• washrooms available along the way
  • water fountains
  • benches off the path but close by in the shade, rest stops
  • plenty of bicycle posts
  • YIELD signs, not STOP signs
  • dismounting not allowed
  • no barriers
  • no detours because of obstacles

I'd also add lighting for evening users, especially good for when the days get shorter. Winter maintenance is also key for cycling to be taken seriously.

I'd also add lighting for evening users, especially good for when the days get shorter. Winter maintenance is also key for cycling to be taken seriously.

Oh, yes please. The Lake Shore trail (which is extremely well used by non-recreational cyclists) veers away from Lake Shore Blvd between Cherry St and Don Roadway. There's no lighting, which makes it unusable after dark (most bicycle lights are designed to increase the cyclist's visibility to cars and are not strong enough to illuminate a dark path). The nearest alternatives along this section involve heading all the way up to Queen St or taking your life into your hands by cycling along Lake Shore Blvd.

From Rob Ford's "A Transportation Plan that makes sense for Toronto" (note that I bolded the quotes as well):

• We will build a comprehensive network of bicycle trails across the city. This will include 100 km of off-road bicycle paths along rail and hydro corridors, ravines and valleys. This system of dedicated 2-metre wide, paved trails illuminated with street lamps will provide a safe, convenient “backbone†for bicycle transportation across Toronto. Cost: $50 million.
  • We will build 100 km of pedestrian paths alongside the bicycle trails. Walking, jogging and running are inexpensive, effective recreational activities that encourage physical fitness. We will provide a well-lit network of safe, connected paths for runners, joggers and walkers. Cost: included in the bicycle trails cost.
  • We will create some on-road bicycle lanes where they make sense. Where the community supports them and where they do not impede traffic flow, we will create on-street bicycle lanes and complete some critical connections in the city’s current bicycle network. Cost: $5 million

One of the existing bicycle trails included in his plan is the one along Eglington Avenue West in Etobicoke. There is one problem today (January 22, 2011) with it. It is now plowed or available to be used by bicyclists.

Yes, I have seen bicyclists this cold winter in Toronto. They are using the streets. They cannot use the paths or trails howeer. There could be more bicyclists, but they are being discouraged. When will the bicycle paths and trails be plowed under Rob Ford's watch? Not likely, with all the budget cuts going on.

Those paths Rob Ford talked about during the campaign, will they be usable during winter? Will it be a promise that will depend on the weather?

Today I rode down the trail off Ravine Dr. at the bottom of Bellamy in Scarborough. When I was last down there in the autumn there was a big pile of dirt off at the other side of the beach that I thought might cut off access to the trail below the Bluffs. In previous summers I'd carry by bike across the sand and up over the large rocks to reach the trail that extended past Guildwood. I was surprised today to find fencing and a couple earth movers sitting near the sculpture, and the path is now extended all the way to Doris McCarthy Park. It is a rough ride on a steep incline to get down there, but now there's a completed circuit from Ravine Dr. to Guildwood. It is all compacted dirt (and quite muddy in spots right now), so not the same kind of ride as on other off-road trails. And there is now dirt pushing past Ravine Dr., with a rough bridge over the small creek there, so it looks like they are heading for Bluffers Park. When they reach there the number of bike riders and pedestrians on that trail will take a big increase. Which will be good, although I did sometimes enjoy the isolation of that trail.

Today I rode down the trail off Ravine Dr. at the bottom of Bellamy in Scarborough. When I was last down there in the autumn there was a big pile of dirt off at the other side of the beach that I thought might cut off access to the trail below the Bluffs. In previous summers I'd carry by bike across the sand and up over the large rocks to reach the trail that extended past Guildwood. I was surprised today to find fencing and a couple earth movers sitting near the sculpture, and the path is now extended all the way to Doris McCarthy Park. It is a rough ride on a steep incline to get down there, but now there's a completed circuit from Ravine Dr. to Guildwood. It is all compacted dirt (and quite muddy in spots right now), so not the same kind of ride as on other off-road trails. And there is now dirt pushing past Ravine Dr., with a rough bridge over the small creek there, so it looks like they are heading for Bluffers Park. When they reach there the number of bike riders and pedestrians on that trail will take a big increase. Which will be good, although I did sometimes enjoy the isolation of that trail.
Hmmm... I'll have to look for that.

