News   May 24, 2024
 6.8K     2 
News   May 24, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 24, 2024
 430     0 

Toronto's condo towers

I have a number of favourite towers but the bases really fall short.

The base of Minto Midtown is really outstanding on all levels (quality and use of materials, scale, detailing, position of retail, etc) and it really has no revival (18 Yorkville comes close).

* The development that comprises 18 Yorkville, the adjacent townhomes, and the space between them that's a small, formal park; the balcony placement that's different on all four sides of the tower.

* Spire - the subtly angled balconies, the tower's zippy use of colour and rather anorexic proportions, and the nicely differentiated podium building.

* Pure Spirit, set at a jaunty angle to the updated Gooderham flatiron prow building - which itself extends the network of narrow walkways that's part of the character of the heritage district.

* The Radio City towers, the space between them with sculptural seating, the townhomes, and the way in which the development works with the Ballet School buildings next door.

excellent:
-1 st. thomas for its yummy, meatloafy comfort food architecture.
-the met for its density intensifying properties..plus the way it peeks out over dundas square.
-1 king west for the way it gives yonge st. proportion looking south from dundas square.
-soho for the way it gives wellington punctuation looking west.

disappointing:
-spire...not nearly anorexic enough. dumpy.
-concord place...it does move the skyline west but at what cost?

1 St. Thomas and the Met are my two favourite. Minto midtown deserves mention and I'm conflicted about spire.

Of the ones rising, I'm looking forward to Murano, London and Shangri-La the most. Of the undevelops, I'm hopeful that Ritz and The Four Seasons live up to the hype. Ritz may turn out to be the best building in this sleepy 'burb.

I would say the biggest condo development in downtown Toronto.
Concord Adex Development....not only the biggest dev. in one spot...but
the Rogers Centre and the CN Tower next door and the islands a hop skip and away...great views...location location location :)

Seem's they are getting more aggressive on the styles of the building with bridges and building footprints I hope they keep it up :cool: hoping future buildings go like what we are seeing in the Olympical' Architecture on TV :D in China. Cause way to many condo's in Toronto are starting to look the same.

Sven

My vote of favorite buildings go to:
- Met 1+2
- Skymark Centre (Yonge/401)
- Aura @ College Park

For midrises I must mention:
- 550 Queens Quay West (with wavey balconies)
- One Post Road

The Met is probably my most favourite as well. It fits so perfectly and differentiates itself just enough. (I almost took that 32nd floor northeast unit with the circular balcony but passed... was it the right decision?)

Close call but Casa will be much quieter than The Met what with traffic and streetcars below, plus Casa has larger and more functional balconies. I myself am not sensitive to noise, yet I look forward to reading the NYT on my balcony on a quiet Sunday afternoon when the traffic noise is at a minimum on Jarvis Street.

Back