1.1K     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 758     0 

Tour o' Bloor - Part 1, Yonge to Spadina

Re: New Yorkville Park

Awesome tour of one of our best nabes!

Great tour!
is the RoCP tower the one that's being built?
These neighbourhoods look quite impressive, it's an expensive neighbourhood I bet?

That's great news about the crepe place--happily, it's only getting closer to my home (when in Toronto). The woman who runs it is really wonderful, as are the younger women whom I always presumed to be her daughters. And they really do appreciate a little French. Nice to see that even with big, bad redevelopment independent businesses like hers can still survive--even if it's in the podiums of major towers.

I am very much looking forward to the retail along Yonge in 18 Yorkville--the street wall is very strong, and the materials really good.

great tour. i'm looking forward to the second installment.

one of the most surprising things about this part of toronto is how scenes like the one below, which would not be out of place in a streetcar suburb like newton, massachusetts, exist next to a dense block of victorian rowhouses.

DSCF2314.jpg

Great tour, BrianHawkins1!

we must have some kind of psychic photographic connection, you and I. I recently walked around this area and snapped some shots that are very similar to yours in composition!

Anyway, oddly enough, I'll be moving to this part of Bloor (St. George/Bernard) within the next month from Bloor and Shaw - as featured in your second part of this set.

Louroz, with the nice weather yesterday the benches were full. It's been used consistently since opening.

JG

"I've noticed that quite a few of the hideous, hulking Queen Anne style Victorian monster homes ( or, as the Annex Residents Association puts it, "architecturally distinctive and historically significant homes" ) in that part of town have little metal plaques affixed out front. I understand that these badges of honour are in some mysterious way a part of the campaign to ensure that the neighbourhood will never, never, ever, change. "

Hey,what kind of beef do you have with Richardson?

Duh, they're not by Richardson. They're by local yokels aping Richardson.

Come to think of it, Old City Hall is another grotesque white elephant aping Richardson. Maybe we would have been better of getting rid of it in the 60s rather than letting the hysterical preservation movement saddle us with this urban albatross...

As a former brunswickian resident, I was brought back to those student days. Nice. The best nabe in toronto still remains this part of the annex. One day a house will be mine here.

There's something rather ( to quote caltrane74 ) "cock-blocking" about the attitude of the Annex residents, with their legalistic savvy in protecting hulking Queen Anne monster homes in perpetuity, putting little metal plaques on them to show the rest of us that they've won, and blocking the possibility that anything contemporary and better will ever be built in that part of town.

"Hulking Queen Anne monster homes?" There are many nabes in toronto that deserve modern contempory homes (lawrence west, north york, etobicoke); thankfully, the annex is doing just fine without them! Yes some infill in the back lanes would be nice; however leave these old babes alone!

"Duh, they're not by Richardson. They're by local yokels aping Richardson."

I realize that, chief. It merely seemed to me that babel was dirting the Romanesque style in general; whether that's true or not, only he can tell us. I thought it was a reasonable assumption (but we all know that "assuming" makes an ass out of u and ming.)

"Come to think of it, Old City Hall is another grotesque white elephant aping Richardson. Maybe we would have been better of getting rid of it in the 60s rather than letting the hysterical preservation movement saddle us with this urban albatross... "

You must be kidding.... right? please?

Old City Hall is easily Lennox's masterpiece, and is a beautiful testament to the architectural quality of the era in which it was built. Have you seen what the city was originally planning to replace it with? A bunch of hulking concrete eye-sores, that's what. Thank goodness a bunch of level-headed people slapped some sense into them.

I don't know what you're smoking, but by all means pass that fat one this way.

Old City Hall is easily Lennox's masterpiece, and is a beautiful testament to the architectural quality of the era in which it was built. Have you seen what the city was originally planning to replace it with? A bunch of hulking concrete eye-sores, that's what.

I can see we're going to get along just fine.

You must be kidding.... right? please?

Who said I wasn't? (I guess the lack of a winking smiley or any such thing threw a few for a loop--sorry.)

Though this being the Internet, such extreme anti-preservationist revisionism probably isn't all that implausible anymore--I guess, if there were an urban version of a Free Dominion-type board...

Back