News   May 02, 2024
 179     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 414     0 

Toronto's "missing middle"

'Missing middle' has become such a cliche so quickly. Buzzword if you will. I feel it's mainly rooted in unsubstantiated density hostility. What's really 'missing' or in shortage is condominium units of decent sizes (larger sizes with 3+ bedrooms), so that families have realistic options to live in the city. Building lowrise multi-plexes, or stacked townhouses with units that are still very cramped does not fill a void or help alleviate any of the housing problems we have.

Toronto lacks good density, period. It has got nothing to do with the height of the building.

stop_trying_to_make_fetch_happen_1.png.CROP.promo-mediumlarge.png

I feel it's mainly rooted in unsubstantiated density hostility.

It is verifiable difficult to get a particular housing type built in Toronto; that is fact, not hyperbole.

And, by definition, replacing single-family homes with buildings of any typology that houses more than a single family does, in fact, densify that particular site.

You've rightly identified an additional need, namely more larger units, but we should be able to walk and chew gum (encouraging/incentivizing the construction of larger units and also relaxing/changing various land use plans and regulations to densify the city all over).

There are many things at play here.

But let me first state a personal bias, I like the midrise typology. I'm by no means opposed to hirise or skycraper, they have their place in downtown and at key nodes. However, I personally don't want Danforth to be a wall of towers.

Maybe a small rise cluster at Pape reflecting its status as a future DRL interchange.

But there does need to be more density on roads like this.

And midrise offers the best potential, with the added bonus that its more politically palatable than hirise.

That said, I think there are other 'housing' issues that need fixing in other ways.

Larger units both for rent and ownership is an issue. Part of making that work is to find (relatively) cheaper land. This is not the type of housing I expect to see much of on Bay Street.

It may well require both legislative mandates and some form of government inducement. Though I would suggest the latter must be tied to the affordability of the final product, as the state would be unwise
to subsidize construction of $1,000,000 condo or $2,500 per month rentals.

Something I think isn't looked at often enough is the need to break-up over-sized neighbourhoods by establishing new 'main streets' through the middle.

By example, in Scarborough, from Eglinton to the 401, major streets are roughly 2km apart.

If this were reduced to 1km, by punching say 'Surrey' into a through street E-W linking Victoria Park to Kennedy, or even further east, this would create not merely a new transportation corridor, but a location that would allow for intensified housing, and retail at a much more walkable distance for many area residents.

To be clear, I'm not talking about a six or even four lane road.

Just one lane each direction with a lane width suited to bus service, and bike lanes, w/left-turn lanes as required.

I think this would open up substantial densification opportunity, while actually enhancing the desirability of surrounding, preserved single-family, detached housing.

Last edited:

Back