Markham World on Yonge | ?m | 31s | Liberty Development | Kirkor Architects

Why the heck would anyone want to build a hotel in this area? I live within walking distance of this development and I can say quite clearly there's nothing here to visit that would require a hotel, nor is this location anywhere near any major highways or transportation hubs, nor are there any office buildings or office parks that visiting business people would stay in either.

I guess maybe people who are visiting their suburban relatives who don't want them staying in their homes and want easy access to Centrepoint would live here?

There is an ad for this in the latest (aug 03-31) Condo Guide, with a new rendering....page 48

"coming soon"

doesn't look too bad for Kirkor...twin towers with a large podium/atrium joining, plus a standalone office tower/hotel..

website remains the same www.worldonyonge.ca

btw, for anyone interested, they're reusing the former wendy's building as their sales office.

I got a call from Liberty Developments (cuz I 'registered'), they expect the sales office to be open in 2-3 month's time

worldonyongecondoguidea.jpg

I dont mind the twin towers with the sloping rooflines and curved faces but that stacked box (mixed use?) thing is hideous!

I really like the elliptical shaped twin towers and am personally looking forward to it ~ but I don't like Liberty either

In regards to the square mixed use (retail, office, hotel) tower, the design is very average, but not really horrific ... it sort of reminds me of the 'new' (Canada Life?) office building at Queen and Simcoe with the Starbucks on the ground floor

The experience of scrolling down the page and seeing all the blue glass come to a screeching halt at a precast podium was...well, worth the scroll. Though this precast doesn't match the renderings posted in June, so who knows what's really going on. (edit - seems the renderings posted in June were actually from February, so I guess the recent ad is the more recent design...precast it is!)

It's just funny how dated and decade-old this complex looks...are the renderings even Y2K compatible?

The office tower looks so very small, as if the condos' amenity complex will have more square footage. It'll probably be a mistake to break up the retail frontage along Yonge, even if it's getting broken up with a park connection (perhaps that area will be lined with patios and benches, but perhaps not, in which case it'll be a windswept walkway that competes with other access points to the 'big box' retail behind). The two parkettes should also be combined into one park.

Last edited:
I really like the elliptical shaped twin towers and am personally looking forward to it ~ but I don't like Liberty either

In regards to the square mixed use (retail, office, hotel) tower, the design is very average, but not really horrific ... it sort of reminds me of the 'new' (Canada Life?) office building at Queen and Simcoe with the Starbucks on the ground floor

I believe the building to which you are referring is 180 Queen by KPMB.

the two projects are similar in some ways but not the same

Ellipse is more similar to Meridian (Yonge/Finch) being ellipitically shaped on one half and rectangular on the other half ... and Ellipse's twin towers are sited in a straight line

whereas in the WoY design, the twin towers are elliptical all around with the rounded ends 'chopped off', and the two towers are arranged in a 'V' configuration which provided added dimension to the towers

Liberty_Yonge_siteplan_new.jpg

Back