Toronto Zoo aims to go green

CityPlaceN1

Member Bio
Reaction score
Toronto Zoo aims to go green

TANNIS TOOHEY/TORONTO STAR

http://www.thestar.com/article/308128

ZOO CHIEF'S FUTURE UNCLEAR
As the Toronto Zoo contemplates a $250 million fundraising campaign, the future of chief executive Calvin White remains unclear.

Raymond Cho, who chairs the zoo's board of management, said yesterday White is on a personal leave of absence. He declined further comment.

White had sought a leave of absence in December. In January, zoo board members were presented with a proposal that White be given a severance package of two years' pay. His pay and taxable benefits in 2006 totalled $214,110.

Some board members asked for more information, and the zoo board has since been seeking advice from lawyers and human resources staff.

- John Spears

Feb 29, 2008 04:30 AM
JOHN SPEARS
CITY HALL BUREAU
The Toronto Zoo is on the verge of launching a quarter-billion-dollar fundraising campaign while repositioning itself as a major force for conservation and education.

The ambitious $250 million target is in a similar range as recent fundraising drives by the Royal Ontario Museum and the Art Gallery of Ontario. But with those campaigns in their final stages, consultants say the timing is ripe for the zoo to launch its own drive.

The zoo must persuade donors it's more than just a place to see cute or exotic animals, a consultant told the zoo's management board yesterday.

Many of the projects the $250 million will cover meet a refreshed green mandate, including:

A $32 million revamp of the Canadian exhibits, including a grizzly bear compound.
A $21.5 million education centre focusing on biodiversity and sustainability. The structure will be built to top-rated environmental standards.
A $17 million permanent giant panda exhibit. The zoo has an agreement with China to get the animals, but still needs co-operation from the federal government before the pandas can be secured.
A new animal health centre for $8.3 million.
A $32.8 million conservation fund that would allow the zoo to fund projects anywhere in the world.
A $2.5 million fund for reproductive research so the zoo can breed more animals. That's in keeping with the zoo's conservation mandate.
"You need to create a grander vision of what the Toronto Zoo is," consultant Sandy MacKenzie of DVA Navion told the board.

The firm's public research found that people mostly had positive feelings about the zoo, with one exception: "They didn't truly believe that you lived your conservation and education mandate."

"Just to be an attraction will not raise you this money," MacKenzie said. "You need to go to the next level, and you must live green and cause people to become green."

Board members agreed that the zoo's green mandate needs freshening.

"Most people look at the Toronto Zoo as an entertainment attraction similar to Canada's Wonderland," said Councillor Glenn De Baeremaeker (Ward 38, Scarborough Centre).

Councillor Michael Thompson (Ward 37, Scarborough Centre) agreed the zoo is "not living up to its potential."

Although attendance has remained healthy – it grew 16 per cent last year, to 1.43 million visitors – it has suffered from declining city funding.

The city gave the zoo $8 million annually in the early 1990s, equivalent to $13 million today. But recently, city grants for operations have shrunk to less than $5 million a year.

Spending on exhibits has also withered. Under constant budget pressure, for example, zoo staff had originally proposed a $15 million overhaul of the Canadian exhibits.

But chief operating officer Robin Hale said staff now want to decide on the best way to do a project, then raise the money to do it right. Zoos today must also meet higher standards to keep animals healthy and happy.

In response, the zoo board yesterday approved spending $32 million on the renovation, which will be paid for by the fundraising.

Hale agreed the zoo needs to reassert its role in conservation and education. "I think our voice can speak volumes for people to respect nature, and we have the opportunity with our site to introduce people to nature."

The fundraising campaign, to be run by the arm's-length Toronto Zoo Foundation, will begin with a $50 million first stage.

DVA Navion said it's crucial to have the foundation run the campaign because the zoo is a city agency and donors want to be sure their money isn't siphoned off into other parts of the city budget.

The zoo board will ask the foundation to work out a detailed campaign, but the broad elements of how the money will be spent have already been plotted, Hale said.

The plan calls for $110 million of the $250 million total to come from three levels of government. A further $115 million will be raised from individuals, while corporate donors will be targeted for $20 million, and foundations for $5 million.

Board members embraced the fundraising goal and the idea that it will require a bigger emphasis on conservation. "I think we can do it," said De Baeremaeker. "We've never dared to dream this big before."

The Toronto Zoo has been seeing many more people, however it has declined from many years back.

I think easily the Zoo can be much better.

I suggest getting in privite donations.

Really Who cares if a place is called "The Scotia Bank Monkey Compound... "

They've already got into private donations. The Siberian tiger exhibit has (well, at least had when I was last there) Esso's name all over it, as do a few others.

I think the best single improvement they could make to the zoo would be to relocate it downtown. I have no idea how to get there and I've lived in Toronto all my life. I can easily look it up but the point is that the zoo is not on Torontonians' radar.

I think the best single improvement they could make to the zoo would be to relocate it downtown. I have no idea how to get there and I've lived in Toronto all my life. I can easily look it up but the point is that the zoo is not on Torontonians' radar.

The city's first zoo used to be downtown (1894-1974), though I suppose it wasn't exactly considered downtown at the time ;) It closed just as the Metropolitan Zoo was opening in Scarborough.

http://www.toronto.ca/parks/riverdalehistory.htm
http://www.torontozoo.com/AboutTheZoo/History.asp

Overview in 1925
s0071_it3789.jpg

Polar Bears in 1926
f1231_it0467.jpg

Riverdale Farm was opened 1978 as an urban farm, still a zoo I guess, though also well hidden away.

Maybe the big Zoo should look into creating a downtown satellite somewhere with permanent or rotating exhibitions. I suppose rotating displays are kinda hard, given with how realistic their enclosures would have to be to avoid accusations of mistreatment.

A green shuttle bus linking the two might be a really convenient way for urban dwellers and visitors to get to the main zoo, but it's a pretty long drive to be considered a shuttle-hop.

Pandas! And bring back the monorail! And instead of the Zoo Rocket, maybe GO could serve it?

Between schools going on fewer field trips and the endlessly rising cost of admission (a family of four will spend $100 on admission, parking, and food), I think the Zoo has taken a big hit in the attendance rate of GTAers and has probably been forced to rely more on tourists, thus jacking up the cost of admission. The Zoo thrived in the 80s because of the repeat attendance of kids and families: everyone was concerned with eco/environment stuff, WWF, endangered animals, etc., and they also had a steady stream of special events like pandas and koalas. Maybe Metro took better care of it, too.

Great idea! We should then relocate all the MINT skyscrapers to the suburbs because that's where the employees live!

Let the animals go wild. That'd really be "going green" big time.

2307905493_9a0a917a8d_o.jpg

Monorail!

I recall visiting the Riverdale Zoo in the early 70's during school trips. I remember the poor sad gorilla we always visited. He just stood there clasping the bars looking straight at us with those sad eyes. Those sad eyes still haunt me and more so when I take the kids to the current day 'farm' and visit the monkey/gorilla exhibit, which is still standing. I see those pics posted and can't believe the cramped conditions the animals had to endure. The new Zoo was a huge improvement and we really enjoyed visiting when it first opened. The monorail was always the first thing we did. I remember watching the bears running away and climbing the tree, when the monorail approached their compound. It had this very distinctive humming noise as it approached.

Back