Toronto Waterlink at Pier 27 | 43.89m | 14s | Cityzen | a—A

Xray: I think reduction of water visibility was pretty much inevitable, given the location and the pressures to develop under-used land so close to the core.

Ramako: agreed, the steelwork is very cool all on its own. Very sculptural. Great angles, too. Nice forms these buildings have - refreshing.

The heaviness of 70s architecture may not be what's in vogue right now, but they give a city a sense of permanence in a way that glass can't.

Agreed. I've started to appreciate 60s and 70s architecture just that little bit more as more glass is going up.

Talking of glass, it looks like we're getting two different styles of glazing going up on Waterlink. One building appears to have more of a green tint.

Last edited:
Agreed. I've started to appreciate 60s and 70s architecture just that little bit more as more glass is going up.
Me too. 10 years ago I never would have thought I'd see the day that I say to myself "I like the Sheraton and Manulife buildings".

I find the eastern wall on Pier 27 to be decent - perhaps because of this new-found interest in slabs. :p I'm confident that these buildings will look amazing when all is said an done. As for the next few phases, I'm going to reserve judgement for now.

This development is going to have a very positive impact on the waterfront from the lake and reinforces the form begun by Corus Quay and George Brown. The transition from intimate water's edge to very tall financial towers is visually very pleasing and should be added to when the midrise (20 storeys) phase II is added along Queens Quay later this decade. I have included the pic of Redpath to show how large a parcel it occupies and wonder if the pressure to develop it will increase after Waterlink is finished? Photos taken 23 February 2013.

IMG_3178_1-L.jpg

IMG_3176_1_1-L.jpg

IMG_3184_1-L.jpg

IMG_3179_1-L.jpg

Pier 27 always makes me think of those many midrise waterfront developments in cities like Copenhagen, Hamburg, Stockholm, and other various European cities that touch water. It's a shame that the next phase will be taller because we will lose that effect. I like the feel of the site as it currently stands, and I also like the fact that you can see the lake between each of the buildings, thanks to their arrangement.

The next phase will make for a nice transition to the taller buildings in the core. And it will partially obscure the Toronto Star building even further which is a very good thing.

I wish the sugar plant would paint over the hideous, rusty drab grey and go bright yellow, neon green or electric fuschia... SOMETHING to brighten up its presence on the waterfront. Toronto is in desperate need of some high-profile COLOUR

I wish the sugar plant would paint over the hideous, rusty drab grey and go bright yellow, neon green or electric fuschia... SOMETHING to brighten up its presence on the waterfront. Toronto is in desperate need of some high-profile COLOUR

Not certain there isn't a better colour they could use on the Redpath sugar plant than yellow, green or fuchsia.

Pier 27 always makes me think of those many midrise waterfront developments in cities like Copenhagen, Hamburg, Stockholm, and other various European cities that touch water. It's a shame that the next phase will be taller because we will lose that effect. I like the feel of the site as it currently stands, and I also like the fact that you can see the lake between each of the buildings, thanks to their arrangement.

I agree. A consistent mid-rise form coupled with a charming promenade would be my vision for a vibrant waterfront. It allows a more homey and pedestrian engaging neighborhood. The East Bayfront would be a perfect opportunity to exhibit this.

The next phase will make for a nice transition to the taller buildings in the core.

In my opinion, an abrupt transition. Why does the transition have to begin south of Queen's Quay (RIGHT on the water)? We have highrises all along the waterfront, I would have loved for the high-rises here to be kept north of Queen's Quay.

I'm actually happy with the height of this one. 14-15 storeys to the top seems okay.

From my vantage point I can still see over it to the tree tops on the island.

When they set up the sales pavilion, I went in an inquired, $400k to $2m per unit. Since then it's been on a very slow pace. I suspect sales are not too strong, unless there has been some other reason for a delay.

Given the steel truss bridges, I can't help but think they handi-capped themselves in the market, because such a feature has no appearent use except bragging rights for the future occupants.

Great photos, from the island ferry no doubt.

Planning documents, that were submitted to the city well over a year ago. It would go a bit east from captain johns, with a public park between the tower and the water that captain johns currenty occupies.

Back