Toronto Waterlink at Pier 27 | 43.89m | 14s | Cityzen | a—A

The city swapped lands with Fernbrook/Cityzen so that they could have that wide promenade along the quay. It is indeed being handled by Waterfront Toronto. This is the foot of Yonge st. I certainly hope it is done right. I've seen plans with a wave deck there but they were drafted even before Pier 27 was announced. One thing that is definitely going is Cpt. John's.

I think that given that this is the foot of our main street, it would be a fitting gesture to prolong it further into the water as a pedestrian boardwalk finger pier with some sort of monument or iconic structure at the end.

i.e. Foster/Zeidler's waterfront proposal:
toronto2a.jpeg

Last edited:
The city swapped lands with Fernbrook/Cityzen so that they could have that wide promenade along the quay. It is indeed being handled by Waterfront Toronto. This is the foot of Yonge st. I certainly hope it is done right. I've seen plans with a wave deck there but they were drafted even before Pier 27 was announced. One thing that is definitely going is Cpt. John's.

Waterfront Toronto's involvement is welcome news. I agree, some monumentality would be appropriate for the foot of this legendary street.

Thank goodness..

One thing that is definitely going is Cpt. John's.

Finally, the boat has sunk. A little off topic, but that place had the worst food ever. I think the only reason people went there was because of the novelty.
With that gone, the area will definately get some more class.

The bad food there is legendary so it seems. Good news is that their lease with the city is coming to an end and Waterfront Toronto has made sure it won't be renewed. Last I heard they were trying to sell the boat.

@buzz tweeted today that it looks like Fernbrook/Cityzen will be launching Phase 3 of Pier 27 this fall.....

I think that given that this is the foot of our main street, it would be a fitting gesture to prolong it further into the water as a pedestrian boardwalk finger pier with some sort of monument or iconic structure at the end.

How about a fair size screen with a video on a loop. It would be a high speed video of the trip from Rainy River (the end of Yonge) to the foot of Yonge. Maybe lasting about 2 mins.

The problem with that is Yonge does not go to Rainy River, and never has.

OK, then why don't we re-name Highway 11 Yonge Street? Then it would, and pedants could stop pouring cold water on the fun the rest of us have with this romantic idea, and we could put up our video loop (which I agree would be amusing).

Toronto only has authority over the names of the streets and roads inside its territory. I really doubt that the rest of Ontario would want to rename Highway 11 to Yonge Street. Why in the world would they want to do so? To satisfy people inside Toronto who buy into that ridiculous story about Yonge Street? I don't think so. Most towns that it passes through have already renamed the portion of Highway 11 in their municipal boundaries already, usually to something like Main Street.

Please, just get over it already. That story about Yonge Street being the longest street in the world is just that, a fabricated story, thought up by some marketing type in the 1970s.

Toronto only has authority over the names of the streets and roads inside its territory. I really doubt that the rest of Ontario would want to rename Highway 11 to Yonge Street. Why in the world would they want to do so? To satisfy people inside Toronto who buy into that ridiculous story about Yonge Street? I don't think so. Most towns that it passes through have already renamed the portion of Highway 11 in their municipal boundaries already, usually to something like Main Street.

Please, just get over it already. That story about Yonge Street being the longest street in the world is just that, a fabricated story, thought up by some marketing type in the 1970s.

But those towns would get to share in the romance of having the longest street as their main street. Besides, why wouldn't they want to be like Toronto? It's the kind of successful city their founders might have dreamed of when planting the proverbial first seeds of their settlements.

Back