Because my knees don't take the pounding of cranking up root-laden mountain paths well anymore, I switched most of my riding from mountain biking to road biking. But in the last couple of years I've been lazy and have done little of either. However, I think I'll make it a resolution to check out that path you mentioned before it gets built up.

Also, there is a beginner trail from Scarborough Bluffs Park to in behind the St. Augustine's Seminary, ending at Brimley, allowing you to ride down to Bluffer's Park. This is connected to the Waterfront Trail as mapped out here.

I was actually under the impression that Waterfront Trail was going to get built up, but I can't seem to find any reference to that, so maybe it isn't. Personally I wouldn't mind if it does get built up but a lot of my neighbours don't want it done. They hike it with their dogs, and don't really want a bazillion bikes and rollerbladers there.

However, although I would be OK with it getting it built up, I would hate it if it were lit.

Hmmm... I'll have to look for that.

Because my knees don't take the pounding of cranking up root-laden mountain paths well anymore, I switched most of my riding from mountain biking to road biking. But in the last couple of years I've been lazy and have done little of either. However, I think I'll make it a resolution to check out that path you mentioned before it gets built up.

Also, there is a beginner trail from Scarborough Bluffs Park to in behind the St. Augustine's Seminary, ending at Brimley, allowing you to ride down to Bluffer's Park. This is connected to the Waterfront Trail as mapped out here.

I was actually under the impression that Waterfront Trail was going to get built up, but I can't seem to find any reference to that, so maybe it isn't. Personally I wouldn't mind if it does get built up but a lot of my neighbours don't want it done. They hike it with their dogs, and don't really want a bazillion bikes and rollerbladers there.

However, although I would be OK with it getting it built up, I would hate it if it were lit.

Waterfront Trail is currently approved (in Toronto) for three sets of upgrades.

Central (Queen's Quay, Parliament to Spadina)

West (Humber to just past Amos Waites Park)

East ( Rouge Hill GO to Rouge Park/Pickering)

Seet Waterfront Toronto for all of these

As to the Bluffs to Guildwood section......

Officially that doesn't exist (as trail)

Its part of a TRCA anti-erosion work plan, and that is really a road to give TRCA access to do the afformentioned work to save bluffs-top homes.

Personally, I object to my tax money bieng spent this way. If you buy a house at the top of an eroding bank of sand, with a back yard only 30ft deep......

I'm not clear on why the public should pay to bail you out.......

I'd rather, at the least, see the home purchased and turned into parkspace, rather than an equally large amount to salvage said home..... but no one asked me....LOL

Implicit in the TRCA work is that some portion of it, willl likely become trail some day.....but there are no specific plans on that, just yet............

I think the land should be protected from erosion regardless whether it's a park or a house. Anyway when it does get too close a house, what you wish for happens: it gets converted to public space.

And there is a partial trail there. It's actually got signage up at the top of the bluffs for the waterfront trail.

Last edited:
Walked today from Evergreen Brickworks to Cabbagetown. What's with the bike path that starts on the other side of the road, forcing you to either cross at the Brickworks lights and then walk along the road shoulder, or run across frogger style at the base of Bayview north exit? And then this path stops in the middle of nowhere, forcing users to walk again along Bayview's shoulder to the Cabbagetown steps at Rosedale Valley Rd.

The walk to Evergreen was better as we walked up Parliament to Castle Frank into Rosedale and took the Milkman's Lane bike path beside Craigleigh Gardens. However this is a very long route. Is there no better way to walk from Evergreen to Cabbagetown?

And who designed that path on Bayview? Was it stopped mid construction?

Walked today from Evergreen Brickworks to Cabbagetown. What's with the bike path that starts on the other side of the road, forcing you to either cross at the Brickworks lights and then walk along the road shoulder, or run across frogger style at the base of Bayview north exit? And then this path stops in the middle of nowhere, forcing users to walk again along Bayview's shoulder to the Cabbagetown steps at Rosedale Valley Rd.

The walk to Evergreen was better as we walked up Parliament to Castle Frank into Rosedale and took the Milkman's Lane bike path beside Craigleigh Gardens. However this is a very long route. Is there no better way to walk from Evergreen to Cabbagetown?

Probably the Works or Roads Department. They consider bicycles (and public transit) second-class. Bicycles are just an afterthought to that organization.

