Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Is this the first time Bouygues and Acciona have bid on work in Toronto? There's so much work in process that more and more of the major international contractors are getting involved.

Reactions: rbt
Something that’s always bothered me is why a station wasn’t planned at or between Centre/John St, functionally being the “missing” concession between Steeles and Hwy 7. Knowing Royal Orchards situation, I must assume Clark was a coverage/TOD decision? I feel like you’d get better local YRT integration/access at the de facto major street here, even if Thornhill generally lacks a good road network to work with. Maybe the problem is political- with a station at John/Centre, your spacing couldn’t justify a second station in Thornhill…

Maybe the problem is political- with a station at John/Centre, your spacing couldn’t justify a second station in Thornhill…

Yeah, I'm sure this has all been covered here, back in the day, but:
-Unlike Centre, Clark continues East (and is envisioned to have Viva lanes, eventually).
-Centre and John have development constraints from the heritage district.
-And yes with spacing you were never going to get Clark and also one of those two

If you really look at the streetscape along Yonge and the adjacent neighbourhoods etc, Clark makes a lot more sense. .

(

-Unlike Centre, Clark continues East (and is envisioned to have Viva lanes, eventually).
-And yes with spacing you were never going to get Clark and also one of those two

If you really look at the streetscape along Yonge and the adjacent neighbourhoods etc, Clark makes a lot more sense. .

(
Interesting, though Clark isn't going that much further East, it's not being extended.
Where's the plan for Viva lanes on Clark?

The reasoning that you get an extra stop by using Clark makes some sense.

Not that it's happening anytime soon but it's penciled in for Centre and John Street to be widened.

Something that’s always bothered me is why a station wasn’t planned at or between Centre/John St, functionally being the “missing” concession between Steeles and Hwy 7. Knowing Royal Orchards situation, I must assume Clark was a coverage/TOD decision? I feel like you’d get better local YRT integration/access at the de facto major street here, even if Thornhill generally lacks a good road network to work with. Maybe the problem is political- with a station at John/Centre, your spacing couldn’t justify a second station in Thornhill…
Well, the YRT buses actually don't go to Yonge and John. There's some benefit to allow buses to through-run on Clark which would be difficult on Centre/John. So YRT integration could be better on Clark. And I think getting two stations in Thornhill is a big motivator.
Yonge Bus.jpg

(
Well actually, thats exactly it. I worked in the area for a good while and I thought Centre/John made more intuitive sense. Guess thats my opinion. I rarely ever saw any YRT buses off Yonge street, so I guess that didn't click for me either.

A station at Clark ranks higher for the local density than one at Centre / John would, while the connectivity ranking of either location would be about equal.

I doubt they will ever run Clark or Centre service across Yonge. But they can easily run the #77 Centre down Yonge to terminate at the Clark station. And, they might direct the #2 John - Doncaster to the same Clark station, creating a single-transfer connection between the west and east.

From a 2015 document. @TJ O'Pootertoot mentioned the heritage districts and this highlights it clearly. Yeah, not much development/density benefit for having a subway stop right in the middle of a heritage district and ravine. Maybe you can do development but it'd be a pain in the ass. (@Sunnyside, it seems the heritage conversation has been discussed in the past, don't worry I'm also new)

YongeStudies.jpg

From the walkshed you can see that Centre/John would still get some decent coverage.
ClarkWalkTime.jpg

Last edited:
There were plans to have dedicated Viva lanes from Promenade Terminal to Finch Station as shown in the map from 2017, but that has since been removed the last one I saved and the current one.
Yeah, it's interesting that the Viva Orange BRT is even mentioned in the 2021 press release for Clark Station.

Next Metrolinx Open House for this project:

Good afternoon,

As someone who has registered for our events before, it is with great pleasure that we extend this invitation to you to attend the upcoming Yonge North Subway Extension (YNSE) Open House scheduled to take place on Thursday, January 25, 2024, from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at the Langstaff Community Centre in the Yorkshire Room, located at 155 Red Maple Road in Richmond Hill.

The YNSE Open House aims to provide you with updates on the project and what we are planning for the YNSE. This is a great opportunity to drop in and find out more about the work and ask any questions you may have. Our YNSE representatives will be available to answer your questions.

Please find the invitation attached to this email. For more information, please visit metrolinx.com/YongeSubwayExt.

We look forward to your attendance and the opportunity to engage with you.

Sincerely,

The YNSE Community Engagement Team

Back