Toronto Waterfront Innovation Centre | 53.03m | 11s | Waterfront Toronto | Sweeny &Co

Today

836DEAE4-CB67-44FC-A716-70188A0D555E.jpeg

7DDE2B06-7ECC-4080-88B8-015F6C3A5329.jpeg

55CA1EF0-95B3-4204-94DB-9146C26F7C41.jpeg

8E9F69D7-1BC9-4E1E-B56A-166C3682A52B.jpeg

The building is just passing from being 100% Menkes owned to 50% Menkes, 50% BentallGreenOak.

May I ask why you believe this? Do you have an inside scoop? I would think having big companies like Sun Life and potentially Alphabet will work to influence the process at city hall.
I am afraid I must agree with @Amare but there MAY be some hope..... . Though WT and the City sold land to many developers of sites south of QQ (Corus, GBC, Aqua) with the promise that the QQE LRT would be built, you will have noticed that these buildings have been completed and we are not (much) closer to seeing the promised LRT. However, the City and WT have been working on it and the plans for the surface part are pretty well advanced. The problem remains the cost and complexity of the tunnel part and the loop at Union. Even here there is some movement as the CIBC Place building has an area in their basement adjacent to Bay St set aside for an LRT platform and I would not be surprised if the developers of The Hub (30 Bay) may be required to make a similar 'donation'. There is also talk of a temporary link along QQ between Bay and Yonge that would allow streetcars to go east to Parliament and turn round while the tunnel/loop are closed and being expanded. There was supposed to be a Report coming to Council about now but .....

May I ask why you believe this? Do you have an inside scoop? I would think having big companies like Sun Life and potentially Alphabet will work to influence the process at city hall.
@DSC pretty much summarized it all for me.

The only thing I would add is that it will ultimately be the city that will have to pay for the LRT, not private companies. Sidewalk Labs has been trying to influence the process by putting forth some crazy proposals to pay for some of the cost, but the proposals are so outlandish that the city would never agree to them (*unless we happen to elect some crazy quack mayor in the future*).

Asides from this though, big companies haven't really tried to influence the process at city hall asides from trying to pressure them into building it since they were promised that it would be built by the city. However we've seen this exercise time and time again, and quite frankly its an exercise of futility.

Back