Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Not sure if this is related. But here is a massive proposal for Yonge And Steeles. Could be a result of the Subway being extended.

It calls for the Centerpoint Mall to be replaced with 18 Towers.

Screen-Shot-2022-01-07-at-10.47.18-AM.png

Another reason for the Downtown Relief/Ontario Line and the Richmond Hill GO, as alternatives. It will add more passenger congestion to Line 1. Another reason to split Line 1 into two separate lines.

Another reason for the Downtown Relief/Ontario Line and the Richmond Hill GO, as alternatives. It will add more passenger congestion to Line 1. Another reason to split Line 1 into two separate lines.
Where would you split Line 1? You'd need a new terminal.

Where would you split Line 1? You'd need a new terminal.

Union Station?

1641584451149.png
From link.
The Yonge leg would use the north side of Union Station. The University leg would use the south side of Union Station. The Union Storage tracks in the middle between Union and St. Andrew would become a northbound track for the University leg.

1641584752250.png

The north side tracks between Union and St. Andrew Stations would become storage tracks.

In 1963; the scissor crossovers at the east end of Union was replaced by a single crossover. Whether or not they return the scissor crossovers return depend if they need it for maintenance purposes during off hours or not. See link.

To be practical, the wall between the north platform and south tracks would have be taken down. Union Station would become "Spanish Solution" platform. The University trains would open doors on both sides. With platform screen doors, of course.
M%C3%BCnchen_Marienplatz.jpg
From link.

Last edited:
Union Station?

View attachment 373534From link.
The Yonge leg would use the north side of Union Station. The University leg would use the south side of Union Station. The Union Storage tracks in the middle between Union and St. Andrew would become a northbound track for the University leg.

View attachment 373539
The north side tracks between Union and St. Andrew Stations would become storage tracks.
Are there any long term disadvantages to using the storage tracks as the primary tracks? Will the switches/crossovers need replace/maintenance more often?

Not sure if this is related. But here is a massive proposal for Yonge And Steeles. Could be a result of the Subway being extended.

It calls for the Centerpoint Mall to be replaced with 18 Towers.

Screen-Shot-2022-01-07-at-10.47.18-AM.png

And look at all that lovely yellowbelt just across the street that can never be touched!

Union Station?

View attachment 373534From link.

View attachment 373539

In 1963; the scissor crossovers at the east end of Union was replaced by a single crossover. Whether or not they return the scissor crossovers return depend if they need it for maintenance purposes during off hours or not. See link.

To be practical, the wall between the north platform and south tracks would have be taken down. Union Station would become "Spanish Solution" platform. The University trains would open doors on both sides. With platform screen doors, of course.
M%C3%BCnchen_Marienplatz.jpg
From link.
What about the Spadina LRT platform?
Also I believe there is no more space to build another platform since there are office towers around the station.

What about the Spadina LRT platform?
Also I believe there is no more space to build another platform since there are office towers around the station.
There is a platform on the south side of Union Station already, opened on August 18, 2014. See link. They put up a wall between the Yonge bound and University bound trains. Could remove that wall to allow passengers to walk across to opposite trains.

platformplanc.jpg
From link.

There is a platform on the south side of Union Station already, opened on August 18, 2014. See link. They put up a wall between the Yonge bound and University bound trains. Could remove that wall to allow passengers to walk across to opposite trains.

platformplanc.jpg
From link.
I mean south of that since someone had mentioned the need for another platform.

Would certainly be neat if Yonge were detached and deadended at Queens Quay. Current U/S would continue using Union, but Yonge would have an inline new Union built around the rail corridor as a connected Union interchange, and a new station terminal at Queens Quay to connect with the LRT. Non service trains could still use the U to connect Y and U/S.

In theory not too much benefit, but does solve the issue of connecting the waterfront streetcar. Just a continuous E-W line, no more streetcar loop or madly expensive loop upgrade plans. And plus future Yonge and QQ density could benefit from a direct subway connection.

Would certainly be neat if Yonge were detached and deadended at Queens Quay. Current U/S would continue using Union, but Yonge would have an inline new Union built around the rail corridor as a connected Union interchange, and a new station terminal at Queens Quay to connect with the LRT. Non service trains could still use the U to connect Y and U/S.

In theory not too much benefit, but does solve the issue of connecting the waterfront streetcar. Just a continuous E-W line, no more streetcar loop or madly expensive loop upgrade plans. And plus future Yonge and QQ density could benefit from a direct subway connection.
It would be cheaper to make use of the Richmond Hill corridor to ferry customers from York Region to Union station. The GO train takes 40min from Langstaff to Union. I'm sure that the subway would be around the same time but with more stops. 30 min from Finch to Union plus 15 to get to highway 7.
The Bala Sub has a lot of curves and is really slow in the Union station corridor. Maybe they can shave off 5 minutes? Don't know if they can make the straight section any faster between Doncaster to about Eglinton ave. I think the track speed is about 40mph.

It would be cheaper to make use of the Richmond Hill corridor to ferry customers from York Region to Union station. The GO train takes 40min from Langstaff to Union. I'm sure that the subway would be around the same time but with more stops. 30 min from Finch to Union plus 15 to get to highway 7.
The Bala Sub has a lot of curves and is really slow in the Union station corridor. Maybe they can shave off 5 minutes? Don't know if they can make the straight section any faster between Doncaster to about Eglinton ave. I think the track speed is about 40mph.

Sorry I think we're on diff wavelengths. I meant detaching Line 1 from itself to create two lines. I'm not a fan of the streetcar loop plans so anything other than that is always on my mind.
Line-1-detached-at-Union.png

The numbers Metrolinx provided suggest that the Richmond Hill Line will be faster than Line 1 if you're taking it to destinations South of Queen Street, meanwhile destinations north of that will be faster with just Line 1. Queen Station itself is a tie. I have written several long essays on this thread about all of the problems with "replacing YNSE with GO improvements" and I frankly don't want to do that again, but in short, it will help divert some traffic, but its not a silver bullet.

However in the context of Richmond Hill Line being used to supplement Line 1 and the YNSE, really it depends on A) Getting access to the North Toronto Sub, and B) Reconverting the Don Mills Trail back to Rail (good luck with that). Get both of those things done and you're free to electrify it and turn the line to something that could be pretty useful as an express service between RHC and Union.

Plans for phase 2 of Ontario line should be announced in the next 5 years.

Plans for phase 2 of Ontario line should be announced in the next 5 years.
Phase two should extend the Ontario Line from the Science Center to Don Mills on the Sheppard Line and from Exhibition up to Dundas West Station and maybe even link up with the Eglinton LRT at Mount Dennis

And look at all that lovely yellowbelt just across the street that can never be touched!

Except, as I posted in the Centerpoint thread, there is a new Secondary Plan that will make some decent chunks of that yellowbelt, on the Toronto side, extremely touchable, within matter of months.

1641660180696.png

And of course, the Secondary Plan for the Vaughan side was passed back in 2010 (But still at the OMB!). So between the two, there isn't really much yellowbelt to seen in this area.
1641660335735.png

Back