I don't know the full story. We were supposed to get Jersey barriers along Bayview, insuring a protected path all the way from Brickworks down to Rosedale Valley Rd. Then, they said the offroad path would be rebuilt (and new connections added to it) as part of the Lower Don Trail rethink. But I gather all the bids for that came in to high, so the project is to be reprofiled or downsized? Sorry to be vague. But the news is not good for now.

I agree it is incredibly frustrating. Just a few small changes in the valley would make the existing amenities so much more useful. A few sets of stairs, the aforementioned Jersey barriers, and SOME INFORMATIONAL SIGNS!

As to alternative routes from Cabbagetown, here is a semi-serious suggestion: Walk from Riverdale Park West over the pedestrian bridge and down onto the Lower Don Trail. Turn north, but instead of crossing the footbridge over the Don, continue north along the unmarked path and over the railway bridge. Then walk the Don Branch railway line up over the Half Mile Bridge, which ends on the hillside just above the Brickworks.

I haven't done this for years but I think it is possible. It is of course VERY DANGEROUS so you shouldn't actually do it.

We do the Cabbagetown - Brickworks trip quite often. I agree access should be better, but this is how we do it now:

To get there: Head to Milkman's lane via Parliament, then down the hill and along the path.
To get back: Hop on the free shuttle bus that takes you from Brickworks to Broadview Stn. Then, come south on Broadview and through Riverdale Park.

We do the Cabbagetown - Brickworks trip quite often. I agree access should be better, but this is how we do it now:

To get there: Head to Milkman's lane via Parliament, then down the hill and along the path.
To get back: Hop on the free shuttle bus that takes you from Brickworks to Broadview Stn. Then, come south on Broadview and through Riverdale Park.

Assuming you're talking about biking there and back (given the title of this thread), there are a couple of interesting options for the return trip if you're willing to go just a bit out of your way (and you don't feel like going back up Milkman's Lane):

1. Head north on the Belt Line trail past the Brickworks to the ped bridge at Heath St, head east, then south on Welland, MacLennan (bridge over the tracks at Summerhill), Scholfield, Highland, Glen Rd, Elm, Sherbourne

2. Head back past Milkman's Lane along the Park Drive reservation to Roxborough/Mt Pleasant, then (cheating a bit) south to Crescent Rd, to Sherbourne

3. Same as 2, but take Roxborough east to Highland, Glen, etc., as in 1.

Relevant to the above: the city is in the process of improving access to the Lower Don Trail, including new stairs with bike troughs at Dundas and Gerrard, a continuous multi-use path along Bayview from Rosedale Valley Road to Pottery Road, a new trail bridge across the Don south of Pottery Road, and straightening of the very tight (and dangerous!) underpass under the Belleville Sub. Root damage to the asphalt surface will also be fixed, finally, and drainage will be improved on sections of the trail south of the Belleville Underpass. Construction on the first phase is to begin late this month.

Here's the full update: http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/c...0071d60f89RCRD&appInstanceName=default#update

Now if we could just get a proper access from Wellesley Park (stairs with bike troughs? accessible path with switchbacks?), there'd be a great bike + pedestrian route from Cabbagetown to the Brick Works with no backtracking required.

Last edited:
Reactions: PL1
Relevant to the above: the city is in the process of improving access to the Lower Don Trail, including new stairs with bike troughs at Dundas and Gerrard, a continuous multi-use path along Bayview from Rosedale Valley Road to Pottery Road, a new trail bridge across the Don south of Pottery Road, and straightening of the very tight (and dangerous!) underpass under the Belleville Sub. Root damage to the asphalt surface will also be fixed, finally, and drainage will be improved on sections of the trail south of the Belleville Underpass. Construction on the first phase is to begin late this month.

Here's the full update: http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/c...0071d60f89RCRD&appInstanceName=default#update

Now if we could just get a proper access from Wellesley Park (stairs with bike troughs? accessible path with switchbacks?), there'd be a great bike + pedestrian route from Cabbagetown to the Brick Works with no backtracking required.
Absolutely, it would be great to find a way down the Wellesley Park into the Don Valley. With the improved bike infrastructure on Harbord/Wellesley this is probably the best way to access the trail except for the stairs. I agree that biking along Bayview is not so pleasant, but I think the new bridge at Pottery would eliminate the worst section.

Back