Toronto Waterworks Building Redevelopment | 47.55m | 13s | MOD Developments | Diamond Schmitt

Walked into the Courtyard yesterday, and tried to take some pics through the glass door. It doesn't look like the Food Hall will be open any time soon. I guess it might be next summer for the opening:

View attachment 505452
View attachment 505453

This photo is from the Park side:

View attachment 505454

'That looks a alot further along than you think.

The paper is protecting the final finish on the floors, looks like most of the ceiling and final lighting is also in place.

Obviously we don't know the state of the fit-out for kitchens/vendors, but the main space looks like its pretty close, needs tables/chairs etc.

Sneak peek:
IMG_20230916_162309.jpg
IMG_20230916_162327.jpg
IMG_20230916_164240.jpg

Unfortunately, it looks like the Urban Forestry department has decided that the largest and oldest tree in St. Andrew's Playground has to be removed. To my untrained eye, the tree seems perfectly healthy and only needs pruning, however the city may be concerned about falling branches. I've reached out to Councillor Malik's office to try to get them involved to stop this from happening. Would welcome my fellow UT-ers to add some pressure (councillor_malik@toronto.ca) to help save this tree (which actually shows in an archival pic from 1914 below):

treestandrew.jpg
treestandrew1.jpg
tree.jpg
s0372_ss0052_it0422.jpg

A large maple across the road from my place was cut down this morning. From the outside it looked great and healthy (to my untrained eye) but the inside was all rotten and hollow and very much in danger of falling. Perhaps the inside of this tree is rotten as well.

There was a tree that collapsed recently in Victoria Memorial Square nearby that thankfully didn't injure anyone but easily could have hurt people.

The stresses and strains of an urban lifestyle for certain tree species may well shorten their useful or perhaps more usefully stated, safe lifespan, then those in the back lot in a rural location. And the risk of a fall in the back lot runs into the category of a normal life cycle event on the ever changing forest.

PLEASE KEEP UP THE PRESSURE!
If it is purely structural, there are ways to fill cavities and support the tree in place. Different than if the tree is unsalvageable due to a disease.

---
The response I got from Cllr. Malik's office:

Good morning,

Thank you for reaching out to Councillor Malik and sharing your thoughts and concerns with our office. And thank you for including that great historical photo of the park, I've saved it as my computer background!

We understand the importance of old trees in our communities and the benefits they provide, and support the City's goal of increasing the tree canopy to 40 percent by 2050.

Forestry Operations staff originally had this tree scheduled for pruning for health and clearance issues. During the process of this work, their crews identified structural issues that they felt required a secondary inspection by Urban Forestry's Arborist Inspectors.

Upon inspection, there were several large cavities identified within the structure of the tree and tree trunk which the inspector determined made this tree no longer viable due to structural integrity.

I’ve been in communication with staff and have been advised that the area supervisor will have another inspector look at this tree to ensure they are managing this tree and public safety in the most appropriate manner and have put the removal on hold until this inspection is completed.

I will follow up once the third inspection has been completed. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Marouan Malaeb-Proulx
Constituency Advisor
Marouan.Malaeb-Proulx3@toronto.ca

After they get a third opinion, they should just do what the experts advise. The City doesn't go around cutting down trees for fun; it's a safety concern.

It's fine to question the decision, but this is not a political issue of "saving the tree".

If anything, the City is more often criticized for not aggressively inspecting and cutting down trees: Women Dies in Tree Branch Collapse

Last edited:
After they get a third opinion, they should just do what the experts advise. The City doesn't go around cutting down trees for fun; it's a safety concern.

It's fine to question the decision, but this is not a political issue of "saving the tree".

If anything, the City is more often criticized for not aggressively inspecting and cutting down trees: Women Dies in Tree Branch Collapse
I will willing admit that a part of me will be saddened to see this tree felled. And I certainly don't think I am the only one in this boat. But I also believe that peoples' safety should always come first here...

...at the same time this is also, like with all living organisms, part of the life and death cycle when somethings had it's day. So even without human intervention, it's likely going to come down anyways. It is what it is, unfortunately.

I can see this being a really tough call... /sigh

all true - BUT
Given that the issue is one of structural stability, not disease, it is unfortunate that the City is unwilling to spend the money utilizing various methods to fill the cavities and to stabilize the tree, .. this is done in MANY places around the world and closer to home at U of T, to preserve the 100+ year old trees . City staff has not done analysis to determine if there are any ways the tree could be stabilized using these traditional methods.

Super critical the City finds a way to shore up and protect our oldest trees - the long term risk of losing our mature canopy is huge... as you know these trees are some of our most critical climate / pollution mitigation tools... If each time a healthy mature tree poses a “structural” risk is chopped we are doomed.

Back