he said, “You have to agree it’s been a pretty tough winter. We put in 50,000 square feet of glass in this building. We’re not talking about leaks, we’re talking about some condensation in some spots.â€

Certainly the new AGO is a spellbinding place, offering a divine home to the Group of Seven, among other marvels. Unfortunately, the gallery has had fewer visitors than expected, said Susan Bloch-Nevitt, a spokeswoman for the AGO, who blamed the weakening economy.

“Our general numbers are pretty good,†she said. “About 350,000 people have come since it re-opened. I would say overall our attendance is 20% off of what we had hoped. That means less being spent in the restaurant and less being spent in the store.â€

There is one silver lining to all this. Espresso Etc., the ‘‘French Café,’’ across the street, has seen steady business. “The construction orkers are all Latins -- Portuguese and Italians,†the owner told me. “They all come here for their morning espresso.’’

Probably by adjusting the temperature/humidity in the stairwell, which isn't really an option for the AGO since the artwork has such stringent environmental demands.

The article is right tho, it isn't an Ellis Don problem, it's a Gehry problem. It's California architecture in Toronto, and it didn't take into account the local climate. The problem will go away now that the air is getting warmer, and everyone will forget about it, and then next November we'll see the same thing reoccur.

Many new buildings have growing pains, and I personally do not think less of them for it. The John Hancock in Boston is an example of a building with fairly severe design flaws that cost everyone a lot of money after it was completed, but I still swoon when I see it in the Boston skyline. I'm sure the problems with the stairwells and condensation will be sorted out and eventually forgotten. In the scheme of things, they are minor.

No different than the ROM having to cordon off most of the pedestrian walkway underneath during winter because of the snow/ice. I believe the ROM was also initially designed to be made of much more glass but it wouldn't have withstood the winter either. You'd think this would be one of the first aspects of a project architects would take into account. Shoddy thinking. But I do really love the new AGO and couldn't stand the old version. Stupid condensation.

Of more concern to me than these typical examples of the sort of teething troubles that all new buildings encounter is the news that they're cutting three hours off Thursday's opening hours, following the recent reduction of three hours off Friday hours. That'll probably affect the gift shop and cafeteria hours too.

The news of proposed layoffs, and attendance figures lagging, is also quite a blow.

^I'm not surprised: recession fears (real and imagined), unrealistic expectations (it's toronto, not nyc), generally increased competition for art (free gallery openings on thursday and friday nights along queen west for example), less American tourists and changing demographics (many new immigrant groups find the AGO out of touch with their idea of art) leaves the AGO with less money than before. Art gallery expansions are driven by ego, not reality.

I agree with you, urbandreamer, about the "Stuff White People Like" aspect to the AGO's collection - but the inclusion of the Frum collection of African art, and galleries of Canadian and Australian Aboriginal art, in the expanded Gallery shows they are reaching out to the wider community.

Ego? Well, starchitecture is, by definition, ego-based. And, longterm, the reality may be that when it comes to presenting our collective cultural heritage to the public that owns it, it isn't a bad thing for our reach to sometimes exceed our grasp. The AGO is a century-old institution and they probably take the longer view, despite this pesky economic tailspin we're currently in. We've got a new building that works well, and more space for display, which is a cause to celebrate.

An article in the New York Times today (Thurs.) says that the Metropolitan Museum of Art is laying off 74 people, with more cuts likely to come this year. Apparently their endowment has lost 28% of its value in the market slump, and obviously isn't producing the income it formerly was.

It's a shame for cultural institutions. After the successful campaign for construction funds, perhaps new fundraising campaigns will be needed soon just to finance some of the normal operations?

Back