Toronto Wellesley on the Park | 194.15m | 60s | Lanterra | KPMB

This is weak, and from someone who thinks a place like Massey Tower is a bad place to add residential, I take all your comments with a bucket of grains of salt.

But I will argue anyway, and hammer this point home, again and again because it cannot be said enough.

There much more to life than the almighty dollar. This is about building a better city with a vision of what downtown will look like 100 years from now.

The city can ill afford a loss of a piece of civic city building (you know, actual urban planning) that involves building a park on the only large piece of empty land in downtown Toronto in a neighbourhood that has added immense density. And it will only become more dense.

Take them as you may. I stand behind my comments- Bay & Wellesley is a prime spot for a high density condo, the Eaton Centre is not. That site is better served for commercial use in my opinion.

Again, there's a massive park a block away from Bay & Wellesley. There are far better places to lobby City Hall to preserve land than this one.

Condo plan altered to include a park

Condo plan altered to include a park
Tara Perkins
The Globe and Mail

A developer that has just beat out a number of rivals to buy a much-coveted piece of land on Wellesley Street West near Yonge Street is now in talks with the city about scaling down its condominium plans to make room for a park.

As a result, Toronto Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam is now confident her long-held desire to see this particular parcel of land become home to some sort of green space, something local residents have also pushed hard for, will be realized.
More Related to this Story

The turn of events comes after Ms. Wong-Tam fought a losing battle last year to persuade Infrastructure Ontario to let the city lease the land and build a park, potentially with an underground parking lot to raise revenues for both governments. Infrastructure Ontario was selling the two-acre-plus site in order to raise money for the province.

“We would have loved to have been able to purchase it from the province, but the province invited the city to bid on the land in competition with developers,” Ms. Wong-Tam said in an interview. “And we were not successful at being creative and creating a new working relationship with the province because they wanted maximum dollar, and there’s just no way the City of Toronto could compete with deep-pocket developers.”

After two rounds of bidding, the site went to Lanterra Developments, whose CEO Barry Fenton says the company paid $65-million, more than original estimates of what the site would go for. Mr. Fenton said that when the company acquired the nearby Sutton Place Hotel on Bay Street, which it is now turning into The Britt Condos, it paid $58-million. “But it came with a building in place and a lot of infrastructure. This site is barren,” he said in an interview. “It’s a lot of money to spend for 21/4 acres of land.”

He added that his understanding is that the province received numerous offers from condo developers, office developers, pension funds and other real estate players.

Now Lanterra is planning to submit an application to the city this week to obtain about 950,000 square feet, enough space for two condo towers. But Mr. Fenton and Ms. Wong-Tam are in talks about doing something different on the site.

“We are in fluid discussions with the city councillor, and the game plan is to see if we can work something out over the next few months that provides more of a park concept with one tower, and that’s something that we would look to do,” Mr. Fenton said.

Ms. Wong-Tam suggested she’s optimistic.

“The province was suggesting to developers that they can develop the site by putting in two to three condominium or office towers,” she said. “Lanterra has been put on notice, and I did tell them that I would expect to see a park as soon as possible.”

The land was once supposed to become home to a ballet and opera house, but governments withdrew the funding for that project in the recession of the early 1990s.

Ms. Wong-Tam said the neighbourhood is one of the most dense parts of the city and there are few remaining opportunities to create park space. “As we lose all the infill sites, opportunities to create new community amenities and new community spaces are lost forever,” she said.

“I believe the end result will be a win-win,” Mr. Fenton said. He expects condos won’t be completed on the site for five or six years, with marketing likely to begin more than a year from now after the zoning application is approved.

He remains a believer in the strength of Toronto’s condo market, despite falling sales across the city and the warnings of economists who suggest the market is overvalued. “I’m spending a lot of money on something when people are telling us every day it’s doom and gloom,” he said.

Last edited:
So potentially one 950,000 sq. ft. condo tower....we could very well be getting a bldg. the height of Aura/1 Bloor here:)

Now Lanterra is planning to submit an application to the city this week to obtain about 950,000 square feet, enough space for two condo towers. But Mr. Fenton and Ms. Wong-Tam are in talks about doing something different on the site.

“We are in fluid discussions with the city councillor, and the game plan is to see if we can work something out over the next few months that provides more of a park concept with one tower, and that’s something that we would look to do,” Mr. Fenton said.

I'm thinking extra height for one tower in exchange for opening of the footprint of the site to more green space. What would 950,000 square feet produce with condo floorplates? ~220 metres?

