Toronto Waterworks Building Redevelopment | 47.55m | 13s | MOD Developments | Diamond Schmitt

6952D288-832D-4013-B854-3F8417733769.jpeg
782BB6BC-B7DD-4C18-BA03-6D99B526A72E.jpeg
95016A04-AEE5-4F40-862D-1C5FC6D5EA1C.jpeg

Last edited:
I am very much on team “Toronto needs way more colour in its built environment” but equally unsure about the yellow here.

Overall, I'm not particularly happy w/the park space.

I need to experience it in person to render proper judgement.......

But my overall 'feel' based on the images posted is one of quality materials (with some exceptions) incorrectly used in this space)

I feel there are a series of well intended but poorly thought out gestures.............

Perhaps I will be proved wrong by social consensus, and would be happy to be...........

But I'm just not satisfied w/the product here.

By no means is it June Callwood Park terrible................

But neither is it St. James Park wonderful.

If they mimic the condo interior in the food hall I think it all works. The black accents and wood are all major elements inside waterworks. And I agree the yellow is definitely a nod to rotblotts which people just refer to as the yellow hardware store.

June Callwood Park needs to come here to take some lessons...

I respect and appreciate projects going for some colour but I don't love the yellow personally, hopefully it looks better as it fades. It seems random and not integrated. Pulling in a secondary colour like a blue or red in addition to the yellow would have helped.

The park looks nice, hard to judge when it's dark and wintertime. I love the yellow accents, they pops nicely with the black and reference the context too. They did a good job retaining the mature trees but it's a shame that the sidewalks weren't widened (though likely out of scope). Would've been nice to have seen more pavers instead of plain concrete along the paths but that just comes down to the budget (as these are $$$)

Looking forward to seeing the park in summer, buzzing like Grange Park hopefully.

Back