News   Jul 05, 2024
 2.8K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.8K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 673     0 

Traffic Lights on University

I am still amazed by the fact that this city doesn't time the lights around the city. Its ludicrous and just causes more traffic and congestion problems.

p5

I am still amazed by the fact that this city doesn't time the lights around the city. Its ludicrous and just causes more traffic and congestion problems. 5

I think that the lights on all the major roads (which have lots of sets of lights) are controlled, what they are doing now is improving this control. There will always be isolated lights that are not centrally controlled but will remain controlled by traffic sensors. The document noted above explains and you can get to it here: http://www.toronto.ca/civic-engagement/council-briefing/pdf/1-3-29.pdf

Timing of traffic lights to benefit both E-W and N-S traffic simultaneously is impossible unless all streets are layed out on a grid with equal distances between intersections in both directions. This is obviously not the case so despite the fact that most major intersections' traffic lights have been wired to a central location for over 30 years all attempts to make use of this interconnection is pretty much a dream downtown.
In the 'burbs where the road spacing is less chaotic the traffic light timing can work well, I have driven Vic Park from Steeles to Sheppard with solid green lights all the way so often it is almost a given. Bayview Avenue south of Steeles is similarly predictable.
I think the traffic engineers have an impossible task ahead of them that no mixture of over-riding or compensating sub systems will solve to everyones satisfaction.

I am still amazed by the fact that this city doesn't time the lights around the city. Its ludicrous and just causes more traffic and congestion problems.
??? The City (and Metro) have been timing lights since at least the 1970s. Not sure why you'd say that. You only have to drive around the same area regularly, to see the patterns.

Well looks like Spadina northbound has finally been fixed too!

I just drove from Front and Spadina to Bloor and Spadina without a single red light!!!

In fact it was cool to watch them turn green as I approached them. Took about 5 minutes.

Southbound on University from Bloor to College was very disappointing however as every light turned red as I approached, with no cross traffic to be seen.

I just drove from Front and Spadina to Bloor and Spadina without a single red light!!!

Does Toronto publish when/which streets have timed traffic lights? NYC drivers have an instinctive knowledge of which N-S street is timed.

Would prioritizing certain streets and informing drivers work well in the core (along with informing drivers)? For example, University and Jarvis going north in the morning, Bay and Yonge going South (Lakeshore all the way to Bloor). Spadina & Bathurst would have streetcar priority so it could not be car prioritized. And of course Bloor and Lakeshore (timed to get you to/from Yonge St in each direction).

Signal prioritization of E-W streetcars would have to be addressed. But they move so slowly in the core, I'm not sure if it would help. Keeping N-S cars from blocking the streetcars due to traffic jams & red lights may help the streetcars move faster.

Does Toronto publish when/which streets have timed traffic lights? NYC drivers have an instinctive knowledge of which N-S street is timed.

Would prioritizing certain streets and informing drivers work well in the core (along with informing drivers)? For example, University and Jarvis going north in the morning, Bay and Yonge going South (Lakeshore all the way to Bloor). Spadina & Bathurst would have streetcar priority so it could not be car prioritized. And of course Bloor and Lakeshore (timed to get you to/from Yonge St in each direction).

Signal prioritization of E-W streetcars would have to be addressed. But they move so slowly in the core, I'm not sure if it would help. Keeping N-S cars from blocking the streetcars due to traffic jams & red lights may help the streetcars move faster.

There's a list of all signalized intersections but not, I think, one showing which are timed. See: http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/c...nnel=d90d4074781e1410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

was there not talk last year at city hall to synchronize traffic lights across the city? anyone know how this is progressing?

for a city with such serious congestion issues this seems like a relatively "easy win".

was there not talk last year at city hall to synchronize traffic lights across the city? anyone know how this is progressing?

for a city with such serious congestion issues this seems like a relatively "easy win".

The short answer is this was done decades ago. The mayor and councillors pushing it didn't realize traffic flows in 4 directions within Toronto (North, South, East, and West). It does not have a predominant traffic pattern of everybody into the middle in the morning, then the reverse in the evening. You can only synchronize for 1 of those 4 directions at the expense of the other 3.

There is a demand response type of technology that could be deployed for an extra couple percent. Basically, a large sensor grid to count traffic and modify light timing on the fly; this is actually the opposite of synchronizing the lights.

The downtown traffic report suggested removal of parking on main streets (increase rush-hour period) and encouraging more people to take transit. The mayor jumped up and down and threw a hissy fit at this option (basically tried to throw out the report) but I believe council is moving forward with some of the recommendations anyway.

Also, removal of the pedestrian priority at Dundas was found to be impossible without significant expansion of the sidewalks (removal of traffic lanes). The pedestrian priority at Bay & Bloor is up for removal though.

Last edited:
In most other cities, main arteries (such as Toronto's "avenues") typically have synchronized lights so that if you are travelling at the speed limit (say 60 km/h) you should be able to hit all of the green lights as they are timed accordingly. Doesn't seem like rocket science.

I understand that in Toronto traffic moves in all directions at all times of the day. However outside of the downtown area, traffic is intentionally directed to the "avenues". The avenues are pretty far apart, you should at least be able to hit all of the green lights between each avenue.

The short answer is this was done decades ago. The mayor and councillors pushing it didn't realize traffic flows in 4 directions within Toronto (North, South, East, and West). It does not have a predominant traffic pattern of everybody into the middle in the morning, then the reverse in the evening. You can only synchronize for 1 of those 4 directions at the expense of the other 3.

Like NYC you can synchronize 2 directions (N and S) at the same time. Alternate major streets in the downtown so you have 2 going north and 2 going south with prioritization.

(downtown for this purpose would be Jarvis to Spadina, Bloor to the lake)

I assumed must traffic in the AM and PM is heading North/South (and the drivers heading E-W are mainly on Lakeshore/Gardiner or Bloor. It would be interesting to see the driving patterns. Where they are coming from and headed, not the actual streets they use. Most can be diverted north to Bloor or south to Lakeshore depending on the traffic flows on these streets. I think this prioritization would encourage drivers to stay clear of the E-W roads that have streetcars which would also speed up these services...a win-win

Honestly, the E-W drivers would not see a difference. I have driven downtown from the west on King and Queen in the morning before the influx of traffic and streetcars (arriving downtown at 7:30-7:45) and there are days where I hit 90% of all traffic lights.

Driving around the San Jose area, I find the traffic lights extremely responsive and intelligent. They seem to make better use vehicle detection to allow more vehicles through an intersection/turn if there are cars waiting and cycling to some other phase if not.

A lot of intersections have fully protected left-turns with two lanes. Also, the left turn phase can occur at the beginning or end of the sequence. I have only seen this done at the Yonge entrance to 401 east in Toronto. Why cycle to the other direction if nobody is waiting when you can just present the green arrow?

The city has but out a bunch of bids to re-synchronize the lights throughout the city. You should see some changes on most thoroughfares within the next year or so.

Back