Toronto YC Condos -- Yonge at College | 198.42m | 62s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

It looks fine on Lago at the Watefront - and if this turns out as pleasantly as that did - I'll be happy

Lagos has a much nicer colour block sweater pattern than YC but, I still find it really goofy and not in a good sense. The tower itself is too bulky and the podium is an absolute disaster in both design and execution. Its mediocrity won't age well at all.

I'm curious how the podium turns out. Seems like an awkward compromise- attempting to harmonize a little more with the adjacent brick building with the reddish paneling... or is that brick veneer? Either way it doesn't work well with the tower or its neighbor.

I like the B+W pattern. Why do visuals have to 'work well' with the neighbours? Where does it say the panels are attempting to work with the neighbouring building?

The black and white colour block pattern is just plain awful. It's a building and not a Koothrappali sweater. Everyday I pray to the Grand Architect to cause a great flood here.

I actually like that mainly because everything getting built in this city is grey. Black and white is always striking look. Not my fave design but if the materials are good it won't look too bad. My expectations are low though.

This is why I'm not down on it like some people are. Such a difference from what's going up/is up

Another pet peeve of mine. Different is not an attribute unless it's actually good.

Personally, I don't see how this is such a difference from what's going up elsewhere in Toronto. It's a box with patterned balconies.

I like the B+W pattern. Why do visuals have to 'work well' with the neighbours? Where does it say the panels are attempting to work with the neighbouring building?

Well architecture isn't typically designed in a vacuum. Architects take into account the buildings around their project and often the character of the neighbourhood itself. In this case it seems obvious to me the warm tones of terracotta on the base were chosen for some semblance of continuity with its old brick neighbour. If it were yellow brick they may have chosen a more ochre coloured panel. These attempts at harmony don't always work well. On the other hand in streetscapes where there is already a lot of similarity in built form, or frankly is just uninteresting, a jolting contrast can be a refreshing change.

Last edited:
From 700 am today.
IMG_8534.jpg
IMG_8535.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8534.jpg
    IMG_8534.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 368
  • IMG_8535.jpg
    IMG_8535.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 339

Back