265     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 544     0 

Toronto's best steak?

G

ganjavih

So far, Ruth's Chris has my favourite steak in the city. The best steak I've ever had was at a place called Charly's in Kissimmee, Florida. Mind-blowing... aged to perfection and cooked over oak and orange wood for that perfect flavour. For best value in Toronto, try Tulip's at Queen E and Coxwell. Make sure you get a side order of mushrooms... good stuff.

Any thoughts about Toronto's best steak?

Had a great steak at Urban the other night. The sushi grade tuna dinner is really good too. Urban is on King just west of John.

Tom Jones, by the King Eddy. Their steak is exceptional and more reasonably priced than the American chains (and cooked on an actual grill, something the American chains do not do).

I enjoyed Ruth's Chris, but I have to say... for the cost, I didn't think it was 4x better than the Keg.

:)

I had the best steak at Carman's. The appetizers are huge. The interior somewhat dark and ramshackle with all kinds of brickabrack. Just a word of warning, don't engage the owner in a conversation or he'll pull up a chair at your table and dominate the conversation. Nice guy but not the sort of thing you want to do when you're entertaining.

I have always been quite fond of the tofu steaks at Juice for Life.

Tuna steak! I had the best tuna steak at La Pêcherie (under Movenpick in Yorkville). Only thing is - it's the kind of restaurant that changes its menu daily depending on what is in stock, so it isn't always available.

Definitely the Harbour Sixty, on harbour street, near the 1 or 2 blocks from Westin Harbour hotel

I don't remember how to spell it, but as a kid I have real fond memories of lyndy's (sp) steak house on Yongue. It's no longer there, but it was a wonderful lil restraunt with incredible steak for the cost of a mcdonalds meal.

Lindy's restaurant, at Gerrard - I don't believe it was known as a steak house. For nostalgia only, I was sad to see it closed a short time ago.

20 years ago I worked shift work with this guy who took on overtime specifically because it entitled him to a free meal, and the food was provided by Lindy's. He was the kind of person who would order the most expensive thing on the menu if someone else was paying, so naturally he always ordered a steak. One time he got his steak and it was burnt, so the next time he ordered it, he told them on the phone, "...and please don't burn it." They sent it almost raw.

:D

One time at Lyndy's waiting for a play (the original forever plaid) to start at the new yorker I accidentally had mistaken the sugar for salt and poured sugar all over my fries. A couple of beat officiers were eating next to us and couldn't stop laughing. Later on the waitress brought me a new side of fries on a plate and in the window we saw the cops waving at us. Hey I was pretty young but I know that's something I'm never gonna forget :)

I have come to the conclusion that there is no answer to the best steak because there are too many variables affecting your experience at the same steakhouse on each subsequent visit. Set aside hunger at the time, quality of companionship, amount drank etc...it basically comes down to the quality of the cut - which can vary visit to visit. I understand US cuts are generally better because they have more marbling (they're fatter and more flavourable) than in Canada where Health Canada has tried to lower fat content in beef. I have no idea if that's true actually, except to say that Americans are by far the world's best cookers of meat. The main thing though is that each of us has a precise level of "doneness", but if the thing is cooked 1 minute longer or shorter it's a dissapoinment. That said, Morton's is a little over-rated, Harbour 60 is excellent. Any good place can pull together "the best steal ever" when the God's are smiling - except Lindy's which was unchewable crap. I'm going to Morton's right now, uh I guess not since my wife doesn'y like steak. Guess it will be Indian, again...

Can anyone comment on Morton's? How does it compare to Ruth's Chris and Carmen's?

Back