Toronto Waterlink at Pier 27 | 43.89m | 14s | Cityzen | a—A

the most symbolic and important site on the waterfront

Presumably the location of this bit of hyperbole will shift along with its partners in ridiculousness, the most important, busiest and best known intersections in Toronto/Canada/the universe, variously found Queen & University, Yonge & Dundas and Yonge & Bloor, depending on which ill thought out argument is being made?

I'm not sure which other arguments you're referring to, but pretty much anyone in this city, you and your friends aside I'm sure, would consider Yonge to be the historic main street. It follow rather logically, therefore, that the intersection of Yonge and the waterfront is the most symbolic and important.

these were posted by thryve over at SSC...what a beautiful project....

pier27dst6.png

I am opposed to this project because look at that complete waste of space east of the development! I cannot believe the city would approve this project. That would be the perfect location for a sugar refinery. And look at all that empty space to the north. That would be a great location for a small office tower. Maybe for a newspaper! I am writing to my councillor to protest immediately.

I'm not sure which other arguments you're referring to, but pretty much anyone in this city, you and your friends aside I'm sure, would consider Yonge to be the historic main street. It follow rather logically, therefore, that the intersection of Yonge and the waterfront is the most symbolic and important.

Symbolic of what? Important to whom? And why? Just saying something is symbolic and important doesn't make it so.

The "longest street in the world" pr line was popular for many years, but are people still in awe of the concept in this day and age? Is Y-O-N-G-E what it used to be? Aren't we promoting, and thinking of the city, in several other ways now?

And it wasn't true even when it was popular. It's sort of like the historic value of Yonge & Queens Quay. There's nothing historic about it, because it was all under water until fairly recently.

Perhaps boosters of the concept that the once-watery site has significance could re-enact the historic sinking of Captain John's Submarine every year, on the anniversary?

Symbolic of what? Important to whom? And why? Just saying something is symbolic and important doesn't make it so.

Seems pretty self-evident that Yonge Street is an 'important' street. Do you really need a treatise on this?

Pier 27 is a beautiful building, but I too think that a different location would have been better. Exclusive 'towers in the park' or exlusive 'towers on the waterfront' hardly seem like the exciting urban waterfront we've been waiting for.

Perhaps boosters of the concept that the once-watery site has significance could re-enact the historic sinking of Captain John's Submarine every year, on the anniversary?

I myself would prefer it if a state barge could be build, all gilt and red velvet, and then the mayor could be rowed out into the harbour once a year to drop a wedding ring in, like the Doge used to do in Venice. Now THAT was a civic benefit.

The worst part about this project is how it has nothing to do with the street- but everything to do with privitizing the waterfront. If you look at the latest renderings which show both buildings, you can see how much space is wasted along Front St. and how this will ultimately result in a large loss for the city-especially considering that they are essentially cutting the public off from the water..

architecture is fine...project is not so good...

p5

This development is the worst thing to happen to the rejuvenation of the Waterfront in a long time. Worse even than the power plant.

The design of the building itself isn't the problem, it's the layout of the building which is all wrong. It's like they've plopped this building in the middle of a large space by the lake. There appears to be an airport strip leading to the entrance. No street wall along the Quay, which means the building won't add feel to the area. No shops, restaurants or anything in the building itself, which means there is no real reason to go there, unless you live there.

How long before we start calling this the misktake by the lake?

Good design doesn't make up for a horrible layout. Just another reason not to visit the waterfront.

I guess some people would think that the worst thing that happened to that part of the waterfront was the parking lot that presently sits on what is a manmade fill. By any measure, the building will be an immense improvement.

As for the building layout (how it is situated), there are to be other developments to come. Another structure will be up by Queen's Quay.

As for restaurants, Starbucks, dry-cleaners, wax museums - all of that will come as this part of the city is developed. One can be sure that these things have not been forgotten. They just won't be in that particular building.

I think it is worth visiting the waterfront now. That general area south of Queen's Quay is desolate presently. It will be a pleasure to watch it evolve, and it's nice to see that start with a very handsome residential building like this.

Sorry, I meant to write Queensquay, not Front St. - Nonetheless, a promenade between the two buildings doesn't mean that the waterfront is not closed off to the public- it does mean access, but in all honesty this project does more or less the same as most of the other condos lining the waterfront.

p5

Seems like there's a few who feel that they must defend anything designed by Clewes. I've seen the plans submitted to the city, it's towers-in-the-park with the cul-de-sacs. It's single use zoning in the wrong place with too much useless lawns and pavement. I'd even say add two or three floors if a few cafes/restaurants etc are added to the base.

It wouldn't take much to make the development much better. Add some activity to the base. Rethink the access to the buildings. That's all.

Back