Toronto Waterlink at Pier 27 | 43.89m | 14s | Cityzen | a—A

image.jpg
image.jpg

A closer look at how they broke away from the design of the rest of the promenade. Dark wood lamp posts are a different design as the rest of the natural wood posts and the tree planters lining the edge.

I guess with this part of the promenade not connected fully with the rest, bordered by the "blast wall" and waters where Captain Johns once occupied, this part is designed for only the residences living in the building.

What a shame. On another note the East Bayside promenade should be a one to look out for.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    909.2 KB · Views: 804
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 789
Thanks for those! I think it's a little over the top to declare that this part of the promenade was designed only for the residents; most people walking this stretch will barely be able to tell the difference once the trees have grown for a few years.

Meanwhile, a trip to the islands this weekend means that I got a lot of shots of Pier 27 (and other buildings of course). Here's a selection of them:

1DSC04662.jpg
2DSC04663.jpg
DSC04619.jpg
DSC04692.jpg
DSC04754.jpg

Attachments

• 1DSC04662.jpg
    1DSC04662.jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 767
  • 2DSC04663.jpg
    2DSC04663.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 770
  • DSC04619.jpg
    DSC04619.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 756
  • DSC04692.jpg
    DSC04692.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 755
  • DSC04754.jpg
    DSC04754.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 707
A closer look at how they broke away from the design of the rest of the promenade. Dark wood lamp posts are a different design as the rest of the natural wood posts and the tree planters lining the edge.

I guess with this part of the promenade not connected fully with the rest, bordered by the "blast wall" and waters where Captain Johns once occupied, this part is designed for only the residences living in the building.

What a shame. On another note the East Bayside promenade should be a one to look out for.

Thanks! On the bright side the granite paving looks good. Did they install Silva Cells underneath though? In it's current state the tree "trough" looks rough compared to how it was handled along the rest of the promenade proper. At least they are using the same type of light fixtures, though I suspect it won't get the signature tree trunk sleeve at the bottom.

Unfortunately the site is organized in such a way that there won't be access though the ground for the public, and as such the stretch will probably work more as a private space for the moment. I think the space between the building "units" will be a POPS, but we shall see.

AoD

Last edited:
That blast wall or whatever it is kind of kills the idea of a continuous waters edge though doesn't it?

The blast wall and interruption due to Redpath is unavoidable in the short/medium term - but it shouldn't be a deterrent to public usage of that stretch given sufficient integration with local streets and the Yonge Street slip edges. I think Freeland St. is supposed to be extended southward and terminate in some kind of roundabout, but it isn't clear whether that will be a private internal street with no, limited or full pedestrian access. I think it is going to be the latter, but it helps to ask in this case.

AoD

Last edited:
Freeland Street has already been extended (although its edge treatments will change as subsequent Pier 27 phases are built), and I am 98.47% certain that the walkway between the pairs of Waterlink buildings will open to the promenade before the water's edge walkway opens along the slip up to Yonge Street. They have a lot more work to do to get the promenade built beside where Captain John's was.

Freeland Street has already been extended (although its edge treatments will change as subsequent Pier 27 phases are built), and I am 98.47% certain that the walkway between the pairs of Waterlink buildings will open to the promenade before the water's edge walkway opens along the slip up to Yonge Street. They have a lot more work to do to get the promenade built beside where Captain John's was.

It's super important to get Freeland right. In any case, I think WT has a relatively substantial strip of land on the east side of Yonge Slip that would be amenable to more than just having the standard allee treatment. Yonge Street needs a proper terminius.

AoD

Wow. That's a great way to build a public waterfront - build the F***ing Berlin wall next to it!! :p I hope that's temporary and that Redpath will eventually go.

The wall will probably tip some opinions against keeping Redpath. But it doesn't look like there's anything to see or do in the Pier 27 block. Unlike the Corus block, there are no schools or restaurants there. It seems like a waste of the waterfront--Harbour Square Part II. I hope that the new park at the foot of Yonge Street will improve it.

The wall was likely built because it's dangerous to have residents in a newly created residential neighbourhood stumble into a historical industrial property. Unless there is some sort of law prohibiting Redpath from operating at its historical location, then they will likely stay. For some reason, the sugar industry does well, or so I hear.

Back