Toronto YC Condos -- Yonge at College | 198.42m | 62s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

The government regulates almost everything. It can regulate cladding materials as well. There should be a justification and evidence beyond something flimsy like subjective aesthetic concerns that can't be measured scientifically. It could be that the city finds evidence that higher-quality buildings with better cladding promote long-term investment and vitality in an area, requiring less public investment in revitalization and renewal schemes over time. Perhaps spandrel is less durable than precast or brick and will contribute to waste when it has to be replaced.

Basically, the cladding issue needs to be linked to some public policy concern that's rooted in evidence and data.
This is essentially a declaration that a solution has been found, but we better dig up some problems justify it…

and that's the kind of thinking that keeps me "left-of-centre" and not a full leftist: this would be hopeless over-regulation.

I agree with @ProjectEnd here fully in that the degree of description that would need to be written into the regulation would be so cumbersome as to be unrealistically restrictive and architecturally stifling. The regulation would constantly need to be rewritten to take into account advances in materials, and as that rewriting simply wouldn't happen on a timely basis, we would fall (even further) behind technologically (than we already are when it comes to cladding materials, if you want to compare us with modern European architecture).

Fair enough, but that doesn't really respond to the issue I was raising. Toronto might not have been given authority to so compel, but I was asking whether there is good reason to believe it could be given such authority. ProjectEnd's post responded directly to this concern, and I think the Junctionist's post moves the debate forward meaningfully in my direction.

Sorry if I didn't respond more fully to your post, but this has been addressed so many times in so many threads, that it becomes tiresome expressing it all again and again and again. Essentially I think more regulation of this type is a hopeless cause, and that the best way to effect change to cladding beyond what happens because of occasional updates to the Ontario Building Code, etc., is to keep up the social pressure when you see things you don't like. It's tough to make a big impact in a market where virtually everything sells, but make developers regret cheaping out on finishes with bad reviews, or reward them with praise when you see good work, and slowly but surely you'll affect change.

You and I would. The "at least it's different" crowd likely won't be as accommodating.

Today.
IMG_3427.jpg
IMG_3428.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3427.jpg
    IMG_3427.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_3428.jpg
    IMG_3428.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 264
Just when you thought Canderel couldn't come up with a development that was any worse; this development is truly turning into a monolithic disaster. I'd rather take another Aura than this non-sense, there is literally no saving grace anywhere to be seen.

Regulating the performance of cladding is the answer. And as for spandrel with an insulated backpan, that still doesn't hold a candle to the performance of a more sophisticated solution with a proper back-up wall. Legislation that requires better performance targets for cladding systems would both increase the quality of the glazing systems employed on projects that require a high degree of glazing and would also enable architects to use more solid-wall systems for better performance on projects where the architecture requires more solid area and punched-out windows. There is a great interest in doing more such buildings at the architectural level but the client/developer has become accustomed to using window wall and getting them to budge and adjust their pro-forma to account for better glazing or for solid cladding systems is... next to impossible.

Re: rewriting the legislation on a regular basis based on advances in cladding systems: the changes in building science and the marketplace only happen so quickly. And legislation should respond to advances in building science. Given the prominence of real estate development and buildings in terms of economic and environmental impact, it's an entirely worthwhile endeavour. The government already tests and approves particular systems and materials for use here, so a lot of the work is already done. Nobody is saying that we need to require developers to use the very latest, most cutting-edge solutions. But the outdated and very low-ranking window wall and spandrel crap we're seeing everywhere would easily be the first to fall below the cut-off for system performance and longevity.

What is madness to me is the 60/40 rule because it's a lazy legislation that results in exactly what we've seen as a result. Developers want all-glass because they've become accustomed to having one contractor handle all of the envelope. Any solid parts of a facade become spandrel glass.

Specifying a particular level of performance would enable architects to spec better systems and to explore more options for the cladding of a building. We need to get away from glazing behind a default, and as a result, copious spandrel cladding. But even when an architect tries to spec something other than glass, the client will push them back to it.

As for having the public put pressure on developers to make better choices; that's valid and important but there will never be enough pressure or interest from the public to make a sustained, meaningful difference. And even in many cases where there is pressure, developers are going to rationalize their choices in order to make their millions. The opinion of the public and even the uninformed purchasers, is largely irrelevant, so long as they can sell their units.

Stricter and more sophisticated building-code legislation has worked in many other countries and it would work here. It's getting these changes past the lobbyists and homebuilders associations that is the tricky part.

Last edited:
If improved cladding can be tied to performance standards, then yes, of course, legislate the window wall outta here.

just waiting for some balcony railings .... fingers crossed

There are some saying that all this grey spandrel was in the renders....but I don't see it, at least not in the podium. Are they still planning to do the red glass (or spandrel?) in the podium? At this point I don't know if that would make things better or worse.

Back