I'm not sure that the location can handle that kind of density. Yonge/Wellesley always seems to feel congested, not just on the road but even on the sidewalks. Laneway improvements might help a little but I can't even really see how much more they can do to improve things, without tearing down a bunch of buildings.

The garage entrance would almost certainly be off Breadalbane, which is a heavily underused downtown street. I don't see traffic issues unless you have a lot of left turns from there onto Yonge/Bay. I would not be shocked if the city rezoned Breadalbane to a one-way YOnge to Bay as a further precaution.

According to the TBG (tall building guidelines) all vehicle entrances must be located in alleyways if there is one. Which really is just basic common sense.

Last weekend I spent half an hour observing the site and the traffic flow for my current NimbyTect concept. Overall it's very quiet and pedestrians rush past because both the YMCA side and the north side of Wellesley is so windswept and hideous. Both streets need to be "calmed" via extensive green canopies and perhaps narrowing to 2 lanes.

Last edited:
I'm thinking extra height for one tower in exchange for opening of the footprint of the site to more green space. What would 950,000 square feet produce with condo floorplates? ~220 metres?

950,000sf = approx 87,000sm / 750sm (largest allowable residential tower floorplate) = 117 storeys.

Subtract 5 podium floors at 2000sm each = approx. 77,000sm / 750sm = 102 storeys.

I doubt they're entertaining anything over 80-90 storeys but their target GFA is certainly aiming towards something around there.

Not sure they would use St. Luke Lane as teh entrance, especially since teh Opera property to teh west already has a good roundabout driveway that mgiht be leveraged through some sort of agreement. It looks like it was built for further phases of Opera that never materialized.

It would probably be a better solution than St. Luke, which sees quite a bit of traffic from people taking shortcuts to avoid traffic lights between Wellesley and College and is narrower with poor sight lines (and is often filled with delivery trucks for Sobeys).

Yes ideally the Opera entrance should be shared, and that dead greenspace in the loop should be planted with trees.

My idea is to turn St Luke lane into a brick-paved and landscaped woonerf restricting vehicle access to residents and business owners only.

Now re: a park. One idea I have is to have a large landscaped terrace sort of like at Ice Condos only accessible to all. Similar to many BIG/JDS etc proposals around the world.

My current proposal is for three towers with the greenspace consisting of woonerf, widened landscaped sidewalks on Wellesley & Breadalbane with extensive tree canopy, and the real game changer: redesigned YMCA parkette (it looks cool in plan but in reality it is a total failure as it stands today.)

Last edited:
Reconfiguring and reducing the size of the roundabout (it's much wider than it needs to be) along with working out an agreement for underground access to the 11 Wellesley W. tower(s) parking via the roundabout would be ideal. One or two towers along the north end of the site, a park that gets turned over to the city for maintenance to the south of the building and it flows nicely into the parkettes on the south side of Breadalbane St. Win-win.

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...icationsList.do?action=init&folderRsn=3319412

11 WELLESLEY ST W
Ward 27 - Tor & E.York
OPA / Rezoning

Rezoning application for a mixed-use development consisting of two residential towers at 45 and 54 storeys in height with a 9-10 storey podium. The development will have a total gross floor area of 90700 square metres and will feature 1304 dwelling units above a 1 storey of street-related retail space. The development will incorporate and frame the proposed public park.

Yes ideally the Opera entrance should be shared, and that dead greenspace in the loop should be planted with trees.

My idea is to turn St Luke lane into a brick-paved and landscaped woonerf restricting vehicle access to residents and business owners only.

Now re: a park. One idea I have is to have a large landscaped terrace sort of like at Ice Condos only accessible to all. Similar to many BIG/JDS etc proposals around the world.

My current proposal is for three towers with the greenspace consisting of woonerf, widened landscaped sidewalks on Wellesley & Breadalbane with extensive tree canopy, and the real game changer: redesigned YMCA parkette (it looks cool in plan but in reality it is a total failure as it stands today.)

The landscaped terrace/podium idea I like. Perhaps it could be designed with a slope/steps down to the sidewalk, allowing pedestrians to walk up the grade and effectively onto the landscaped roof; Kind of like the subway entrance planned at E Condos. This way a seamless connection would be made, as opposed to having potential park users search for the entrance.

Article in Toronto Star has a possible rendering of the tower and park:

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha..._lot_sold_to_developer_but_park_possible.html

Image from that article:

11_wellesley_hi_res.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

Seriously? They're not going to tear down that hideous stretch of crap on Yonge as part of this proposal? As soon a this park is build, that low rise lot on Yonge in the block immediately to the S of this one will instantly be "protected" from future development to avoid shadowing...in a downtown park in the heart of the city. Sigh... :(

Last edited:

Back