Toronto West Don Lands: Block 13 | 139.31m | 43s | Dream | Henriquez Partners

If you think DREAM had any intentions to build that earlier iteration — especially during the current circumstances of the market and the cost of borrowing — you are smoking something strong that I would really like to get in on.

I don’t think anyone thought that version would actually happen - it seems to me that the main source of disappointment is the brick colour selection went from something bold and warm to very bland and contextual.

A really easy solve would be choosing two new brick colours for the charcoal and grey areas respectively.

I’d love to see a bright red and buff brick, maybe a brown and beige, I don’t really care all that much - at the end of the day I just want something that feels a little less sterile and more warm. The area has way too much black white and grey already.

for reference, even though theatre district is kind of a stinker beyond the podium, the combination of the orange multi and the burgundy brick is really well chosen - it’s warm and registers as masonry up close and from far away (I find dark brick best used at grade where you can appreciate the subtle nuances of colour and texture which is lost at a distance)

IMG_5457.jpeg

I also think we need to dispel the idea that towers need to be light (white and grey) to reduce their visual presence and mass. The result is unsuccessful at best and ugly at worst. I would wager a decent amount that if you polled the public people would agree that more variety, colour, texture and warmth on towers would be a welcome change.

I also think we need to dispel the idea that towers need to be light (white and grey) to reduce their visual presence and mass.

It suggests they don't think buildings are attractive objects (very strange mindset to begin with) and/or what they're building is unappealing to the point it must be made invisible (impossible so why even attempt it).

Back