News   Mar 28, 2024
 552     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 416     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 756     0 

Toronto's relationship with the city of Buffalo, NY.

The Black percentage has grown, but Buffalo's population has shrunk quite a bit since 1990.

So you think it probably wasn't due to any net growth or movement (either with African immigrants or native born) of the Black population, only a change in proportion from others moving out?

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-reg...he-decline-in-erie-county-population-20150326

Apparently though immigration is helping stem the tide of shrinking population in Buffalo as a whole -- with more influx than loss for the first time in decades.

I'm pretty sure African immigrants are a pretty small, though growing, share of Buffalo's Black population. I'm just saying a 9 or 10 point jump in the share of the population that is Black isn't necessarily due to an influx of immigrants.

I think the Rust Belt region of the US would be one that would benefit from attracting a share of any of the immigrants to the US more broadly speaking (like the Maritimes in Canada which also struggles to attract people to move there), if not other Americans from other states.

There does seem to be some attempt to settle refugees/attract immigrants from Africa, Asia, Latin American etc. to some Rust Belt cities and towns based on what I've read, but I'm not sure if there is as much of a policy/promotion thing as our provinces do when it comes to geographical settlement where provinces seem to take more initiative if they want people to come there.

Despite the awful weather, I survived another delightful Dyngus Day in Buffalo. I come to Buffalo 2 or 3 weekends a year and for the last 5 or so years it keeps getting better and better. Canalside is coming along wonderfully and more bars, cafes, hotels and ethnic restaurants are opening. It's still quiet by Toronto standards, but closing the gap.
FWIW... In one of the promotional blurbs I read about Dyngus Day they claimed that, at one time, Buffalo had the largest Polish community outside of Warsaw.

It never did - there were probably about as many Poles in Chicago as people in Buffalo at one time.

But certainly it's a very large community as the percentage of the population.

It never did - there were probably about as many Poles in Chicago as people in Buffalo at one time.

But certainly it's a very large community as the percentage of the population.

Perhaps it'd be more accurate (or at least closer) if the claim was being the city with the largest % of Polish-descended people outside Poland at some point, rather than just sheer population size?

Toronto's astonishing growth: Will it matter to Buffalo?

By Caitlin Dewey
Published Today at 10:04 a.m. July 19, 2019

The main Buffalo News page doesn't seem to have comments for the article, but their Facebook post does.

I was curious......and I offer............The Grass is Always Greener:

" Buffalo is not Toronto, I'm glad Canadians are more progressive"

"Indeed; they seem to be more driven and passionate about making their communities better and more inviting to others. "

Toronto's astonishing growth: Will it matter to Buffalo?

By Caitlin Dewey
Published Today at 10:04 a.m. July 19, 2019

Caitlin Dewey even mentions Craig White of UrbanToronto in the Buffalo News article.

I believe that Buffalo's population would stop declining and become a destination for ex-Torontonians. There's plenty of room in Buffalo to accommodate ex-Torontonians seeking affordable real estate. This would cause Buffalo to gentrify, leading to a much larger skyline with condo towers dwarfing Seneca One Tower and the Buffalo MetroRail beginning to compete with Line 4 Sheppard's ridership.

Last edited:

I wrote an itinerary of my day-trip to Buffalo a couple years ago. Personally I quite enjoyed it, and saw parallels of certain neighbourhoods they have to be similar to ours. IMO, such as Elmwood Village = The Annex, and Allentown = The Junction.

Although, from the mainstream Toronto point of view it often still gets overlooked. When I speak to people here about Buffalo, many still consider it as an across the border destination to buy things at the outlet mall or just passing by along the highway to reach NYC.

In terms of tourism, I think Buffalo should continue focus on promoting their architectural stock. As an urban enthusiast I definitely see that aspect as a draw. Their food scene should also be another strong point. Wings of course, pizza as well, although their pizza doesn't get the same press as Detroit. As someone who went there without getting wings or pizza last time, I'd consider their restaurants and bars selection to be fairly decent as well.

^ Buffalo is also a gay friendly city. The Allentown district is the place to go for the gay bar scene. I had a lot of good times there over the years. Cheap drinks and 4 am last call.

Caitlin Dewey even mentions Craig White of UrbanToronto in the Buffalo News article.

I believe that Buffalo's population would stop declining and become a destination for ex-Torontonians. There's plenty of room in Buffalo to accommodate ex-Torontonians seeking affordable real estate. This would cause Buffalo to gentrify, leading to a much larger skyline with condo towers dwarfing Seneca One Tower and the Buffalo MetroRail beginning to compete with Line 4 Sheppard's ridership.

And once the IRS determines that you have a "substantial connection" to the US, you get to pay taxes there to.

Eating along New York State's 'Buffalo Wing Trail'

Aug 26, 2019 The Canadian Press

The Best Places To Drink Beer In Buffalo, According A Craft Beer Expert

ZACH JOHNSTON 08.26.19

The Future of the Central Terminal – You Can Almost Taste It

August 25, 2019, 11:49 am

Back