Markham World on Yonge | ?m | 31s | Liberty Development | Kirkor Architects

The site plan is kind of awkward, but it's crammed in between a highway and cemetary, so it is totally isolated.

"With all this intensification proposed on Yonge St north of Steeles, why not extend the subway to Steeles?"

You mean to north of Steeles.

For some nagging reason, I'm not quite convinced of the "will make it over-capacity" issue. It's not like taking it north a few km will suddenly make everyone in Woodbridge or Markham or Richmond Hill switch to it since YRT would have to improve commensurately..they might but there's no guarantee. People are free to make their way down to Finch no matter what, and if they keep adding residential units north of Finch - or anywhere north of Bloor, really - it will reach capacity anyway, in which case we might as well replace those 12 million daily buses on Yonge with a subway and shave a chunk of travel time off commutes...which would then spur more transit ridership...which would...oops.

If GO was properly resourced who would want to use the Yonge line? But it's not, so...

"If GO was properly resourced who would want to use the Yonge line?"

Lots of people...GO can only do so much unless they drive about 10 more lines through the city. Blue22 backlash in Weston X magnitude of 100 = this will never happen. But yeah, the people living in this new complex would immensely benefit from real service at Langstaff GO.

The subway will always be more practical than the GO train in this part of town. For one, there are a number of large employment nodes along the Yonge subway inaccessible by GO. But for another, the Richmond Hill line is by far the slowest GO line, and you'd get downtown faster from Langstaff subway station than Langstaff GO station. Not only that, but the price would be 50% less, and there would be no transfers.

"you'd get downtown faster from Langstaff subway station than Langstaff GO station."

I've never taken that GO line - how long does it really take from Langstaff to Union?

I've never taken that GO line - how long does it really take from Langstaff to Union?

Check GO's website, their travel times listed are more or less accurate.

I know what GO claims, I was wondering how long it really takes. "More or less" is a big deal when you're comparing it with a subway of similar duration - even a few minutes one way or the other would mean the difference between lots of people taking GO and absolutely no one taking it.

Anyway, tons of people will be moving there for the good road access of Yonge/7/407.

That second proposal has so many buildings with 8 floors, floor counts with numbers that either have 8s in them or are multiples of 8 (lucky to the Chinese) . This must be a Chinese developer proposing this! (the linked page says the developer is called Mark Tan, a very Chinese sounding name)
I always find this amusing. As if renaming the 4th (or 13th) floor of a building another number in order to keep the bad scorcery away would work, you (and "they") would still know you're on the 4th floor and smite you accordingly.

I wonder if people have ever designed buildings or projects to purposesly keep certain groups away? Like, if some developer in Markham wanted to discourage guailos out by keeping the #13 floor, or a developer in the Beaches intentionally de-feng shui'ing a place by making sure you can see out the back door from the front door, making sure you can see the bathroom from the kitchen, etc. We could even call it architectural discrimination. Oh, I can see the rights advocates thinking this one over as we speak.... :)

Just a bit of fun. Have a great weekend everyone.

Anyway, tons of people will be moving there for the good road access of Yonge/7/407.

I didn't realise virtual all-day gridlock (already now!) was considered good road access.

I wouldn't call traffic around there all-day gridlock.

Yonge from 7 to Major Mac is pretty close to all day gridlock.

I know what GO claims, I was wondering how long it really takes. "More or less" is a big deal when you're comparing it with a subway of similar duration - even a few minutes one way or the other would mean the difference between lots of people taking GO and absolutely no one taking it.

In terms of travel times, the train times are most accurate, followed by non-rush bus trips, based on my experience on the GO out of Erindale. Rush hour bus trips after the trains have ended for the day are painfully slow, because really, rush hour isn't over yet.

For example, I often took the 8:20 train out of Erindale, which is scheduled to arrive into Union at 8:52. I found I'd arrive in the concourse before 9 am. I don't think approximately 5 minutes behind schedule to be a big deal.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

"I don't think approximately 5 minutes behind schedule to be a big deal."

Of course 5 minutes is a huge deal when the subway trip would be a similar length - and half the price. I was wondering what the real trip times are on the Richmond Hill line, anyway.

Travel times:

Langstaff to Union: 34 minutes
Additional cushion so you don't miss the train: 6 minutes
Walk from platform to King and Bay: 15 minutes

Total trip time by GO: 55 minutes

Finch to King: 25 minutes
6 km from Langstaff to Finch: 10 minutes (estimate)
King station to King and Bay: 5 minutes

Total trip time by subway: 40 minutes

"Finch to King: 25 minutes"

That's a rather ambitious time.

Also, if Langstaff station is north of the 407, there's a walk + wait to consider that cancels out the 6 minute GO buffer.

Back