Toronto X2 Condominiums | 160.93m | 49s | Lifetime | Wallman Architects

Great Pics...they are flying on the digging. Lots of shoring work here which is why it looks like they come and go from the site in spurts...

I was at the site last week and spoke to a worker there. He mentioned that dump trucks make about 5 trips daily from the site to somewhere up north (probably Newmarket - he wasn`t too sure).

Last week, the western portion of the site was down to 3 parking levels. It seems now they are catching up on all other sides. They are going down 6.5 parking levels, so there is still quite a bit of digging left.

First sight of activity at X2 was around August 17th/2010 (LIONS Demolition)
at around November 11th/2010 (Soil samples were being taken)
at around February 18th/2011 (ANCHOR was on site officially pile driving/shoring)

First sight of activity at Hullmark was around August 15th/2010 (Pro Green Demolition)
at around October 27th/2010 (Tridelwebmaster reports excavation - so early October I'm figuring excavation officially began)

First sight of activity at U Condos was around December 4th/2010 (ANCHOR crane and Michael Bros on site) - no demo needed on this site.
at around December 16th/2010 (Michael Bros was moving dirt around)

So Hullmark did not break ground after U. U's official "groundbreaking" was around October of 2010. But they didn't start anything until December of 2010. Excavation at Hullmark was around October of 2010.

Michael Bros is not at U -- machines look like the same colours but just noticed the name is different.

September 22nd from Jarvis Street, facing west

Here's a short clip of the X2 construction site. This is what excavating sounds like. This goes on pretty much all day, so if you have your windows open and work at home - you could very well go insane :).

x2-vid.jpg

[video]http://www.candidbling.com/X2_CONSTRUCTION_NOISE.flv[/video]

Last edited:
The ones who are affected the most by that would be the shift workers -- imagine working all night and coming home, only to hear this all day while you are trying to sleep.

thats life in the big city for you... at some point all the neighbouring construction sites will have their work completed and all will be well with the world! you gotta be patient and think long term.

Many start early, like 7 or 7:30am so it's an unpleasant wake-up call plus once the cement begins to be poured the trucks arrive even earlier. The good thing is it's only six or eight months of really bad noise, after that it gets better. Life in the city.

I have two questions which I hope someone can answer.

1. Have they already reached the bottom of the pit or are there still more digging/excavation required?

2. Since the ramp that leads to the street level is already gone, how are they suppose to bring out the machinery and all the dirt/soil that is still left?

thanks.

1) The west end of the pit (the deepest part) is at least half done, probably more. The 2008 Staff Report indicated 340 resident parking spaces on five levels of underground parking, before the five floor height increase so there might possibly be another level now.
2) They lift (hoist) the machinery out when excavation is complete.

I think they are going down 6 to 7 levels. A few months back I spoke to someone on site and they mentioned 6 1/2.

A few days ago I figured they hit ground on the West end, as I saw a stone slinger launching gravel into the pit. But judging from the photos, they still have a ways to go.

I took this picture when shooting some Liberty Place projects - it shows how they get the dirt out once the ramp is gone.

LIBERTY-PARK-06-11-2011-3.jpg

Back