Toronto X The Condominium | ?m | 44s | Great Gulf | a—A

Thrones don't come cheap.

About ten years ago I saw a couple of beat up white leather Barcelona chairs in that junkshop/warehouse that ( used to be? ) on the south side of the Danforth east of Main. I can't imagine he was asking much for them.

Why should a Barcelona chair cost five grand? Wasn't the Modernist premise to build high quality goods in the new aesthetic for a reasonable price?

You're absolutely correct about the Modernist premise, but it's been absconded with by companies like Design Within Reach who claim to only sell certified originals and yes, their price is around $5000/chair. That being said, even Canadian Tire sells a passable knockoff for about $600 and I bought one on Craigslist (originally from UpCountry) for about $450 a few years back. Hell, if you really like them, you can get them for about $95/piece by buying them from any number of Chinese suppliers. You just have to have a couple hundred friends who also want one! ;-)

Is it too late to adapt Lewis.Tsurumaki.Lewis' Mies-on-a-beam speculative project to the reality of X condo?

Say it isn't, Gary!

http://archidose.blogspot.com/2006/05/mies-on-beam.html

Alas, U.S., why introduce utilitarianism into the platonic world of the Miesian ideal?

Essential reading on the subject can be found in the book American Buildings and Their Architects: The Impact of European Modernism in the Mid-Twentieth Century,written by William H. Jordy in 1976. Chapter IV is titled "The Laconic Splendour of the Metal Frame: Ludwig Mies van der Rohe's 860 Lake Shore Apartments and his Seagram Building". Within it, Mies is quoted about the exterior I-beams on 860:

"Questioned at the time of the building's completion about the welding of the largely unessential I's to the outer face of the structural columns, Mies replied, "Now, first, I am going to tell you the real reason, and then I am going to tell you a good reason by itself.
"It was very important to preserve and extend the rythym which the mullions set up on the rest of the building. We looked at it on the model without the steel section attached to the column and it did not look right. Now, the other reason is that this steel section was needed to stiffen the plate which covers the corner column so this plate would not ripple, and also we needed it for strength when the sections were hoisted into place. Now, of course, that's a very good, but the other reason is the real reason." Architectural Forum, November 1952, p.99.

Jordy goes on to write:

"Because these modern artifacts [the I-beams] articulate the walls of the Chicago towers much as pilasters articulated a classical or Renaissance wall, they simultaneously reinvigorate the whole of the great classicizing tradition for present use. The old stability fuses with the new dynamics; the essence of historical prinicple with the new functionalism." p.243

I've always been partial to the wassily chair. One day I'll pull the trigger.

113531665_a6d608c301.jpg

All the concrete pillars have been painted black. It is matte and exactly matches the rest of the building. Those of you that feared the nasty, stucco-like cladding can all rest easy.

Thank God. I was fearing that stucco I saw in a photo before and couldn't believe my eyes.

From today..

Well, I suppose I've stalked long enough...Time to contribute something.
X Condo with neighbours: James Cooper Mansion, Verve, 500 Sherbourne, Marriot, St. Jamestown, etc.
Apologies for the quality, taken with my Blackberry through a very dirty window...

Attachments

• XCondo and neighbours.jpg
    XCondo and neighbours.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 260
Yup - thanks for all of your contributions DarkSide - looking forward to more of them!

Photos i took today (july 22 2010)

X Condo,

4819465683_3728dab711_b.jpg

4819467865_df9defe553_b.jpg

All photos by me: steveve :D

***can someone tell me what condo tower is under construction to the right of X condo?

July 22nd Update

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

I'm disappointed in the material used to cover the pillars, perhaps this is only prep work?

The east side of the building where the construction elevators were, nearly complete

The towns from Charles Street with newly planted trees out front and the pool/lounge area from above. There's one hell of a constant loud noise that sounds like it's coming from the ventilation system on the north side of X, the neighbours must be pissed (I know my friend who faces there sure is).

Last edited:

Back