Toronto Yonge Eglinton Centre | ?m | 37s | RioCan | P + S / IBI

If this upgrade solves the wind tunnel effect at the NW corner of this intersection, I'm all for it. Looks like we're getting another 500'er as well.

The reclad of these towers is the best part of this project (and the additional height).

The renderings are nice and all, but I'm admittedly not a huge fan of so drastically changing the appearance of such prominent buildings. These buildings are the First Canadian Place of midtown, and especially because the towers aren't even ugly, I think that the height increase should mirror the existing design.

I doubt very much that one could get the cladding of the added stories to match the original building well enough. Given that the whole thing will therefore have to be reclad, it makes sense to update the look. (Frankly, I think these buildings are terribly mundane, and would be happy to see something fresher when I walk by them every day.)

I've always wondered if the concrete "tabs" of the present YEC facades were originally meant to support some kind of brise-soleil arrangement...

I have not seen this posted elsewhere and thought it fits best here. A pedestrian square has been created on the north side of the YE Centre by the experimental street closure of Orchard View at Yonge until October. As someone who was saddened by the potential loss of the YE Centre outdoor space I would be happy if the street closure is permanent. I snapped a few pics on the first day last week (work was still being done). The Thursday Apple Tree market has moved here from North Toronto Community Centre. The rest of the week the hot dog vendor is a lucky guy!

IMG_3910-1.jpg

IMG_3912-1.JPG

IMG_3914-1.jpg

IMG_3915-1.jpg

Last 2 photos are of south square that will be mostly enclosed in the approved addition.

http://appletreemarkets.ca/index.cfm
reports the following:

Karen Stintz, City Councillor and Chair of the TTC, invites residents to attend the opening of Toronto's newest pedestrian square, located at Yonge Street and Orchard View Blvd. This inititaive reflects the desire of local residents to create a more vibrant and liveable community and city.

"Our community has been discussing the importance of enhancing local public space and collectively, we realized that roads are the most abundant public space that cities own," said Councillor Karen Stintz. "With this in mind, we decided to transform one roadway in our community to serve a new and entirely different purpose."

The road space at Yonge and Orchard View has been closed to cars and furnished with café tables and chairs, sun umbrellas and planters. Every Thursday afternoon, the pedestrian square will feature the Apple Tree Farmers' Market. Other community activities are being planned for the space during the fifteen week pilot project.

"This pedestrian square is a handsome experiment in rethinking public space; good places that let us slow down, meet friends, and smell the flowers are the stuff of community-building," said Tom Cohen, Chair of the Eglinton Park Residents' Association. "We neighbours wish it well."

Attachments

• IMG_3910-1.jpg
    IMG_3910-1.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_3915-1.jpg
    IMG_3915-1.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_3914-1.jpg
    IMG_3914-1.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_3912-1.JPG
    IMG_3912-1.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 359
Boy, were you ever wrong. The planning for the intensification of YE is absent. All planning has been taken over by the local councillors. In this case, 3, Stintz, Matlow and Robinson. The area is overseen by two Planning Districts, North and South. Councillors make lousy planners and the planners have sold out to the politicians. There's still time to save YE. We need a MIDTOWN PLAN and a revised Secondary Plan. The local citizens will have to do this since the planning department is on its knees. We need to save one of the most significant intersections in Canada and ensure it does us proud.

Times have changed now that certain people have moved out of the area. Now all planning is being done by Karen Stintz. I'm sure there's more than a few who are not anti-development on this forum but I'm pretty sure most will agree that councillors make lousy planners. Why we are tolerating this at YE is beyond me. It's got to be one of the most important intersections in the country and there isn't even a comprehensive plan for it. (I mean one crafted by professionals, not the councillor-led type) The area is controlled by 3 councillors and two planning department sections, neither of which appear to have the capacity to be proactive. Remember, this was the same planning department that couldn't come up with one good planning reason to retain the open space on the NW corner! It's a farce. We need a MIDTOWN PLAN and an updated YE Secondary Plan or the area will be a small wonder when it should be a big one.

Anyone have info on this ?? I can't wait for this to get started - both the office and retail expansion - and hopefully a very nice roof top space.

I havent seen updates on this in a while. i just hope they go through with it. Considering the potential future activity on the northeast corner, its only fitting the northwest corner gets some love too. I would personally prefer a white glass cladding like FCP to reflect the current look of the building, but i must admit the black is looking nice in the render. If anyone knows if/when this is expected to happen please let me and taal know!!!

I havent seen updates on this in a while. i just hope they go through with it. Considering the potential future activity on the northeast corner, its only fitting the northwest corner gets some love too. I would personally prefer a white glass cladding like FCP to reflect the current look of the building, but i must admit the black is looking nice in the render. If anyone knows if/when this is expected to happen please let me and taal know!!!

Do you live in the area ? Based on your location it seems that way.

I'm about one block north / east of Yonge and Eglinton.

Do you live in the area ? Based on your location it seems that way.

I'm about one block north / east of Yonge and Eglinton.

I consider yonge and eg midtown, thus my name :) i have lived either at yonge and lawrence most of my life but yonge and eg has always been my stomping grounds so to speak

I lived at Yonge & Eg for 25 years before moving downtown. It's perfect. I'd love to move back there one day.

Back