Toronto Worklofts + Flatiron Lofts in the Film District | ?m | 11s | Lamb Dev Corp | Core Architects

Re: my City Place comment. I wasn't referring to the form (highrises) but rather to the vastness of the Dundas-Gerrard/Carlaw-Logan area and the many dreary parking lots, lowrise crappy buildings etc that could be redeveloped into higher density residential.

I much prefer what Brad Lamb is doing in this area to the blandness that is C.P.

Many of those "lowrise crappy buildings" are filled with studios and other unusual uses that couldn't be replicated in modern condo towers.

Ten or fifteen years ago, at the beginning of the transition from factory use, several of the Carlaw buildings contained studios for a network of photographers, artists and designers. But gentrification - the conversion of these buildings to condos - has meant that many of these people now work elsewhere.

I could understand developing those parking lots into something but the demolition of these buildings on Carlaw into condos is stupid and won't happen. Those "crappy" buildings give the street some character on the streetscape level. Now if they managed to develop the sites in a way that preserves the outer brick of the existing buildings and adhered to zoning bylaws and such...I'd probaly be living in a utopia.

Reminds me of this :

30-Canon-St_300w.jpg

The former Credit Lyonnais Bank building in London, just sold for 35 million quid...
I love that building. It reminds me of a ship. Every time my gf and I use to pass it on the bus we use to make Ship 'honks'. Unfortunately, I very much doubt that we would see anything with such detail and quality in a TO condo anytime soon, if ever. I'd like to be proven wrong though.

Why would anyone care about shadows on Carlaw?

Have you seen the shadow studies? These buildings, if allowed to go over the zoned height, will keep carlaw in almost constant shadow, and shadow the homes on Boston Ave.
If the respect the community and zoning regulations, it will be a welcomed addition to the neighbourhood.

This whole 'gotta watch out for the shadows' thing mystifies me at the best of times, but why would anyone care if the road is shadowed?

Two well-designed live/work buildings built where a crappy gas station and a derelict building used to sit has got to be a huge plus!

I reiterate... why do you care about shadows on Carlaw?

No-one cares about the road, they care about the buildings along the side of the road...did you really need that to be explained to you?

>> Have you ever driven/walked/crawled through the corner of Dundas & Carlaw? There's NO YARDS. No houses. No decks (except the patio in front of the bar on the SW corner, which will get tons of light on summer afternoons.)

Shadowing someones back yard doesn't make it very enjoyable in the summer...again, do you really need this to be spelled out for you?

I guess some people like living in a 'fog'.

>> An 8-11 story building built on the SE corner of Dundas & Carlaw has ZERO chance of shadowing any backyard -- even the people on Boston wouldn't have a backyard in shadow from anything except their own house. The people on Filmic don't have yards, and their decks are at the back.

>> Why you don't like these buildings is beyond me, but cut the crap about shadows. Because that can't be your real reason.

Shadow Studies -- link?

Why talk out of your ass, since you obviously haven't seen the shadow studies?

Why don't you just cut the crap...you add nothing to the forum.

Given that I've only posted twice, that seems a little early... and a little harsh. Can you link the shadow studies? I live a 5 minute walk from Dundas & Carlaw. I take the 72 to work every day. Where/when will shadows bother anyone? I'm betting you either (a) live on Boston, and would rather have a crappy fence and a parking lot than the possibility of a big building across the street or (b) have one of the north-facing lofts in the Wrigley and you're more pissed about losing your view than any 'shadowing'. Because unless/until you can show me a shadow study which blots out the sun in a backyard on Boston, these buildings are an unvarnished WIN for the 'hood.

My wife thought seriously about buying one of the live/work lofts for her biz, but she really feels she needs a storefront, so gave it a pass. I hope there's lots of small biz/consultants/etc. that move into these buildings -- it would really revitalize that corner!

No-one cares about the road, they care about the buildings along the side of the road...did you really need that to be explained to you?

Shadowing someones back yard doesn't make it very enjoyable in the summer...again, do you really need this to be spelled out for you?

I guess some people like living in a 'fog'.

To note the two new buildings will not even extend as far as the currrent parking lot. This particular one in question will only occupy the lands where the gas station is. The developer want's to build townhouses on the parking lot - direct from Brad's mouth. So, I highly doubt a 14 story building that far away from Boston St. is going to impact your backyard.

Do you know where my 'backyard' is?

Don't assume.....

Well, I live right there and am very familiar with Boston Ave. So, if you are referring to your back in a figurative sense (NIMBY) then true I have no idea. All I am saying is if your backyard is on Boston Ave then you will not be affected by any shadow.

Well you might be affected by a Shadow--a Dodge Shadow that is.

Shadows are good--they protect you from skin cancer!

I have a Dodge Shadow convertible, so at times it does not protect me from skin cancer (although manual roofs suck so I'm less inclined to drop the top).

Back