Toronto Widdicombe & Eglinton Condos | ?m | 3s | Cityzen | TACT Architecture

They are very nice and thankfully modern, but Eglinton MUST have retail at grade.

This isn't exactly a high pedestrian traffic area, and putting retail along Eglinton for this short stretch is not likely to change that.

This isn't exactly a high pedestrian traffic area, and putting retail along Eglinton for this short stretch is not likely to change that.

Maybe it's not a high pedestrian area right now but what about the future? We need to not only think about today but what direction we want to go in the future. It should at least be work/live lofts, so when the density goes up, it can be redesigned for retail. All major streets should be zoned for either retail or work/live spaces, so we don't limit our future options. The plan should be to increase density on all major streets and line them with beautiful retail spaces or some other public uses.

I contend that not every single inch of frontage on our main streets should be zoned for retail, or realistically can be anyway for the foreseeable future. In this area where the Crosstown LRT will someday travel it makes sense to zone for retail around where the stations will be expected, and it's possible that there will be a stop at Widdicombe, (I don't think there should be one there: too many stations will slow the service down too much), but the stops are guaranteed at Martin Grove and Kipling: the intersecting arterials. You want the new retail to survive, so you do it where it will get the highest traffic, and that's not everywhere.

I hope the new LCBO across from the Widdicombe and Eglinton project in question is more than just an LCBO(ie more retail) and not just a liquor store and parking. I fear I will be disappointed. I also hope they give us a nice, modern, not one storey building.

They cut a tree(big-ish, not that pretty, but still) without a permit. Councillor says she is going to go after them with my prodding. Not sure what she can do. There should be fines and they should be large enough to deter.

Eglinton West of the Humber is anything but urban, its great for driving or biking/walking along the manicured trail but that's about it. When the Crosstown is finally built though here then we can start talking about it becoming more urban. There's more than enough vacant, tower in the park, land abutting the street for future retail/residential urbanization.

As for the marketing of these townhouses, cant they just be honest and say "if you have a car and you like open spaces, your golden" ? Transit is pretty rubbish, most days i wait at least 20 minutes for the 32 bus. The parks however are quite good.

Anyways, buyer beware!

Now's the time to start making Eglinton urban if we know that the LRT will eventually go through here. Even if people won't live a full car-free lifestyle upon completion, they'll still be able to walk for groceries, coffee and other needs. A subdivision of townhouses without mixed-use buildings fronting onto Eglinton isn't a step in the right direction.

Forget it, its land of the car over there. Lived not far from there growing up and urbanization is only wishful thinking. Look at Humbertown that is close by, the people favor large concrete parking lots (for their large cars) rather than urbanizing the area. Wishful thinking, and that entire stretch has room for it.

Well let's give it a chance see what happens. There are two developments occurring. And the parcel in front of Richview Plaza is for sale as well. The City wants to stay in the deal and direct it to retirement residences partly. I think that could be this area's Humbertown development. Will take years no doubt. But that is where the good retail should go. Not strung out along Eglinton. Nobody can make it along there. Oh, and the cars are about the same size as everywhere else as far as I can see. Not many town cars left. (most have crashed into storefronts).

Letting it urbanize will keep the area vital into the future. Homebuyers are losing interest in decaying inner suburban areas that aren't evolving. Many neighbourhoods in Etobicoke and Scarborough aren't seeing particularly strong growth in property values as they age.

And always remember: Eglinton's existing "non-urbanity" is the result of its past as a designated expressway corridor...

Back