News   Jul 29, 2024
 376     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 128     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 524     0 

Toronto's Second Supertall?

Yonge and Bloor would be a good place for something at a gentle one thousand to fifteen hundred-ish feet. It could have an effect much like the placing the Empire State Building in the predominately low-rise Manhattan midtown of the 1930's did.
Ideally, I'd like to see it replace the Hudson's Bay Centre - but just across the corner would work well, too.

What I'd really like to see is a cluster of talls and very-supertalls on the North Portlands, abutting the Keating Channel. Six or eight hundred through two thousand or more feet. (sigh) That said, some of the West Don Lands wouldn't have been a bad place for a well-composed cluster, either.

Foster, SOM, Eisenmann (possibly? I wonder what he'd come up with), Zaha Hadid, Pelli, Calatrava....and just to make veins pop on foreheads and elicit screams, Robert A.M. Stern.

Last edited:
I'd like to see a Jean Nouvel tower. He's designed so many creative buildings, like the Torre Agbar:

413px-Torre_Agbar_-_Barcelona%2C_Spain_-_Jan_2007.jpg

...and his proposal for a supertall in New York is inspirational:

53_West_53rd_Street.jpg

^How could we implode that eyesore before it's even built? Sorry Automation, but your dissolute architectural tastes are becoming painfully clear.

Last edited:
Foster is common nowadays and his firm is really hit and miss with, IMHO, more misses than hits as of late. I don't see anything redeeming about that supertall concrete slab in Dubai .

maybe something like this would look good?

479351vm5.jpg

Didn't I see something like this in a Batman movie?

.....I like it.

maybe something like this would look good?
:eek:
Yuck! That building looks so bloated and obese, and so not Toronto. It's worse than puke-worthy.

I don't believe in supertalls (I never used high-density zones in my SimCities because they cause a lot of bottlenecks and congestion), but given this exercise, I'd like to see how Gehry expresses himself in this format (has he done any skyscrapers?)

That or something conical or phallic (like Swiss Re or that building in Barcelona).

If you walk around the CBD you'll notice there are still a lot of sites that can be redeveloped ... these are mainly existing 2-5 story podiums of much larger buildings. Or short office buildings 10-20 stories in hieght.

There are still a few sites left before we get to this point but we'll see this eventually I think.

Regarding the pictures posted ... I hate buildings which huge elaborate bases ... they ruin streetscapes ... sure they look nice by themselves or in Dubia but that's not what we want here. We want the building to work with the surroundings at the bottom. With the rest of the building - by all means do whatever you like.

The one in NYC is a good example at the bottom of something that has the potential to fit in.

Some buildings however, work well with elaborate bases i.e. the previous L-tower design ... but that's because it stands alone for the most part. We won't see that in the CBD or even south of the tracks I reckon.

I quite like this Mayne proposal for La Defense. It is nice how restrained it is. Something about garish sky scrapers really gets my goat (see Dubai).
Phare1.jpg

There is some good stuff being proposed in S. Korea as well. I guess it is all a bit academic in this business climate, though.

EDIT: Looking at the Torre Agbar, I'm not sure how well a hypothetically gorgeous building would fit in to the downtown core. It would be neat to put one in the Portlands so people could actually get a good view of it.

Last edited:
Yonge and Bloor is a great location (i had already posted about 2 years ago on this..mentioning that the 1BE site would be ideal for the next supertall).

totally agree with you ....... 1BE site is definitely screaming for a landmark building with distinct architecture (unlike the current proposal :p)

Back