News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 460     0 

Toronto's and Province's New 12.4B Eglinton/SRT/Sheppard Plan

Mayor Rob Ford says that they have buses that go to the racetrack, so they really should be grateful.

Yea and meanwhile we are getting a full fledged subway to Wal*mart so we should be grateful :)

Sad that Etobicoke gets burned on transit this time around, yet ironic that Doug Ford is Etobicoke councilor...

All-in-all its a great plan!

If they can reduce the costs of the eglinton line by elevating it from Don Mills to Kennedy, they would save a tonne and could maybe send the remainder to extending the line to malvern town centre!

Since the line will be interlined, looks like we're gonna have one hell of a long "blue-line" in this city!!

Can't wait for all this to come together!

Not meaning any disrespect here but I really don't understand the mad rush to get Eglinton to STC as opposed to connecting it to Pearson? Given the number of people coming and going from Pearso (worker's and travelers) I would have anchored the west end of the Eglinton line there and taken it as far east as the available money would take it.

Not meaning any disrespect here but I really don't understand the mad rush to get Eglinton to STC as opposed to connecting it to Pearson? Given the number of people coming and going from Pearso (worker's and travelers) I would have anchored the west end of the Eglinton line there and taken it as far east as the available money would take it.

The SRT needs to be replaced within the next few years, thus they encorporated the two to use the same type of technology and construction within similar time frame.
The bonus is the elimination of a transfer at Kennedy.

Ok let me get this straight... There not going to be using streetcars and they can't use the current SRT fleet due to the company that made the equipment not in existence anymore. So are they goin to get bombardier to make mini subways or???

The SRT technology has evolved into Bombardier's ART. Upgrading the SRT was something the TTC considered. According to The Star, they will use "LRT technology" for the Eglinton Line. So I imagine they'll use the Transit City LRVs.

Interlining the SRT and Eglinton Crosstown connects the two routes that will be using the new TC LRVs. And there are more votes in Scarborough than Etobicoke.

Interlining the SRT and Eglinton Crosstown connects the two routes that will be using the new TC LRVs. And there are more votes in Scarborough than Etobicoke.

I would imagine that people working at the airport come from all over the city, so if votes were the motivation.......

Using LRT vehicles on this route does allow for the possibility of a Western surface connection to the airport in the far-flung future.

Keeping Eglinton as LRT is probably a symptom of having a signed vehicle order contract with Bombardier as much as it is anything else.

Is the Sheppard East LRT dead? That got federal funding and work has started (on a rail grade separation at Agincourt that doesn't necessarily rest on LRT implementation).

I am glad that Eglinton is a go, but never really felt it needed to be a subway LRT east of Don Mills, but makes sense if that replaces the SRT as one fully-grade separated route. It won't do much to solve the problem that only a DRL could do, though.

Finch West was a pretty solid LRT-lite route, it getting canned is unfortunate.

Is the Sheppard East LRT dead?
That's what the media is reporting. And the media is saying that the city will be on the hook for 100% of the cost of cancelling it.

Finch West was a pretty solid LRT-lite route, it getting canned is unfortunate.
It is ... and I have to wonder if City Council will approve this ...

Lorinc in the Globe:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...plan-wins-provincial-approval/article1963854/

Nw-railways-fix07-_1230622a.jpg

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...plan-for-the-ttc/article1933258/?from=1963854

Few thoughts:

1. To the casual observer I think they won't be able to really tell that Eglinton is light rail rather than heavy rail. Assuming we design the exteriors of the LRVs to look similar to the new subways, many will be none the wiser. Also worth noting that while it may cost not much more to make it a "true" subway, it would mean having to redo some of the EA and other plans which could mean a setback of another few years. Personally, I'll take a subway with "light" vehicles with construction starting now over a subway with "heavy" vehicles and no construction starting for another 3+ years.

2. I think the province is waiting to see what happens with Ford's political future before expanding the line further west. If he gets re-elected, then they will probably run the line elevated into Etobicoke along Eglinton through the ROW. However if he gets the boot, then Eglinton will probably be akin to Calgary-styled LRT running at-grade, but with protected crossings.

3. Maybe being overly optimistic, but a Finch BRT could operate in the hydro corridor with local service along the avenue. If Ford's subway extension plan doesn't work out (hey, it "could" happen... ;) ), then the Finch bus could be extended across to Yonge to close the gap. Creative thinking: the bus could even run a branch from Finch station to York University, thus removing a transfer for commuters coming from the east end.

What's going to happen when oil prices skyrocket to over $200 a barrel? (Was $83 at the October city election, it is now over $100 a barrel.)

Just because Rob has a phobia against surface rail, we get this expensive alternative where the Finch West riders and Etobicoke residents end up as losers.

Oil was $147 per Barrel in July 2008, so you see the price of oil is decreasing...

Thus ends today's lesson in arbitrary end points.

Authors note: In no way am I actually suggesting that the price of oil is decresing.

Last edited:
The only real "news" here is that the Eglinton LRT will run underground as far as Kennedy and that Finch will be some kind of "improved" bus. The money isn't any different from before, except that the McGuinty government greenlighted Ford et al to try to get private funding for their Sheppard subway. Good luck with that.

Anyway, while I didn't mind the original plans for Eglinton, this has ballooned into very costly territory: speding $8 billion for an underground LRT line that runs under big box malls in the Golden Mile is the second most costly public transit project in North America right now after New York's 2nd Avenue subway line - which, I would argue, is a better use of $15B than Eglinton is of $8B. This is going to be Mirabel II.

Last edited:

Back