News   Jul 19, 2024
 917     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 3.9K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.2K     4 

Toronto West Courthouse (Dundas e of Kipling, 8s)

From that application, it's not THAT bad. Of course, it would've been better to move the Etobicoke Civic Centre to that building, so there's more floors. Only one floor will take up the entire floor-plate, and the rest will be set back into a mid-rise.

Excellent news - construction of this building will simultaneously include the re-alignment of Dundas as the first phase of the elimination of the dreaded Six-Points interchange, plus all the parking will be underground. Win win.

If the city really wants to show serious foresight though, they'll make sure the new Dundas alignment is wide enough to accomodate an LRT ROW...

Last edited:
hmmm eight floors are better than two so I am assuming they slimmed it down slightly, but hard to tell. I wonder if this is more massing than actual final design. Hard to tell.

Yup, it's just massing at this point. The report calls for the design and construction to be handled through a PPP it seems, so all of the details are to come once a consortium is selected. Let's hope that if we do get a curved building along here, that we get some seriously good architecture: the massing suggests a retro-60s modernism to me...

From that application, it's not THAT bad. Of course, it would've been better to move the Etobicoke Civic Centre to that building, so there's more floors. Only one floor will take up the entire floor-plate, and the rest will be set back into a mid-rise.

Islington and Bloor might be a better spot for the new civic centre anyway, once the bus terminal is demolished.

Daily Commercial News

June 17, 2009

RFP issued for Toronto courthouse

DCN News Services
TORONTO

The new Toronto West Courthouse project is moving forward with the release of a request for proposals (RFP) to select an architectural firm to lead the planning, design and compliance aspects of the project.

The planning, design and compliance team will further develop the site master plan and prepare key documents including project specific output specification.

The Toronto West Courthouse will be the first new, purpose built, criminal courthouse facility in the City of Toronto. The new courthouse will provide services to the west end of Toronto. Highlights of the Toronto West Courthouse include:

The project is targeting a LEED silver designation.

The RFP for the planning, design and compliance teamcloses on July 6. It will be build under Infrastructure Ontario’s design-build-finance-maintain model.

Daily Commercial News

did this building shrink from 8s to 2s ??

COURTHOUSE
Proj: 9088372-4
Etobicoke, Metro Toronto Reg ON
CONTEMPLATED
Toronto West Courthouse, Westwood Theatre lands, Bloor St, Dundas W, Kipling Ave, M8Z
$20,000,000 est

Start: 2011

Note: Request For Proposals (RFP) from Architectural firms to lead the planning, design and compliance aspects closed 12:00 July 6, 2009 at the Coordinator. Submissions are under review. An award is anticipated Winter 2009/early 2010. The planning, design and compliance team will further develop the Site Master Plan and prepare key documents including project specific output specification. These documents will form the guidelines and performance requirements within which the successful building team must work when preparing the overall courthouse design. Further update early 2010.

Project: proposed construction of a 20-courtroom Ontario Court of Justice courthouse with two major criminal courts and office space. The project will be developed on City of Toronto owned lands known as the Westwood Theatre Lands (WTL), adjacent to the site followed under report number 9055522. The building will be designed to meet Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) silver standards.

Scope: 2 storeys; 23 acres

Development: New

Category: Defence, law enforcement bldgs; Government offices

First report Wed Aug 20, 2008. Last report Mon Jun 08, 2009.
This report Wed Sep 30, 2009.

http://www.dailycommercialnews.com/cgi-bin/top10.pl?rm=show_top10_project&id=bf7099cce363aec6fa9eb69fa688c4b31ef23c1b&projectid=9088372&region=ontario

Solaris, why do you put any stock in the number of storeys that the Daily Commercial News lists for projects? They have been notorious lately for not being able to count!

Last edited:
Just remember though, it doesn't have to be tall to be good. 2s might be just fine if it's handled with deft.

law1.jpg

PE, where is/what is that 6s building?!

Bordeaux Law Courts by Richard Rogers. Since what we are getting will be nothing even remotely close to this, we'll have to experience it through images...

law4.jpg

14812d1232906543t-mimari-tasar%C4%B1mlar-mimar%C4%B1n-elinden-eskizler-22-bordeaux-law-courts-ter-jpg

Basically, those acorn-style pods suspended in space are the courtrooms with the office space, holding cells and public areas arranged around them. Fantastic piece of architecture from one of the best practitioners.

Wow!

I'll have what they're having!

From the PDF:
3973262268_2726ffe76f_b.jpg

I like option 4 the least, in fact, I think it's really ugly. I like 1 the best.

Back