News   Jul 26, 2024
 828     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.1K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.8K     3 

Tourism Australia says: Where the Bloody Hell Are You?

But I think the article was about taking entirely local busses--which is roughly akin to going from Oshawa to Hamilton without using GO. So it was something of a "stunt article"...

You have supper in Mississauga and are told of how Mississauga is its own city, but by itself, and wants nothing to do with anybody and will fight for its right to be a priviliged, white, upper class suburban neighborhood.

You've never been to Mississauga, have you? Perhaps you were thinking of Oakville? ;)

"Come to Toronto...

You suck and so do we... we belong together."

HI-larious people. And yes, I like the Australian slogan. It seems right for them.

As for Toronto.....

Limit Yourself in Toronto Unlimited..

or

Toronto Unlimited, Toronto Incorporated, Toronto LLP. The choice is yours.

The Australian strategy is to promote the entire country and not just individual cities alone.

They even make flying between cities easy with a flex pass for three destinations within Australia.

The Canadian strategy is the complete opposite, leaving it up to each individual city and region to come up with their own marketing campaign and image instead of pooling resources.

Louroz

One of the reasons this works for them is that Australia is already stereotyped by many as everything people want in a vacation - warm, inviting, nice beaches, nightlife, etc...promoting the country in general works for them.

I do think there are a number of Canada tourism ads that don't promote any specific city though.

Yes, Canada does have a national tourism campaign, and what it is, who knows? We live here - we don't get to see it. I don't think they spend much on it. Not like those Aussies.

Antiloop: great piece of black comedy, that! It's funny because it's true.

An interesting satirical view of traveling around Canada...

Everyone: I got a kick out of reading Antiloop's post of 2/25 about traveling in Canada.
I could laugh but I understand how serious the actual thoughts are...
This began with Australia and gradually became a Canadian tourism topic of sorts...
Jonny's link to an official Canada Tourism webpage is interesting...
LI MIKE

Toronto Highlights

Tour the secret passageways, suites, stables and 800-ft underground tunnel of Toronto’s Edwardian castle, Casa Loma.

Surf on three-ft waves indoors year-round at The Wave Pool in Richmond Hill.

Catch fast-pitched major league baseball action with the Toronto Blue Jays at Rogers Centre.

Take a guided safari tour to see a pride of African lions, wandering rhinos and giraffes roaming free on a game reserve.

Join 100,000 other art-lovers at the Toronto Outdoor Art Exhibition.

Who are the biggest hockey stars in Canadian history? Find out at the Hockey Hall of Fame.

See the internationally renowned National Ballet of Canada perform The Nutcracker.

Get the inside lowdown on Bloor-Yorkville history on a guided historic walk of the now-gentrified district.

The latest campaign (most recent major one since LAra Bingle's Where the bloody hell are you? campaign)

[video=youtube;82n1PX1hVEY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82n1PX1hVEY[/video]

Less of Sydney, Melbourne finally gets a look in, but still fkn cringeworthy.

Maybe more of us would be in Australia if it wasn't so bloody far and such a bloody expensive plane ticket away.

The ad opens with a piano on a beach, which instantly reminds anyone who's seen it of The Piano. Only problem is that The Piano is just the most famous movie ever made about New Zealand...

Maybe more of us would be in Australia if it wasn't so bloody far and such a bloody expensive plane ticket away.

That's why they have this huge national campaign - because a lot of people don't go to Australia because it's so expensive and far away. To go, you'd need at least 3 weeks for the trip to be worth it.

Canada gets more visitors simply because Americans can drive here. It's a convenience we take for granted, not being from Australia. One funny thing I've noticed about Canadian tourism is that ads always seem to be for where you are - I see more ads for visiting Ontario than anywhere else in Canada. And when I was in Vancouver for the Olympics, I saw tons of ads for visiting Vancouver for the Olympics - way more than I saw when I was still in Toronto.

Someone should work on that...

There was a massive amount of BC advertising in Ontario for the Olympics.

I actually kind of like the Ontario tourism ads. I get the impression that they are as much designed to promote Ontarian 'staycations' than to attract people from beyond. It's at least less cringeworthy than that overly earnest Australia one:

http://www.ontariotravel.net/videos...line.html?modus=fp-vid-comm-aline&language=en

Australia, to be honest, is a pretty easy sell for much of the world. It seems to me that Ontario is tougher.

Those Ontario ads are only being shown domestically. I'm not even sure they're being shown outside the province actually.
And actually, I think the Ontario ads are quite poor. They give way too much facetime to the singers and in the ones that don't have subtitles of locations they're a lot of generic shots that literally could be anywhere. For a presentation I did last year for school I played this version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fTJUMBlWxk over an ad from kentucky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMggKgCxi1c) and the people in my class didn't know it was a Kentucky ad until the very end. Ya there are some images that give it away if you know Kentucky well, but it's rather poor if an ad for another place can be passed off as your own.

Everybody already wants to go to Australia and they've wanted to since the 80s. What they need to do is advertise cheap flights, cheap hotels, and cheap packages to make the place accessible. This could possibly reduce Australia's exotic appeal, but what good is such an appeal if hardly anyone actually travels there?

There's been a trend lately of tourism commercials showing rather generic images to surprise you and break stereotypes (yes, that's beautiful Boise, or no, it's not the Bahamas, it's the Philippines, or whatever). Ontario's 'surprises' include the fact that Ottawa is in Ontario and that Toronto's restaurants and nightlife isn't that bad.

I like Ontario's ads. The music is catchy and I think they give a good balance between the different urban and rural activities in Ontario. And they're are way better than those damn BC ads from the Olympics (which I have memorized from watching so much TV):
"It's big...beautiful...laid-back...sophisticated...it doesn't get more west coast than this (well duh this is the stupidest line)"

And all those ads featured stars who have long-since moved away from BC...

These broad tourism ads don't include the names of things like hotels and airlines because they're created by the government, not the companies, and it would be weird for the government to pay to advertise for individual companies in the tourism industry. The idea is to make a place look like somewhere you'd want to visit, and then let you plan your own vacation.

Back