Toronto X2 Condominiums | 160.93m | 49s | Lifetime | Wallman Architects

Today:

10577255333_d0e4520168_b.jpg

I especially like the two storey high window wall on the 8th floor. X1 was great, the subtle changes in design to X2 make this one even better.

I love the circular shaped white building in the photo above. It reminds me of the Capitol Records building in L.A.

I love the circular shaped white building in the photo above. It reminds me of the Capitol Records building in L.A.

It's known as Vaseline Towers.

Hopefully the exposed concrete cap on the podium is not the final condition?

Which certainly never showed in any of the renderings:

They won't leave the concrete exposed. It would be amateurish to do a Miesian building clad in I beams but with its actual concrete frame exposed. It's like those Neo-Gothic cathedrals of the early 20th century: there's stone masonry on the exterior, but in reality they have a steel or concrete frame holding it up that no one will ever see--unlike the Medieval originals. It's the perfect trick if you hide that concrete frame completely behind your 'retro' facade. If you do it right, no one will ever care.

Last edited:
Hopefully the exposed concrete cap on the podium is not the final condition?

The roof of the podium will be an amenity space, so yes, there will be at least a glass parapet, if not a full-floor glazed wall.

They won't leave the concrete exposed. It would be amateurish to do a Miesian building clad in I beams but with its actual concrete frame exposed.

I agree it would be amateurish, but one would think that the upper level of windows would have extended upwards to cover it already. Unless the glass railing for the amenity level has an integral cap below, what we see, might unfortunately be what we get. In any case, the thin line of the roof slab in the rendering was always an impossibility given the thickness of the roof garden assembly (paving stones, insulation, roof drains, etc.). Why would Wallman even render it that way instead of dealing with the design issue upfront? (I think we already know the answer).

another pic taken on Nov 2, 2013

IMG_20131102_165257.jpg

IMG_20131102_170847.jpg

North side of X2 taken on Nov 2, 2013

Attachments

• IMG_20131102_165257.jpg
    IMG_20131102_165257.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_20131102_170847.jpg
    IMG_20131102_170847.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 411
Last edited by a moderator:
The shorter Four Seasons tower does not have exposed concrete; the mechanical penthouse is clad with an aluminum or composite cladding system.

Also, exposed concrete is one thing, but an exposed slab edge is another; you don't (and legally cannot) just leave a slab's end exposed.

Back