Toronto Waterlink at Pier 27 | 43.89m | 14s | Cityzen | a—A

Is there no retail or even a cafe anywhere in all these buildings? If not, that's a shame. Would have it killed them to put in one tiny amenity for the public, in this complex? That's such a small consession. (and a no brainer) All waterfront developments need to take the public into consideration and give something back to the city. A nice 2 story, fine dining establishment would work beautifully here. I hate the fact that the foot of Yonge Street, is used for a few private apartments and nothing else. Christ, it's only the most famous street in Canada and the main street of the city. I love the designs of these buildings but what a waste of space.

This prominant site deserved something much more animated and festive. Condos can go anywhere but we only have ONE central waterfront. West of Yonge, it's already seriously messed up to York Street. You'd have thought, lessons would have been learned but clearly, that's not the case. No buildings south of Queen's Quay should be zoned single use for private apartments. It needs to be mixed use so the public can enjoy it too. Sorry but a small promenade, just doesn't cut it for me.

Nice to see the waterfront land East of Yonge St. being developed.

Is there no retail or even a cafe anywhere in all these buildings? If not, that's a shame. Would have it killed them to put in one tiny amenity for the public, in this complex? That's such a small consession. (and a no brainer) All waterfront developments need to take the public into consideration and give something back to the city. A nice 2 story, fine dining establishment would work beautifully here. I hate the fact that the foot of Yonge Street, is used for a few private apartments and nothing else. Christ, it's only the most famous street in Canada and the main street of the city. I love the designs of these buildings but what a waste of space.

This prominant site deserved something much more animated and festive. Condos can go anywhere but we only have ONE central waterfront. West of Yonge, it's already seriously messed up to York Street. You'd have thought, lessons would have been learned but clearly, that's not the case. No buildings south of Queen's Quay should be zoned single use for private apartments. It needs to be mixed use so the public can enjoy it too. Sorry but a small promenade, just doesn't cut it for me.

Totally agree. It's a great looking building but that doesn't eliminate concerns I have about the way it will meet Queen's Quay and also the way it will meet the boardwalk.

Isn't there retail in the part that faces Queens Quay? (I thought there was) If not, that's a really bad thing. All of Queens Quay needs retail, as well as other public amenities and amusements. It's our waterfront, it can't just be for the use of condo owners.

There's retail proposed in each building in Phase 2 along Queen's Quay and all along the Yonge Street slip/parkland/promenade in the 35-storey building. See pg. 11 of this preliminary Official Plan Amendment and Rezoning report: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2010/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-31171.pdf

Personally I think what is proposed is sufficient. I don't see the need for retail/commercial uses along the south promenade beside the water. As long as it is publicly accessible then that should be sufficient. Not every square inch of the ground floor must be commercial.

...... I hate the fact that the foot of Yonge Street, is used for a few private apartments and nothing else. Christ, it's only the most famous street in Canada and the main street of the city. I love the designs of these buildings but what a waste of space. ...... Condos can go anywhere but we only have ONE central waterfront. West of Yonge, it's already seriously messed up to York Street. You'd have thought, lessons would have been learned but clearly, that's not the case. No buildings south of Queen's Quay should be zoned single use for private apartments. It needs to be mixed use so the public can enjoy it too. Sorry but a small promenade, just doesn't cut it for me.

Yet, oddly enough, some of the first developments south of the Quay ( in the 1970s ) were condos - at a time when many people thought the idea of heading south from Union Station and crossing railway tracks to do anything by the lake, let alone living by it, was nuts. Such pioneering residential ventures helped to change our ideas of what the waterfront could become.

There's retail proposed in each building in Phase 2 along Queen's Quay and all along the Yonge Street slip/parkland/promenade in the 35-storey building. See pg. 11 of this preliminary Official Plan Amendment and Rezoning report: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2010/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-31171.pdf

Personally I think what is proposed is sufficient. I don't see the need for retail/commercial uses along the south promenade beside the water. As long as it is publicly accessible then that should be sufficient. Not every square inch of the ground floor must be commercial.

I meant the part that faces the water. (not so much stores, I meant public amenities, restaurants, things for people to do) I realize Queen's Quay is where the retail will be focused. (and I am glad that it will have that retail)

I still think a nice restaurant, facing the water, as well as a cafe, with an outdoor patio, would have made this development so much nicer. I know we don't have the weather of Sydney but think Darling Harbour, (or closer to home, South Street Seaport in NYC) with all those great restaurants. It's such a great meeting place. Look how much more animated Queen's Quay Terminal became after they oppened those big, outdoor reastaurant patios? It made a big difference. The same applies to other parts of the waterfront. If we want to create great public spaces, where people will come, we need to give them a reason to come. Just building a boardwalk along the water, is not good enough. We have miles of underused boardwalk as it is. Now give us something to do besides watching the seagulls shit everywhere.

Last edited:
Yet, oddly enough, some of the first developments south of the Quay ( in the 1970s ) were condos - at a time when many people thought the idea of heading south from Union Station and crossing railway tracks to do anything by the lake, let alone living by it, was nuts. Such pioneering residential ventures helped to change our ideas of what the waterfront could become.

Yes, back then, ANYTHING was good enough but today, we expect a whole lot more. This is the downtown, central waterfront, after-all. Those Condos on Bay could use a serious renovation, especially along Queen's Quay. It's really ugly!

I'm also glad that they had the forethought to create green space south of Harbour Square - a forerunner of sorts to the Music Garden, Ht0, and Sugar Beach that has been well enjoyed over the decades.

from today
20110326161.jpg

20110326162.jpg

Great lot of pics Jason - you were busy yesterday!

What is planned for the area where their rather nice sales office is now? Another phase? Also any ideas on what Waterfront Toronto is going to do with the strip on east side of Yonge which is still used as a car-park - presumably a small park like Sugar Beach.

Great lot of pics Jason - you were busy yesterday!

What is planned for the area where their rather nice sales office is now? Another phase? Also any ideas on what Waterfront Toronto is going to do with the strip on east side of Yonge which is still used as a car-park - presumably a small park like Sugar Beach.

From what i understood in the York Quay Revitalization plan..they were to have an open market square plus a market building, and also a new ferry terminal across the waters edge. Now it looks like there is not enough area left to build anything let alone a new ferry dock.

DSC, you're a regular contributor - how could you have missed the rendering below? Just go back a page and you'll see a plan from the air. There's been lots of talk about the next phases on the forum.

Back