Toronto Wellesley on the Park | 194.15m | 60s | Lanterra | KPMB

I can understand project will not change its status quo. But I find it hard to believe that it's unrealistic to build a big high rise in this location. When they already have 70 plus storey skyscrapers being approved on Yonge street near subway stations. And this is located near one too with a park being proposed around it. Which makes it a better candidate than any other 70 plus buildings that is being crammed next to another highrise. At least this building will have some breathing space.

It's going to be the height it is because of shadowing and massing issues related to the existing properties to the east: its peak will fit within the angular plane prescribed by the Tall Buildings Guidelines for a 60-storey tall building as if it were proposed for Yonge Street—in other words, the city wants something this tall no closer than this to Yonge, so as to not totally overpower the more intimately scaled buildings on Yonge.

The digging so far, earlier today:

IMG_8515.jpg
IMG_8516.jpg
IMG_8517.jpg
IMG_8518.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8515.jpg
    IMG_8515.jpg
    553.3 KB · Views: 2,073
  • IMG_8516.jpg
    IMG_8516.jpg
    483.9 KB · Views: 2,045
  • IMG_8517.jpg
    IMG_8517.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 2,059
  • IMG_8518.jpg
    IMG_8518.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 2,051
I've been coming to the area for years to for music gear at Saved by Technology, around the corner. The site is indeed huge and it's been a woeful eyesore for a long time. Bring it on.

That is one big hole in the ground. I've been facinated watching it grow in part because some of the shoring along the north side was done decades ago when the building at Bay and Wellesley was built. The old shoring seems to have survived being buried for a couple decades just fine.
I have a question though. A couple weeks ago I watched some very deep pilons get drilled into the site in the area near the shovel in the last photo. The pilons and accompanying cassons were huge and were set very deep. It took three cement trucks to fill just one of the cassons. After the third truck emptied its concrete and the casson sleeves pulled out a bulldozer covered the top of the pilons with earth. I assumed that the concrete would cure underground and the pillons were resting on bedrock and a concrete slab would eventually sit on top (btw, there were several pilons drilled in that area).
To my surprise the pilons seem to have disappeard. I thought they would be visible due to the deep excavation above them (visible in the last photo). Does anyone understand the process here? Can the pilons be so deep that their tops are not visible yet??

Back