Toronto Waterworks Building Redevelopment | 47.55m | 13s | MOD Developments | Diamond Schmitt

Then and Now:

2016:

IMG_20160524_1125560.jpg

Last night:

June252024.jpg

I've put up a story on the front page that covers most of what is in the food hall...

I'll just add here the current offerings at Scooped by Demetres...

IMG_4272.jpeg
IMG_4289.jpeg
IMG_4291.jpeg

...and say that that Cajeta Swirled Goat Cheese ice cream cone was so, so good.

I've put up a story on the front page that covers most of what is in the food hall...

I'll just add here the current offerings at Scooped by Demetres...

View attachment 577355View attachment 577356View attachment 577357

...and say that that Cajeta Swirled Goat Cheese ice cream cone was so, so good.

Someone lands all the best interactive reporting gigs for UT........

Excellent coverage of the spot but a little less culinary detail than 'The Well'. Did you grab/try anything else?

Side note, Demetres is making a huge push............they've been around for decades now......... but I just saw that they've put branded ice cream tubs in local gourmet supermarkets, all that and many new outposts. They're up to 11 of the mainline stores now, and this is the third installment of Scooped.

Last edited:
Side note, Demetres is making a huge push............they've been around for decades now......... but I just saw that they've put branded ice cream tubs in local gourmet supermarkets, all that and many new outposts. They're up to 11 of the mainline stores now, and this is the third installment of Scooped.

These guys take ice cream very seriously.

...Mr. 42, soon to be our very round man in the red coat! <3

(Makes me round just looking at that ice cream cone! >.< )

Someone lands all the best interactive reporting gigs for UT........

Excellent coverage of the spot but a little less culinary detail than 'The Well'. Did you grab/try anything else?

I sampled from…
Aburi Sushi: enjoyed one piece each of the ebi, salmon, and tuna torched sushis.
Harry's Charbroiled: veggie patty slider. not bad... but if I were ordering from them on a regular visit, I'd try a meat product.
Vit Beo: really delicious nibble that was representative of a cone-shaped wrap they sell, something like a Vietnamese version of a shawarma. A full one of those is what I will order on my next visit!
Musoshin: noodles and some toppings, but no broth in the sample. (I love their ramen from their Roncy location.)
Pizzeria Popolo: smallish square (can't remember the toppings, but the bread part was focaccia-like.)
Otto's Berlin Doner: a couple cut up pieces of weisswurst with curry sauce drizzled over them, what one would expect
SOI (which is Thai for side street or laneway or alley) I had a pomegranate and grapefruit salad that was quite delicious and perfect for cutting through the richness of some of the other samples!
These guys take ice cream very seriously.
I'm a huge fan of well concocted goat milk products as cow's milk and I don't get along (unless I pop a pill…) so that first flavour on the list was instantly attractive to me and exceeded my expectations... and based on how good it was, it makes me want to pop those lactaid pills and gradually make my way through the entire list!
...Mr. 42, soon to be our very round man in the red coat! <3

(Makes me round just looking at that ice cream cone! >.< )
I'm not likely to make it there more than once every couple of months, so the bathroom scale is saved from heavy workouts for the moment!
Based on NL's note above though, I will need to avoid Demetres in the grocery stores if I want to keep rockin' the beach bod this summer!
Can’t wait to visit when it’s less crowded.
The shots are from a media event, so it was more crowded than normal…
You may be waiting a while!
…but yeah, I expect that Thursday, Friday, Saturdays, maybe Sundays will be overly well attended for a while, but part of the fun of being there is the close quarters...

If it's a Covid's-still-around thing, I respect that, so I expect Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays will be a little quieter (and those, along with Sundays, are the nights it closes earlier anyway — 10 instead of midnight on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays. 11 AM openings every day.

I sampled from…
Aburi Sushi: enjoyed one piece each of the ebi, salmon, and tuna torched sushis.

Sounds good.

Harry's Charbroiled: veggie patty slider. not bad... but if I were ordering from them on a regular visit, I'd try a meat product.

Tried their Little India outpost.......wasn't particularly impressed. Had the burger, it was decent, but very skinny, fully priced. I asked about the fries and onion rings and both were frozen products.

Vit Beo: really delicious nibble that was representative of a cone-shaped wrap they sell, something like a Vietnamese version of a shawarma. A full one of those is what I will order on my next visit!

On my must try list, TY.

Musoshin: noodles and some toppings, but no broth in the sample. (I love their ramen from their Roncy location.)

Never tried them, worth a look, I enjoy a good Ramen.

Pizzeria Popolo: smallish square (can't remember the toppings, but the bread part was focaccia-like.)

Crust sounds yummy. That's how I'd describe the Fabricca / McEwan pizza crust.

SOI (which is Thai for side street or laneway or alley) I had a pomegranate and grapefruit salad that was quite delicious and perfect for cutting through the richness of some of the other samples!

I'm not normally a fruit salad type....but you make a solid case!

Thanks for the augmented review, it will inform my visit!

I will definitely check this out at some point. It was exciting to see the food hall at The Well being so popular, and I imagine there will be crowds here too. Vit Beo on Bloor is super busy at nights and hopefully this extra outpost keeps the magic. Musoshin is on the Michelin Guide, no stars or Bib, still an achievement over the other chains in town. Would be great if the Bloor/Bathurst Mirvish development can repeat the success of these venues when it opens.

The Food Hall concept is not new in town though. There was much fanfare when Chef's Hall opened just south of Sheraton. But with a few of the bigger names gone, it seems to have lost its lustre. Maybe I was just not going there at the busiest times of the day?

Back