News   Jul 16, 2024
 366     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 470     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Transformation AGO (5s, Gehry) COMPLETE

Visited Friday night. Plenty of happy snappers and flashers. Plenty of dust bunnies too, especially on the stairway to heaven and the stairs down to the ship models. Dreadful Kates review of Frank - anyone been yet?

Upon my visit, one thing I thought as possibly regrettable was the opening-up of the Henry Moore gallery to Gehry's Galleria--which wrecks the Moore's inner-sanctum quality of old.

But all the 60s/70s Toronto-scene installation (including the Coach House mini-exhibit) harmonized quite well with its Parkin interior...

I felt the opposite about opening up the Moore gallery to Galleria Italia. The Moore gallery used to feel like a dead end to me, and now by having some flow through it, it seems much more vital to me. I always go through it when visiting now, while I used to skip it normally.

All that said, I would not expect everyone to have the same reaction as mine.

I've always liked the logic of linking them - sculpture gallery to sculpture gallery - though the new reality is that the Moore is no longer purely a destination space. Galleria Italia works as a spine, linked to the African and Thomson galleries too, feeding people through to them - and to the Moore.

I see they're cutting back their opening hours.

From next week, the gallery closes three hours earlier, at 5:30 pm., on Fridays

27 January 2009 photo update

Finishing touches perhaps? Spotted some work being done today here:

DSC01517.jpg

and here:

DSC01518.jpg

I have a question. My teachers used to say that are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. Here goes: I imagine that the glulam and other wooden members exposed to the elements will gray with age while those inside the Galleria Italia will not. Is this in fact the case and are there any provisions to prevent this from happening or might this be viewed as desirable? Thanks.

does anyone else think they have to replace the old "Art Gallery of Ontario" signage on the east and west side of the building with the new, bold, red logo? it looks pretty weak and hardly noticeable from the street. also, the beams that have been put in place to hold up the "visor" have really thrown off the letters' position.

A few things to note about the AGO - that I noticed during my visit two weeks ago (ha!):

-They seem to be having some horrific problems with condensation in the spiral staircases, and there seem to be leaks in the exterior cladding, which is also dripping directly into the stair-wells. This is not the first time I have heard of Gehry buildings leaking - the Stata Centre at MIT is suing Gehry over leaks in their roof.

-There are some issues with regards to the "Visor" at the eastern end. Not sure exactly what the issue is, but there seems to be a problem with draining the water/snow melt and it is freezing, maybe blocking the drain -there was a massive clump of ice- 2 feet high and about 4 feet in diameter on the ground directly below the underside of the visor. I am not sure what or how they will be remedying this situation, but it is quite extensive in my opinion and definitely needs to be looked at- There were also condensation problems within the visor as well, but...who knows..

-I went to Frank, and the service sucked, so I left- went downstairs to the new cafeteria - which is informal and decent, but a little oddly laid out. They have located table immediately at the foot of the stairs which come directly down from the foyer of Frank- if the doors open up to the street in Frank, you are suddenly met with a waft of cold air- food was good and service friendly - I did feel that the space was a bit of an "after-thought" though.

-I love the wood detailing in the gallery and those curved wood panels are just phenomenal. There is a lot of really skilled finishing work, which is just not normal today- Take a look at the ROM if you wish to see the opposite of skill.

-I am extremely disappointed by the signage - the large red AGO is fine, but I the vinyl applied stickers to the windows screams CHEAP-OUT and is extremely embarrassing for the institution IMO. The story is that they didn't have the time or money to do the proper engineering assessments and building permits in order, or on time to get the final signage up and thus, chose to do the temporary applied vinyls. Sadly, I get the feeling that these will not be temporary and will ultimately remain for quite some time.

-did anyone else get the feeling that it was extremely dark in basement, where K. Thomson's boats were?

p5

p5: While I adore the Walker Court spiral staircase as a grand gesture, and the less elegant barnacle staircase gives great views of the city - and I think both work wonders for the AGO's reputation as a fun place to visit - the quality of the workmanship is poor in places.

Check out the central core of the Walker Court stairs - the point at which the vertical panels rise and meet the wood cap in particular - and you'll see that the gap between them is quite variable, sometimes running nicely parallel and sometimes opening up to become a yawning, wavering gap. When I was 14 our woodworking teacher, Mr. Samuels, would have failed us for work like that. Also, as you ascend, there are alarming glimpses of wiring and lights tucked beneath those wood caps - and I doubt if that's an intentional design feature. They did a hack job with the drywall in the barnacle staircase, too - check out how it meets the underside of the wooden caps in places.

p5: I think the Ship Model Gallery in the basement will be somewhat brighter when finished: the two large "wave" display cases which are yet to be installed are essentially in the middle of the room, and lighting will be integrated right into them, like the existing wave cases. Lighting will still be a bit low in total, but I believe that with those two cases installed it will make a big difference to the overall look of the room.

That said, when are the freakin' wave cases gonna be installed? Chop chop!

The condensation problem in the stairwell is pretty much unfixable, it's the product of using California architecture in a Canadian climate. All the curved glass is single pane laminate, which means that whenever you have cold outdoor air on one side and warm, humid air on the other you're going to end up with massive condensation.

The visor issues will. however, be remedied. They're putting in heat tracing cables and finished panels right now, but as you can imagine the snow is slowing things down. I don't know if they'll make a difference this winter, but definitely next winter things will be better

When interchange and I bumped into one another at the Gallery last night, we noticed that Giuseppe Penone's big tree trunks at the east end of the Galleria Italia were covered up - as if protecting them from something that might drip on them.

When interchange and I bumped into one another at the Gallery last night, we noticed that Giuseppe Penone's big tree trunks at the east end of the Galleria Italia were covered up - as if protecting them from something that might drip on them.

Noticed that as well - I guess water on the leather trunks wouldn't be good.

The AGO is such a jewel... but the members lounge is really lacking. Too bad we can't transplant the Tate Modern members lounge.

Back