Toronto Wexford Heights | 41.65m | 12s | UPRC | KPMB

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
New into the AIC is this application for current site of Wexford Heights United Church.

Lets start with somewhat odd description:

1646214896123.png

As you can see, right off the bat, the description gives a height range and unit count range which is certainly a bit different.

Additionally, not mentioned above, is that this parcel is the home of a historically designated church (different building) and a cemetery.

Aerial Pic:

1646215232171.png

Site Size: ~3900m2/ 42000ft2

The heritage building in the above image is the smaller building fronting Lawrence which I assume will remain intact along w/the cemetery. I, therefore presume we're looking at something, essentially on the western 1/2 of this site (left of image)

Below, Streetview:

1646215475645.png

Above is an image of the site looking eastward off Ellington, the newer building in the foreground, the heritage building in the background with Lawrence Avenue East on the south (right)

1646215585223.png

Above is the southern elevation of the site, from Lawrence Avenue East, the Heritage building is in the foreground of our picture, the cemetery to the east/right, and the newer building to the rear/north-west.

Last edited:
...really like the rapid pace of these UPRC projects...

UT article summary:

The United Church also has many suburban properties, mostly congregations that were created in the years after the Second World War. One of these, Wexford Heights United in the former Toronto borough of Scarborough, is another Kindred Works project.

Here KPMB has designed an 11-storey apartment building with a gabled roof and two rows of townhouses, while planning to keep the oldest portion of the church building intact. “We’re taking different approaches to different sites,” said David Constable, a principal at KPMB. “And thinking about the entire portfolio allows us to explore different options for approaches to space, to materials, to pursue lower carbon in the building components.”

The approach of Kindred Works to real estate development, pursuing some degree of profit while serving the mandate of a charitable organization, is complex. Markee Developments, where former Toronto chief planner Jennifer Keesmaat is a partner, is one peer organization.

Mr. Blair suggested that having the United Church continue to own its facilities presents opportunities for economic integration and for a mix of activities that for-profit development cannot provide.

Let me bring a couple of @HousingNowTO 's photos of those 'concerns' forward.

1658159627840.png

1658159666515.png

Now, let me offer this:

Nonsense!

The property fronts Lawrence, not a 'residential neighbourhood'. The parking count is entirely reasonable, given the stated purpose of the housing, irrespective of one's lifestyle or pro-car/transit take.

I also confess that 'it doesn't fit'; seeing as the phrase isn't clearly tied to the height reads very much as a bias against affordable housing, and the requisite classism/bigotry associated therewith.

I'm more tolerant than many here of selfish neighbourhood objections such as 'overlook/privacy' or 'shadowing' or the like. I think the objections need to be vaguely reasonable; and even if they are; they shouldn't
necessarily be accommodated......but I can understand raising them.

A thoughtful objection here suggesting a slightly shorter height, with evidence as to what benefit that would deliver would be worth listening to; though perhaps ultimately ignoring.....

But this is just utter @#$@

Back