News   Jul 15, 2024
 606     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 759     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 600     0 

Tory MP uses Nazi analogy

Rob Anders has a well earned reputation for saying things that are a little "out there". His opinions are not a reflection of the Government, and they may have angered a few officials, but who cares? Actually, I find his comments refreshing. The Chinese Government isn't made up of boyscouts, and frankly they've earned every bit of criticism and PR flak they've gotten recently.

Rob may have stretched the envelope a bit, but in a country like ours, freedom of speech doesn't just extend to those who's opinions we happen to share. Conversely, China doesn't tolerate diversity of opinion and free thought, so it's no surprise that they should try to intimidate its critics.

Forumers are entitled to freely disagree with Rob's comments, but we should all fight for his right to express his opinion.

I think a fairer comparison to the Beijing Olympics would be the Soviet Union's Olympics of 1980. Both China and the USSR are/were communist dictatorships with records of regularly using fear and threats to coerce compliance from their populations.

Germany in 1936 was only a few years away from launching a major aggressive war, had already remilitarized the Rhineland and was less than two years from annexing Austria.

With the exception of Taiwan, China has few territorial demands, and is no military threat to its neighbours (minus Tibet).

For his right to express his opinions - right - at the possible expense of our diplomatic relations?

When it comes to freedom of speech and thought in the political arena though, I am sure the Cons are expert in such.

AoD

Back