Toronto X The Condominium | ?m | 44s | Great Gulf | a—A

Liked it? How so?

Well for one thing, its black, nothwithstanding the few dashes of colour. This reminds me of the meeting Mies had with the President of the TD Bank during the design of the TD Centre. The President retorted "But it's black!" Mies calmly responded: "Black is a noble colour." I also think that X is well proportioned, something Mies was a stickler about.

Well for one thing, its black, nothwithstanding the few dashes of colour. This reminds me of the meeting Mies had with the President of the TD Bank during the design of the TD Centre. The President retorted "But it's black!" Mies calmly responded: "Black is a noble colour." I also think that X is well proportioned, something Mies was a stickler about.

I still disagree. Though Mies preferred black for many of his later buildings, his fundamental belief lied not in applied color, but fastidious attention to material use. X's 'Mesian' aesthetic is derived from the panels which adorn the exterior, not the use of steel in the building. X is therefore is far guiltier of Loos' 'crime of ornament' than the hokey, historicism which Mies rallied against for much of his career.

I'd bet money that he doesn't care...

All the more reason why it really doesn't matter what we think Mies would have thought about this building.

This building is a great building, and should not be compared to his in such ways. We're lucky to be getting such a beautiful building added to the city.

Thanks for posting all the great pictures everyone. Nice to see SO MUCH positive feedback on this building!

This condo really is looking amazing. They have started to lay the exterior brick for the town home section. It is a grey brick like the Casa parking garage. Looks sharp. I am sure they have a lot of pressure for this building to look great because it will directly affect the sales of X-phase 2 across the street.

Can't wait for the cladding to go up a few more floors. Sales centre told me the building is expected to top-off by end-of-year and the sales centre for phase 2 will begin in the Spring.

Back