Toronto West Village Etobicoke | ?m | 31s | Tridel | Rafael + Bigauskas

from Urbanation's twitter page:

RT @winsonchan: TRIDEL West Village VIP Brokers' event tomorrow 12 pm.
6 Eva Road. 427 and Eva. Please join us !

about 4 hours ago via web (March 8, 2010)

So whats the consensus? Good? Bad?

The renderings look really nice.

Also, tridelwebmaster, thought I would point out that the area map on the web page for West Village does not load up.

As an Art Deco inspired tower, it's restrained with decent setbacks and proportions overall. The precast facade unconvincingly suggests stone. One thing I admire of these towers is that you rarely encounter one with a cheap looking mechanical structure on the roof. I'd like to see a tower in this style with a brick facade, using different colours for accentuation, like in the 1930s. (Although, I wouldn't mind seeing this style die off either.)

For Etobicoke standards? It's acceptable. For downtown? It's crap.

At least, that's clearly how Tridel feels about things.

from http://www.tridel.com/west-village/register_t2.php:

West Village Tower One has been an outstanding success! Tridel is now preparing to release Tower Two, offering more of the most sought-after suite designs from Tower One. Be among the very first to preview and purchase a 1 Bedroom, 1 Bedroom + den or select from a wide array 2 Bedroom Suites.​

Updated Masterplan showing the location of the second phase Tower Two:

wv_masterplan900.jpg

While I totally support intensification in an already semi-dense neighbourhood, I really have to wonder about the prices of some of the units in this development.
Just browsing the website, unit 2C in the "west village collection" is a 2 bed, 815 sq ft starting @ $356k. Works out to $437/sq ft. A little high for me, but not ridiculous. It's on the 10th floor with north and west exposure.
But it all goes awry when you look at the larger units.
Units 2F+D, 2H & 2G are all $486/sq ft. All are above $400K & unit 2H is pushing half a million. For this location? Seriously? I know Tridel is a reputable builder and the finishes are sure to be of good quaility, and yes the market is hot right now... but come on.

If you scroll down a bit on the very same Etobicoke page of Tridel's website you'll see the following:
Nuvo2 at Essex Signature Collection. Unit S2, 2 bed+den, 1518 sq ft, starting at $528K.
That works out to $348/sq ft. $138/sq ft cheaper than West Village. And you can move in today. And you're right next to the subway and more amenities on Dundas and Bloor Streets than there are on the 427 or The West Mall. And you're on a slightly higher floor (26th facing S/W). And the maintenance fees work out to be approximately $0.07/sq ft cheaper than at West Village. And you don't have to live next to a highway in a somewhat questionable location. Sure it's only a handful of units in a building thats been up for a few years compared to an entirely new development, but I'm sure you can see my point.

Now I ask urbantoronto, which would you rather buy? I'm sure you can tell that I am in the Nuvo2 at Essex camp. Resale will probably be much better there than at West Village as well. Also a much more established neighbourhood.
Like I said before, I'm all for Tridel developing this location, but I wouldn't pay this kind of money for this location. You could buy like 3 units at Sell-Off Condo/Holiday Towers up the road for the same price (sarcasm, sort of). I'm not sure what Valhalla is going for across the way, but it's likely to be cheaper as well.
See for yourself. http://www.tridel.com/etobicoke.php

You're paying for Tridel thinking prices will appreciate. I honestly don't know why anyone would want to live next to a busy freeway with all the smog, dust and pollution that it brings, not to mention the constant noise. I'd rather live next to a subway line or a main street with shops and retail than a highway. I guess the market is that crazy, that people are buying anything the developer sells them.

Back