Toronto Yonge & Rich Condominiums | 156.35m | 46s | Great Gulf | a—A

The crane can lift them out. (I guess I should say 'a' crane, as I am not sure if the fixed cranes can hold that high a load.)

Last edited:
How does the operator of the excavator with the very long neck see what he's scooping? Is there a camera system installed on the bucket or around it?

Posting back the pictures
IMG_7280.JPG
IMG_7281.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7280.JPG
    IMG_7280.JPG
    345.1 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_7281.JPG
    IMG_7281.JPG
    340.8 KB · Views: 373
Last edited by a moderator:
Please be advised that Construction Management will be scheduling the hoisting of �EXCAVATORS �from Lombard Street on Sunday, November 5, 2017. ��Lombard will be closed from �Victoria Street to Spice Mill lane �between 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM. �All local traffic will have access to parking lots and driveways.

I find it interesting that most parking in Toronto is underground, whereas in the states, specifically, Chicago, most of it is above ground. I imagine it's much cheaper to build it above ground, so why do we build it underground here? I'm not complaining, it's a lot nicer, but I'm curious why developers do it. It's not like they're doing just to be nice; is there some legislation behind this phenomenon or something?

City doesn't allow it. Also the city counts it as GFA so it eats into your allowable density. If it is underground it does not count as GFA. The only above ground structures the city typically allows is for public parking or if there is some unique situation that prevents it (such as the subway being underneath the site).

There are only a handful of above ground garages that have been constructed during the last 15 years..

Exhibit
Casa 1
Teahouse (under construction right now)
Couple more I can't think of.

There is some above ground structure in Time+Space as well, but that is the first development that I have seen to do it without some "reason". The site is so large that it is entirely shielded from view from the street anyway as units entirely surround it.

89 Peter, Cinema Tower, Uptown Condos, all have above some grade parking too. Those three attempt to hide it, while down at the waterfront, the Westin Harbour Castle has that honking big above ground block, and the Harbour Square Residences have that huge open-sided garage. Those are old now, of course. Speaking of the Westin, the new proposal for the Westin Prince redevelopment includes it, but I expect they'll get pushback on that.

The city has been more receptive of it in suburban contexts. All the new residential towers along the 427 feature extensive above grade parking structures.

Massey Tower is AG parking as well

Back